Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Small angle/sine plate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools

Small angle/sine plate

I needed a small adjustable angle plate to fit on my lathe crosslide and vertical slide for a project that requires accurate angles. This is only 4 inches square and was made from the last pieces of steel plate from my scrap box, hence the extra filled holes which I can live with. There is some pitting in the working faces but they have been scraped flat to a surface plate.
    Although I have a Moore & Wright vernier protractor which gives 5 mins of angle, just out of curiosity I thought I would provide a sine function to the plates by virtue of a dowel exactly 3.25 inches from the pivot point and of the same diameter which fortunately has turned out to be accurate from my checks with the protractor and a 30 deg angle gauge. This could be a way to make a sine table for those without access to a surface grinder.
    As it is a small plate I opted for M5 clamp screws instead of my usual M6 and made some dedicated clamps. It pivots on hollow hardened pins and being a small surface I could not afford the support plates to be above the surface, so curved arms made from brass sufficed giving 0 to 45 deg. There is not enough room for a fence to be added so 2 location pins can be used to support a parallel when needed. This plate can also be used on the lathe faceplate for indexed milling using my live toolpost spindle, its not pretty but it will do the work I need it for.
    In this size it is more suited to a model engineer but could be scaled up if one has the material available.

Small angle/sine plate-p1010026.jpgSmall angle/sine plate-p1010027.jpgSmall angle/sine plate-post-plate.jpgSmall angle/sine plate-p1010033.jpgSmall angle/sine plate-p1010035.jpg
    I even found an empty router bit box to keep it all in.
    Small angle/sine plate-p1010036.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

G.Paul (Mar 28, 2018), Home-PC (Sep 4, 2020), Jon (Mar 28, 2018), Karl_H (Sep 1, 2020), LMMasterMariner (Mar 28, 2018), marksbug (Aug 1, 2018), Paul Jones (Mar 28, 2018), PJs (Mar 28, 2018), rossbotics (Mar 28, 2018), Seedtick (Mar 28, 2018), semaur (Sep 2, 2020), tonyfoale (Mar 29, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Aug 2, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Alan,

Great job again. Sad to hear that has cleaned out your scrap box. I haven't reached that point yet but I am only too aware that I have no easy (read cheap) way of replenishing it any more. I still have a fair bit in the Aluminium box but the steel box is pretty low.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Mar 29, 2018), Paul Jones (Mar 29, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Thanks Tony,
    Yes its a shame I did not keep more scrap metal when it was there for the taking, I got so used to picking it when I needed it and the factory closed suddenly, so end of. There used to be four factory's locally but they have all closed. What I did have in stock has lasted me for 13 years so not too bad.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Alan,
    I have been self employed since 1973 so I haven't have much opportunity to accumulate scrap, except for the 3 years 2008-2010 when I had a real job in the US. It was like Xmas everyday when I passed the scrap bin, not just lumps of metal but bearings, nuts and bolts, gearboxes, old tooling and so on. Like you I didn't take full advantage of it. When I returned to Spain I put all that I had in a container to be sent back, along with a Bridgeport, lathe etc. The US is such a great place to get nice machine tools for little money. I like living in Spain but it is far from the best place to pursue my interests.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 29, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks olderdan! We've added your Sine Plate to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: olderdan's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Thanks for the post! Your approach to spacing the pivots accurately has inspired me to use the same approach when I can find the time to do a similar sine plate. That is the bored ports for the pivots should be very easy to accomplish with good precision even in a modest shop. This design should be amendable to even a relatively narrow sin bar.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Apr 11, 2018)

Thanks
    I had planned on making one, then I found a niceley priced nicely built 12"x10"(I think thats the size) aluminum sineplate on flebay. it would be nice to have a compound plate......so...your plans may just push me over the edge. keep up the great work guys!!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Aug 2, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Alan,
    I have been self employed since 1973 so I haven't have much opportunity to accumulate scrap, except for the 3 years 2008-2010 when I had a real job in the US. It was like Xmas everyday when I passed the scrap bin, not just lumps of metal but bearings, nuts and bolts, gearboxes, old tooling and so on. Like you I didn't take full advantage of it. When I returned to Spain I put all that I had in a container to be sent back, along with a Bridgeport, lathe etc. The US is such a great place to get nice machine tools for little money. I like living in Spain but it is far from the best place to pursue my interests.
    I'm sure this won't come as a revelation to you, but if there are material vendors and shops within decent radius, I recommend paying a visit. I've always worked in shops, at least half let me haul off steel at scrap rate or less. It's been .30¢ a pound long as I can remember. Others didn't restrict me at all, as long as it was drop [fall-off].
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    we have 1 steel place left hear around me....they eff you in scrap as well as everything else. we do however have a recycle facility that usualy sells for3x the recycle pay price witch is still a good deal....if you can find what you want. so that's another avenue to search for goodies.

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    could you elaborate on: "I thought I would provide a sine function to the plates by virtue of a dowel exactly 3.25 inches from the pivot point and of the same diameter which fortunately has turned out to be accurate from my checks with the protractor and a 30 deg angle gauge. "

Exactly how does the dowel work? sorry I am new to machining.

Ralph

Thread Information