Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ladder jack scaffold - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,999 Times in 9,639 Posts

Ladder jack scaffold - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

asterix (Dec 2, 2022), baja (Dec 2, 2022), johncg (Dec 4, 2022), nova_robotics (Dec 1, 2022)

Thanks

baja's Tools
    I still have two sets of the same ladder jacks and a 24' plank from my billboard painting days. I used a 40' extension ladder with hooks on each section to seat on top of the boards. If the boards had no catwalk I used the 40' and a 32' extension ladder. I did use a pulley and rope on each end to haul the plank up up and down.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Good ladders, we prefer Little Giant for most things at work, the 'new' ground cue feature is especially useful. For DIY the unprotected from falls 'plank' might be acceptable, but for work here would be totally unacceptable without independent fall arrest.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    with houses so close together the ladders had to be placed on the neighbor's property, if a worker falls which homeowner has to pay medico
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 2, 2022)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Those used to be great. But I think that they were outlawed in Canada. To many idiots. I'll check one of the big box stores maybe they are back in. I'm remembering 30 plus years ago. I like the scaffold plank.

Frank here you are supposed to have Workers Constipation. Yeah it fits when you think about it. You are also supposed to have fall arrest training which negates the insurance hence the Workers Constipation moniker.

Mark

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 2, 2022)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I don't like seeing a power tool used to fasten vinyl siding. The typical fastener is an aluminum nail to prevent rust stains that come from plated fasteners that only last a year or two before that plating fails. That battery powered tool strikes the top of the fastener, damaging the very thin electro plating. Assuming he's using roofing nails with that battery powered gun.
    Also the vinyl needs to slide under that fastener. Sure he could set the gun to just make it tight enough, but as fast as he's nailing, I bet some of the fasteners have gone through the vinyl pinning it in place. A 12'6" piece of vinyl can change it's length more then 3/8" over temperature extremes. If it does not slide, it puckers and you can tell the installer screwed up.
    That's my opinion on this. I personally use wafer headed screws, that have a large diameter head, with a Phillips driver. I use a battery power drill driver (DeWalt) with the torque setting to it's lowest. Screwing into plywood sheathing with 9/16" screws puts them perfectly seated. And if I position a piece wrong, I can remove those fasteners to correct, and not damage the vinyl slots provided for the nailing.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

asterix (Dec 2, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Dec 2, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Those used to be great. But I think that they were outlawed in Canada. To many idiots. I'll check one of the big box stores maybe they are back in. I'm remembering 30 plus years ago. I like the scaffold plank.

Frank here you are supposed to have Workers Constipation. Yeah it fits when you think about it. You are also supposed to have fall arrest training which negates the insurance hence the Workers Constipation moniker.

Mark
    Yes, and if the tag on your fall arrest gear becomes unreadable for whatever reason, it means the arrest lanyard is no longer serviceable. A worker falls, the lanyard functions properly but due to how the scaffold had to be set up major injury is caused by the fall arrest equipment workers constipation won't pickup the bill and the largest organized crime syndicate in the world called OSHA slaps the employer with a huge fine unless he happens to be on their buddy-buddy list then they go after the homeowners ins.
    All the more reason I have a huge umbrella policy attached to my home insurance
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 2, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    When i first looked at the click-bait picture it looked as though he had sod all on (clothes).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    with houses so close together the ladders had to be placed on the neighbor's property, if a worker falls which homeowner has to pay medico
    It's not the homeowners fault if a worker falls, it never is.

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Yes, and if the tag on your fall arrest gear becomes unreadable for whatever reason, it means the arrest lanyard is no longer serviceable. A worker falls, the lanyard functions properly but due to how the scaffold had to be set up major injury is caused by the fall arrest equipment workers constipation won't pickup the bill and the largest organized crime syndicate in the world called OSHA slaps the employer with a huge fine unless he happens to be on their buddy-buddy list then they go after the homeowners ins.
    All the more reason I have a huge umbrella policy attached to my home insurance
    Years ago I ran a crew that worked relatively low heights up to about 20 feet. Some of the time above ten feet we needed harnesses. I was the supervisor so I kept a tight rein on the guys. Including the in date harnesses. Hardly used but they had to be within their best before dates. I had a cheap boss that would not replace them. I looked up responsibility. They come after the Supervisor first, fine me, then the boss. So out comes the short word dictionary and explains it to the man. The turkey took the old harnesses out of the dumpster and sent the guys off to the job with them. Now I'm not happy. I ask the skill testing question. Me or buying three new harnesses? As in me quits. Small companies are all run by Tin Pot Richard Potato Heads Also know as Dick Taters. I didn't last a whole lot longer there. And haven't worked for anyone since. Most of my 35 years working as an adult have been for myself. At least There is no office politics and the boss is in the same union as the worker. Even give myself time off once in a while. But not with pay.

Mark

Thread Information