Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Helicopter crop sprayer refilling maneuver - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,809 Times in 9,916 Posts

Helicopter crop sprayer refilling maneuver - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (May 20, 2022), nova_robotics (May 19, 2022)

Thanks
    Just elegant.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I'm not convinced. It's the helicopter leaving (run in reverse). We need a BS imoji.

Notice how the helper holds the pull cord handle until the cord is fully retracted.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I do agree there are lots of fakes, but I do not think this is fake. He spins around approaching the truck, backs past the truck so he can see it. Tilts forward to stop his backward motion. Then lands a smooth landing.

I ran it both ways several times. I see no cuts or splices as if it has been edited. IF it is indeed being shown in reverse, when you run it the other way, why does the pilot take off from the truck, back up, fly out away from the truck, then turn around and fly backward away from the truck? Makes no sense. IF he flew toward the truck forward, then stopped before he got to the truck, then turned around and landed, the prop wash would have blown the man off the truck. As he did it, they he "put on the brakes" to stop is travel, the prop wash was past the truck.

That is how I see it. He is just a good pilot.

My dad thought me LONG AGO to ALWAYS hold onto the starter cord till it has fully retracted. Lawn mowers, chainsaws, outboard motors,anyting with a pull start, NEVER let the cord recoil unrestrained.

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't know if he's just a good pilot or a cocky pilot. It's obvious he knows how to handle his machine, but he's coming in awfully hot with little margin for error. Fixed wing cropdusters do some crazy things out over the fields, which I'm sure he does, too, but the ones I've known and knew of were all very careful and meticulous pilots, too. The already tempt fate enough every time the get to the end of a row. It's beautiful to watch them dance over the fields.

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's real. Everything about the motion and the way the helper's shirt flaps says forward motion. Also, if you had tanks that small on a sprayer chopper, you would need to refill fairly frequently so you would get a lot of practice approaching and landing o the refill truck, you would get really good at it after a season, let alone possibly a dozen seasons.
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

Thanks

hotdog0627's Tools
    None of the weeds were swaying.... the copter hasnt landed fully yet the guys shirt has stopped flopping...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayh__ View Post
    I'm not convinced. It's the helicopter leaving (run in reverse). We need a BS imoji.

Notice how the helper holds the pull cord handle until the cord is fully retracted.
    That would mean that the aircraft is flying backwards at the begging of the video. Flat and level in reverse, that is harder to believe.
    If would see some of the maneuvers that military pilots do then this video is not hard to believe at all.
    I have personally been in an OH-6 gunship where the pilot took-off at full power went straight up, rotated 180 deg with the nose down and got up to almost 60 mph ground speed at 80ft off the ground in about 2 sec. all the while not moving more than 20 ft from the original position on the tarmac. Same guy could hover that thing while we pick ed apples off a tree from different limbs. He said he had done barrels rolls and complete rotations before.
    Some of the things I have seen the CH-47 guys do deify human comprehension and leave you with the feeling that they know how to do magic.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information