Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule

There is a technique called “spiling”, which is a way of scribing a template to fit an awkward shape, mainly a boat-builder’s technique, but useful for fitting window boards, flooring, etc. The stick is usually a bit of lath, with some notches cut in it, eg
    Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule-aa7cb77b-455b-479a-9382-d26ff56525f8.jpeg

Suppose, for example, I wanted to cut a board which would fit around this old bit of spade (which is actually a forged plate by an established international artist Blacksmith, price on application.)
    Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule-6f60ec5b-9fa4-476b-8374-97a8e3a6090d.jpeg
    I would cut a piece of paper or ply roughly to fit, place the point of the spiling stick around the perimeter, draw round the stick and do this as many times as necessary to record the data. Then I would lay the paper on the board, repeat the process of laying the stick on its silhouettes, but just mark the points. Then I would join up the dots and cut the board; (then there would be a lot of fiddle-faddle because the cuts weren’t quite right)

Now, if there are any boat-builders, please tell me if they have a permanent spiling stick, because I have always thrown it away when finished.
    But I thought I would make a nice one today.
    Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule-1795888b-2c0f-4a80-9162-b55f6a9f769e.jpeg
    (My daughter thinks the rough one is nicer)

I have been intrigued by a tool which was probably used for the same purpose, but was at the same time a rule and effectively a depth gauge, in medieval times.
    The next two pictures are taken from an article in “The Mortice and Tenon”, no 3, the Carpenters’ Fellowship journal. The author, Henry Russell, who describes an exhibit in the Mary Rose exhibition. It is labelled “joggle stick”.
    Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule-de72409a-82eb-45b5-a6d7-d65e6518ecde.jpegSpiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule-6947f17f-c66c-4c91-92b8-1c846a94017a.jpeg
    The second picture is a reproduction of Medieval German carpenters hewing (the one on the left is using a mortising axe), but the one in the foreground evidently carries one in his belt.
    Now it took my fancy to make a joggle stick.
    Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule-56e72c47-2b4a-458f-8b0a-4ce2a443d128.jpeg
    The notches are at 3/4” intervals.
    “ Digit” is a noun and “digital” an adjective, so, since a digit is 3/4”, I am calling it a DIGITAL RULE!

Initially, I set it out on a graph in an old exercise book which belonged to my father. This is blocked at 5/8”, each block divided into 10 (1/16”). I have never come across this anywhere else.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Dec 21, 2021), Jon (Dec 22, 2021), nova_robotics (Dec 26, 2021), Sleykin (Dec 26, 2021)

Thanks
    Vinyl layers use a similar technique, although ones I seen and used myself, are just a small rectangular block, running a line off the opposite to the edge.
    Then use the same block to transpose back onto the vinyl...

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isambard For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Dec 22, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Spiling Stick to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    It's interesting to me how all of these very specific tools and techniques develop for different trades going back hundreds of years. I had never heard of a spiling or joggle stick before now. I have also used the version that Isambard mentions (also while cutting vinyl flooring), though that will only resolve contours larger than the length of the block. Very useful in that application following along baseboards and such.

I guess the "modern" and higher resolution version of the spiling stick is embodied in contour gauges like this:

Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule-countour.jpg

Essentially a sort of analog computer, so not quite into the digital age like yours Phillip. Cool info, and a very interesting way to solve a problem.
    Last edited by clavius; Dec 22, 2021 at 07:24 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clavius For This Useful Post:

carloski (Dec 26, 2021), Philip Davies (Dec 22, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Phillip. It’s good when very old technology does the job. I can’t think of a modern equivalent that will do the same thing. I’ve heard of (and used) a ‘ticking’ stick before. Very similar but less elaborate in the shape of it. I wonder if they’re the same thing by different names or subtly different? Any ideas?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to andrew mcgregor For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Dec 22, 2021)

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew mcgregor View Post
    Thanks Phillip. It’s good when very old technology does the job. I can’t think of a modern equivalent that will do the same thing. I’ve heard of (and used) a ‘ticking’ stick before. Very similar but less elaborate in the shape of it. I wonder if they’re the same thing by different names or subtly different? Any ideas?
    Thanks, Andrew. I had forgotten that it was also called a ticking stick. Whatever the name, the scribing technique is the same, but personally I think that the notches were used for measurement, which is why they were kept in a. sheath. My “digital rule”, being tapered, could be used, with dividers, to measure intervals of 1/32” across the width. But it’s entirely conjectural.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    What I gather [pix of textbook not legible] and a particular contour/ notch pattern not a requirement; it seems to me a pointy version of a French Curve template. With enough such templates, allows any [nearly] set of points to form a curve........often with frustrating amount of trial and error.
    The notches are unique in contour, so positioning is more accurate and distinct than a straight taper. Follows that picking up angular orientation better than a scale could, with need to record many deviations from an abstract datum. Main thing, the point represents actual contour, compared to "kerf" created by tracing a pencil tip.

Think that's what I thought while writing. Only one thing is sure; never seen or heard the like of, in any of it's names! So I'm googling it; one serious rabbit hole.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Dec 23, 2021 at 07:20 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Dec 23, 2021)

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    What I gather [pix of textbook not legible] and a particular contour/ notch pattern not a requirement; it seems to me a pointy version of a French Curve template. With enough such templates, allows any [nearly] set of points to form a curve........often with frustrating amount of trial and error.
    The notches are unique in contour, so positioning is more accurate and distinct than a straight taper. Follows that picking up angular orientation better than a scale could, with need to record many deviations from an abstract datum. Main thing, the point represents actual contour, compared to "kerf" created by tracing a pencil tip.

Think that's what I thought while writing. Only one thing is sure; never seen or heard the like of, in any of it's names! So I'm googling it; one serious rabbit hole.
    Thanks, I am glad you were intrigued. If you wish, I’ll have another attempt at reproducing the text.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Yes Phillip, the 2nd greatest aspect here (HMT.net); that exposure to completely foreign, or forgotten, or plain ol' just not passed down techniques. Perfect example; while web has plenty about spiling, likely we'd never cross it, save a bout of grievous misspelling.

And to answer what is *1, that's easy. Facets! The astounding group of individuals, sharing interests without requirement of like-mindedness.

Occurs what makes this favored by boatwrights. We normal machinists and engineers might work in 3 planes, but those are relatively simple, even with compound angles and such. Boats have very little even just perpendicular, parallel or flat!
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Dec 23, 2021 at 11:34 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Dec 25, 2021), Philip Davies (Dec 24, 2021)

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule-image.jpg
    Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule-image.jpg
    Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule-55f20093-2c8b-4096-b7f9-7e70df54f1ce.jpeg
    Hope these are legible
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule-c93ce10c-787e-499c-bcda-6a5018258ac6.jpeg   Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule-image.jpg  
    Last edited by Philip Davies; Dec 24, 2021 at 04:37 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Inner (Dec 27, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Dec 24, 2021)

Thread Information