Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Speedy lathe chuck key

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Many of the new "safety" devices actually create additional hazard because they make it hard to operate the machine. As a case in point, my son has just bought his first lathe. It comes with a weird plastic cover thingy over the tool post area. This is the first time that I have come across such a stupid device. It is made difficult to fold it out of the way to change tools, you have to slide it sideways first. Guaranteed to raise tempers and frustration and hence increase danger.
    I guess that it was thought up by some pratt in a H&S office who had never used a lathe. I am not sure what this thing is supposed to protect you from, tool posts are hardly actively dangerous?????

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Hi,
    I think I've not given the right explanation for my post, since more than 25 years I've apprentice under me, and it's not possible with them to think they can have some mental discipline as explain mklotz, my job is to make work as secure is possible, then the use of single procedures is a part of the reasons I've ask this question about security.
    For my own worker opinion, it's different in many ways as what I have to explain to my apprentices but I haven't the right to give them instructions which are not under safety regulation.
    I hope it's not too bad explained, in another language than my mother tongue, it's not always easy to explain those concept. ;-)

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
    Hi,
    I think I've not given the right explanation for my post,...............

I hope it's not too bad explained, in another language than my mother tongue, it's not always easy to explain those concept. ;-)
    Okapi,

I think that your explanation was fine.
    We understand that in a multi-person industrial workplace you have to comply with legislation.

Mklotz, olderdan and I were just offering the opinion that safety comes from mental attitude more so than mechanical devices. I made the additional observation that many such devices actually increase the risk of injury because they cause operator difficulty.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Dec 7, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    If you're going to insist on devices to relieve the operator of the onus of thinking, at least do it right. Instead of an annoying spring-loaded key, provide a receptacle with an integral switch wired in series with the power to the machine. In order to run the lathe, the operator must remove the key from the chuck and place it into this receptacle to close the switch. Place the receptacle where you would like the operator to place the key, e.g., at the tailstock end of the swarf pan.

This way the operator is forced to develop the muscle memory of removing the key every time he wants to run the lathe. It's not perfect but it has a better chance of protecting him if he ever works in a shop where all these nanny devices are absent.

Of course, if he's half-way clever, he'll turn a facsimile of the chuck key, shove it in the receptacle, and work like machinists have for ages.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    OR simply do away with the key altogether go with mounted power key and tight jaw sensors or a powered chuck that way the lathe could not be switches on at all if the chuck jaws were not closed. In Lew of that do away with the chuck completely by installing a collet chuck the closer handle is at the back end of the spindle which just moves one way or the other to open or close the collets
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 7, 2017 at 09:29 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    @ mklotz,
    With the workers I've seen in near 40 years, they can make in seconds a piece of everything they put in the switch receptacle and stay with the chuck key where they want
    Making security process is really a bad job which give you stomach disease and grey hairs, you must have more perversion that people using the tools, and the simpliest is the solution the better it is.
    The protection for the chuck quote by tony is a good example of something never used by the person who make it obligatory, in reality you use it only when turning materials which made bad chips like cast iron or brass but for his original purpose it's really a bad idea…

Thanks
    A radio station I used to listen to had a random quote they would interject occasionally "We used to be idiot prof but then they made a better idiot".
    Eric

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by suther51 View Post
    A radio station I used to listen to had a random quote they would interject occasionally "We used to be idiot prof but then they made a better idiot".
    Eric
    Mmm seems I've started a discussion on safety rather thsn a useful alternative type of chuck key.

I agree with all commdnts. No legislation, regulation or shop rule will protect someone from carelessness, stupidity or folly. We are all ultimately responsible for our own personal safety. Be thoughtful, sensible and careful.

Bony

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bony For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 22, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bony View Post
    Mmm seems I've started a discussion on safety rather thsn a useful alternative type of chuck key.

I agree with all commdnts. No legislation, regulation or shop rule will protect someone from carelessness, stupidity or folly. We are all ultimately responsible for our own personal safety. Be thoughtful, sensible and careful.

Bony
    I was thinking the same thing about thread drift.
    What I did was to make a new chuck key from a piece of 3/4" SS I milled the right size square on the end.
    I drilled a 3/8" hole for the T handle on the other end but made one about 4" longer. I bent it to 90 degree at the 4" mark it it is secured in the hole with a set screw.
    It makes opening and closing a breeze and no need for a second key.

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I took a somewhat different approach. When the chuck is mounted I didn't want to have to use one tool to speed the jaw movement, then put it down and pick up the supplied chuck wrench to tighten the jaws.

I mounted a 1" diameter aluminum cylinder to one arm of the chuck wrench. It's held in place by a setscrew bearing on a flat filed on the wrench arm. The top of the cylinder has a hemisphere turned on it.
    I have a similar key to yours with the exception that the upright is welded on not held with a screw. Your larger diameter, ball ended version would be more comfortable.

Thread Information