Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Black ice causes pileup - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Good grief-fog is terrifying. Ten years ago, westbound on Interstate 10, 20 miles out of Austin. Seven in the morning, and the fog was *dense*. We hit a wheel that came off of a truck from an accident in the Eastbound lane a few seconds earlier.

I managed to pull waaay off the roadway, knowing that we’d surely get hit by someone with fog vision coming in hot behind us.
    Scary stuff.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bob47907 View Post
    Good grief-fog is terrifying. Ten years ago, westbound on Interstate 10, 20 miles out of Austin. Seven in the morning, and the fog was *dense*. We hit a wheel that came off of a truck from an accident in the Eastbound lane a few seconds earlier.

I managed to pull waaay off the roadway, knowing that we’d surely get hit by someone with fog vision coming in hot behind us.
    Scary stuff.
    Ice fog even more so, or it is for me. One night while west bound on I30 between Little Rock and Texarkana along that area where the pulp wood mills were. cold about 20degrees but clear roads a truck about 1/2 to 3/4 mile in front of me pulling a flatbed trailer. Minimum DOT required lights I was pulling a stacked up 2+2+2 RGN Lights all the across the tail plus matching number of lights on the stinger stacked on the rear of the trailer a Rotating beacon on the stinger for when loaded and permitted we were driving along about 65 maybe 70 when suddenly I can't see his lights I mean almost instantly they were not visible, I hear a guy on the CB yelling fog back out of it, almost just as fast I couldn't see much further than my hood Off the peddle turned on the beacon lights on the top of the sleeper and the back of the stinger , then down through the gears. I was down to about 30 MPH and less than 60 feet from the back of his rig before I even caught a glimpse of the glow from his lights, he was still running maybe 10 MPH. rotating beacons will pierce fog better than static lights or strobes. The guy in front asks driver are you anywhere near that eerie yellow corona behind me? when I first saw in my mirrors, I thought the aliens were cashing me. it just kept creeping closer and closer.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Black ice causes pileup - GIF-running-man.png

In reference to the original video, WHY is it that when people are running for their lives,
    they never take the shortest path to safety. Instead they try to outrun the danger,
    instead of just stepping aside and letting it go by!! Why not just step to the side of the road?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Running man.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	44777

In reference to the original video, WHY is it that when people are running for their lives,
    they never take the shortest path to safety. Instead they try to outrun the danger,
    instead of just stepping aside and letting it go by!! Why not just step to the side of the road?
    Because people's minds shut down in a panic situation, their only instinct is to flee there is nothing left to tell them to seek the bast pathway to safety.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information