Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Shop Truths, Phrases, Tales; and Outright Lies

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Congrats on getting going into the new diggs Frank, but man that is a lot of Stuff. Here I thought moving my Dads place the last time was a task. Took a day to move the house and a week+ to move the shop and Stuff. Good Luck with the load and do be careful. ~PJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Sep 15, 2016), Paul Jones (Sep 16, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 15, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    WOW! It's hard to get even my pack rat brain around the sheer tonnage you are talking about Frank! I'm saving this and showing it to the SO, she think I have a lot of STUFF! I am glad I hung on to the raw material that 'bout killed the moving truck because there are no good places to get cheap material here.

My brother is trying to move from CA to PA, all in one shot. And he is the king of junk. Even he is getting to where he's having to edit to the bare bones. One that went away already was a huge mill he gave away for $1000.

Good luck and safe journey.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 16, 2016), PJs (Sep 17, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 15, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Paul Jones, Yes, I haven't seen a single Bee in months.
    -=-=-=-
    PJs thanks and yes it is a lot of stuff but I have always been the king of accumulation .One of my friends once said that if I were to somehow wake up one morning on the moon with little more than my space suit and a week's worth of air when the time came for my extraction it would require the cargo hold of 2 space shuttles to haul everything I had accumulated back to Earth.
    -=-=-=-
    C-bag in the past 8 months I have carted over 30 tons of scrap that in my mind actually wasn't, across the scales. I could visualize a new tool or piece of equipment made from every hunk of metal hucked into the bin. OH, the inhumanity! But as painful as it is sometimes it is better to turn things into cash than to think about them. My wife often says that I can find a use for a bent rusty nail, probably because she has seen me pick one up and do just that. But I come by it honestly. My Grand father had a saying ( Keep it for 7 years then if it hadn't been used, keep for another 7 because the day after you get rid of it you will need it)
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 16, 2016), Philip Davies (Jun 13, 2021), PJs (Sep 17, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 16, 2016)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Well we arrived out here this afternoon while mother nature was dumping barrels of water on our heads. instead of pulling straight in under the carport so we could get out of the truck in the dry I opted to back the little trailer under it instead since I have 20 sheets of roof decking on it that is not very well wrapped to protect it from such an onslaught. Driving down the road at 60 MPH most of the water would be blown off but I figured just sitting overnight wouldn't do it any good so we got soaked instead. Heck we both probably needed a shower anyway LOL.
    the truck won't arrive until after midnight because Bob had to visit his dad in the hospital first. Just as well we couldn't have unloaded it this evening anyway.
    As much as I really need to be back in Ft. Worth to build up another load I want to get the roof torn off the mud room and replaced with sheet metal. the rest of the house has a steel roof but the 12 by 20 addition on the back of the house has a stupidly flat roof with asphalt shingles (WHAT WERE THEY THINKING) anyway I have to create some amount of slope and repair it Hope to get started on it Saturday morning since it is supposed to dump a few buckets full or rain tomorrow afternoon again.
    I also want to jerk the wood stove out of the living room and temporarily seal up the chimney hole until I can replace the rusted out triple pipe and sandblast then paint the old stove with KBS high temp paint. So we are probably looking at Wednesday night before returning to FT Worth
    Dang why couldn't my kids have given me half a dozen grand sons who would be willing to learn some things LOL

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 16, 2016), PJs (Sep 17, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 16, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Scrap? Junk? Fall-off! Remnant! Depends on who paid for them; who's willing to get them moved.

It's scrap when you can't hold it; alpha-list follows......many appropriate for some materials, others use few. Just consider the end result needed. Adhesive, Band , Bolt, Cerro, Chuck, Clamp, Collet, Dowel, Fuse, Heat-Sink, Hemostat, Magnet, Nail, Pin, Pliers, Potting, Rivet, Screw, Solder, Strap, Tack, Vacuum, Vise, Weld.......You may need to hide it until a method is devised.

Frank S; if not smack-dab middle of new employment I'd be there....I get what you are doing 100%. My move was fair sized; 1 full flatbed, 1 lowboy full, 1/2 one more flatbed, 20' container full, two 16' foot vans full, 1 car trailer full, and a little over half a commercial moving van. As pointed out before, avatar is Mr. Green swung by 80' crane......then flew back for little Toyota pickup not full; to round up ebay purchases on the way. Left empty arrived full.

