Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Boiler

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Problem with small boilers is surface to volume ration is bad. A lot of radiating surface with a small volume.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member editor@glue-it.com's Avatar
    Thanks

editor@glue-it.com's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Problem with small boilers is surface to volume ration is bad. A lot of radiating surface with a small volume.
    Yes, and I've made this worse by making the length versus diameter quite large - the opposite of a sphere...

However, when I "turn the wick up" on the burner it gets hot very rapidly. So, a lot more work to get the balance of this design right.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Making some big assumptions I've made a very simple mathematical model of the boiler
    Small Boiler-boiler-vs-model.jpg

Then using the cooling curve data I've estimated the heat loss to be 35W at the operating pressure of 40psi (140°C).

This then allowed me to look at estimating the heat input from the first design of the methylated spirit burner. It is a bit variable, but probably expected as it uses a chicken feeder and there is some air flow.

Small Boiler-boiler-heat-input.jpg

The heat input for this first design is around 54W. This is why I was seeing a very marginal capability for this boiler.

Thanks

I've now run a few experiments to understand the optimum distance between the spirit burner and the boiler. Normal practice is that the hottest point is at the tip of the inner blue flame, however, there is a depth to the boiler surfaces as shown by this diagram.

Small Boiler-boiler2burner-08.jpg

So, using the simple assumptions, a new firebox and some more measurements on the instrumented boiler I get the following curve:

Small Boiler-boiler2burner-09.jpg

This plot shows that the peak in heat output is when the burner is around 85mm from the base of the boiler. Also, it shows that this firebox and burner is producing nearly double the amount of heat that the original design generated.

I checked this calculation by looking at the boiler temperature versus time data. The original firebox and burner took just under 8 minutes to take the water from 60°C to 100°C. The new firebox and burner took just over 2 mins 30s for this same temperature change. You have to consider heat losses and heat input, but this makes sense.

Thanks

I wrapped the boiler and electrically heated it so I could estimate the heat loss. This way I could then compare unclad to maximum cladding.

Small Boiler-max-insulation-07.jpg

At the designed operating point of 40psi and 140°C bulk water temperature the heat loss unclad is ~35W and with maximum cladding it is around 12W.

Small Boiler-max-insulation-04.jpg
    The cladding is a lightweight fleece, then a aluminium coated bubblewrap.

This has made me realise that I could make a low voltage miniature immersion heater - I will post something on this.

Thanks

I think I now have most of the parameters for an optimised design of the firebox for the small vertical boiler. At last I can finish it and get back to the traction engine. So, I ordered a bar of 2" mild steel hex. However, when it turned up I just couldn't turn it into swarf....

Small Boiler-firebox-06.jpg

So I thought I could make the firebox from sheet metal, trouble is my sheet metal skills are not that great.

Small Boiler-firebox-07.jpg

However, I'm quite happy with this, now to add a door for the meths burner and some louvres for air.

Thanks

I've been struggling to get heat into the boiler. So I instrumented it to understand the heat losses and to optimise the burner location.

Then I made two types of steam raising blowers.
    Small Boiler-raising-blower-09.jpg
    Left: compressed air jet Right: electric suction fan

What is interesting is that both give a similar performance. Below is my calculated heat input to the boiler versus time for the two blowers and you can see them switched on, off, on and then finally off.

Small Boiler-heat-output-vs-time-both-blowers.jpg
    The heat input to the boiler using the simple methylated spirit burner increases from ~50W to ~350W with either blower on.

Thanks

A video describing the blowers and the data

9. The Following User Says Thank You to editor@glue-it.com For This Useful Post:

rlm98253 (May 12, 2021)

Thanks

Finally I'm back to the 1/20th scale Burrell traction engine. My new problem to solve and design is the cylinder block.

I have an idea for creating a plate that is silver soldered to the boiler and forms the joint. The cylinder is then mounted one side and the boiler the other.

Small Boiler-burrell-cylinder-block-04.jpg

Me offering up the Stuart 10V that is 1.5x too big at 3/4" bore and stroke. The Burrell will be 12mm bore and stroke.

Small Boiler-burrell-cylinder-block-03.jpg

This bracket would be easiest made from brass, however, it's best to avoid using brass due to dezincification.

Thanks

Back onto the traction engine and whilst waiting for material for the cylinder block I roughed out a steering wheel.

Small Boiler-steering-wheel-03.jpg

This is 22mm in diameter (~7/8")

Thread Information