Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Shooting a propane tank - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,806 Times in 9,914 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Feb 9, 2023), nova_robotics (Feb 9, 2023)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Something Hunter S. Thompson would have done...

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I've seen some 100 pound vertical tanks blow out the bottom at a house fire and take off like an MX missile. They were jumping around and all at once just vented. They went up a ways in the air and exploded, dropping deadly metal shards to the ground. Makes a heck of an explosion noise and can be seen for miles around.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tlnixon For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Feb 9, 2023)

Thanks

stillldoinit's Tools
    Before moving from Illinois, I had a big auction and scrappers had a 20 pound propane About 3/4 full on their load ready to go to scrap yard. The guy blew a hole right in the side below liquid level. I thought the guy had a death wish, nothing happened. He said he had been doing that for 30 years. His gonads are a lot bigger than mine. He used a cutting torch.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    When I was younger, my Dad was on a volunteer Fire Department in the little town we lived in. They got a call from the local Gasoline, heating oil kerosene, etc. supplier who had several large tanks. He told Dad that one of their large, tall gasoline tanks was leaking and they were emptying it out in preparation of welding up the leak. They wanted the Fire Department to stand-by while they did the welding.

My Dad about had a cow! He told them he was going to be over in an adjoining county if they did it that way. He said the empty tank would still be full of explosive vapors and would surely explode and probably level the downtown.

So they asked him how to do it. He told them to fill the tank back-up and weld it. They were at the firehouse waiting, and of course except for a little gasoline burning off near the crack near the bottom of the tank, nothing happened.

It's the vapors, not the liquid that is deadly, BUT, a tank leaking liquid propane can cause ice to freeze around the leak as it escapes, enough ice can form that the other escaping gas can cause enough friction to self-ignite or perhaps even explode.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by tlnixon; Feb 15, 2023 at 04:28 PM. Reason: added additional information

Thread Information