Not moving again.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Sep 16, 2016 at 07:14 AM. Reason: ah, the memories.......
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 16, 2016), PJs (Sep 17, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Yup, I totally agree. I got used to just going out to my FIL( father in law) shop after he retired and just find whatever I needed. That was one of the last to get liquidated after my inlaws departed this world. And it was FULL of cool stuff that most of my posted projects were made with. To the end of my days I'll see those things I let go always with a grimace.

I love Frank S's keep it another 7 years after the 7 you've not used it because the nano second after it really goes away, here comes the perfect project for it. More than one place I worked I turned their bone yard into equipment. So I can feel that absolute division of needing to toss it, and already missing it. Almost every post of Frank's I see the material used in the project and the stuff surrounding it and am jealous. I loved having the material at hand. A major part of my creative process is derailed by having to go elsewhere to find material. That's why I love modding HFT's, they are uasually cheap and I don't feel the remorse of chopping it up and doing as I please as there is no connection of like wrecking a historic piece.

So you landed another job TM51 or did I misunderstand?

I am totally with you guys about hating the idea of moving. My first SO moved us 23 times in the 30yrs together. And 15yrs of that I didn't even have a garage to work out of The idea of moving is daunting, and I have nowhere near as much as you Frank and TM51.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 16, 2016), PJs (Sep 17, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 16, 2016)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    C-Bag;
    Nope not been 'caught' by worthy new boss yet. Think I forgot typing 'search' as in '.....middle of'. All the same sometimes. Nice leads, a gamut of places, and two I tried very seriously 4 years back. Guess they picked the wrong guy after all.
    Could've told em' that.
    LoL
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    C-Bag;
    Nope not been 'caught' by worthy new boss yet. Think I forgot typing 'search' as in '.....middle of'. All the same sometimes. Nice leads, a gamut of places, and two I tried very seriously 4 years back. Guess they picked the wrong guy after all.
    Could've told em' that.
    LoL

a twofer???
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Guys part of what keeps my life interesting is my inherent inability to jusr say NO then walk away.
    For instance a customer of mine that I have been doing work for since time immemorial (well over 37 years at least), asked me about a year ago to build an extension for the bed on his dump-truck see http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/d...xtension-39328
    Instead of telling him that doing such a thing would or could cause potential problems like being harrassed by the DOT every-time they decided it would be fun to collect revenge for the State or fed guberments I told him sure no problem I'll just have to design it so as to fall in the spectrum of barely legal, plus you will have to watch your driver's daily maintenance routine otherwise you are going to be harassed to no end. Also you may have issues when you dump if your driver is not careful.
    =-=-=-=
    Well I'm currently doing a lot of tear-down demolition work which generates a lot of fluff I figure the savings in dump fees should offset the cost of it, as far as the other things I know that you will design something that will never be an issue with the DOT after the initial round of inspections. Besides I can always simply take it off and return to a regular bed.
    =-=-=
    Well after it was built and his driver got used to it, He wouldn't dream of removing it He runs on a permanent oversize / overweight registration anyway so #1 problem never enters into play.
    Both he and his brother are of the opinion that if something isn't Frank built or modified it is not worth owning.
    He is the guy who more or less told me that the Ford 750 backhoe is mine forever. he has also given me a Schramm tractor compressor that I need to pick up at his place. The backhoe boom and Pneumatic hammer are long gone but I've used the old rig in the past to power 2 sand blast units at the same time.
    Anothedr thing that keeps my life interesting is the auctions I frequent.I may go to 1 nearly flat broke then buy a few lots for scrap . Load them and haul to te recycle yard then go back and pay for the stuff that I wanted in the first place , this is also a reason why it is me so many trips back and forth to get everything loaded and moved.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 19, 2016), PJs (Sep 17, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 19, 2016)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    TM 51 the best job you will ever have will be the one that comes looking for you not the other way round.
    Keep the skills sharp and the work ethics irreproachable and they will hunt you down like bounty hunters.
    Then it is just a matter of which one has the biggest and fastest gun that you sign with. And never give up intellectual property rights to any of them. make them pay to lease those.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 19, 2016), PJs (Sep 17, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 19, 2016)

Thread Information