Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
    Vinyl layers use a similar technique, although ones I seen and used myself, are just a small rectangular block, running a line off the opposite to the edge.
    Then use the same block to transpose back onto the vinyl...
    Yes, here’s the little block I used to keep in my tool bag. I also used it to space nails or screws into corners

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I have used them lots of times, but always called them tick sticks as mentioned above. Very handy. It is interesting how names of things change from region to region. The comments are interesting on this video.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Dec 27, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Dec 26, 2021)

Thanks
    I was selling the metal ones, as shown, in the early 1970's, made by General. Now they have plastic ones, and some people think they are a new invention.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to carloski For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Dec 27, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Peter Sanders's Tools
    I could not see the point in using such a spiling stick in your example. Why not just use a pencil to draw around the object's profile?
    I assumed it could be used on larger (longer) items, i.e. boat building, where tracing a profile to a "template" is beneficial. This prompted me to look on Wikipedia spiling stick which shows the intended use, though with a different "stick".
    I further assumed that the notches are more for creating a line or mark at specific distances from the edge being profiled. Hence the taper of the stick.
    So, instead of using the point as an indicator of sorts, the "back" (unnotched) edge is moved across the board being profiled and the pencil or other marker placed in a suitable notch, is moved along/across the template. This generates an appropriate "cut" line for the template or the new board that fits against the previously "profiled" board. Obviously in boat building this is a useful tool, for smaller items, perhaps not so useful.
    Best wishes...

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Sanders View Post
    I could not see the point in using such a spiling stick in your example. Why not just use a pencil to draw around the object's profile?
    I assumed it could be used on larger (longer) items, i.e. boat building, where tracing a profile to a "template" is beneficial. This prompted me to look on Wikipedia spiling stick which shows the intended use, though with a different "stick".
    I further assumed that the notches are more for creating a line or mark at specific distances from the edge being profiled. Hence the taper of the stick.
    So, instead of using the point as an indicator of sorts, the "back" (unnotched) edge is moved across the board being profiled and the pencil or other marker placed in a suitable notch, is moved along/across the template. This generates an appropriate "cut" line for the template or the new board that fits against the previously "profiled" board. Obviously in boat building this is a useful tool, for smaller items, perhaps not so useful.
    Best wishes...
    Yes, I take your point, Peter, ha ha. I could not think of anything else to use as an example. It was merely to show the technique. The last time I did this was to fit an oak window board into an irregular masonry opening.
    Spiling sticks, joggle sticks and a “digital” rule-05e708b8-ade9-4c16-90f5-79fb92d9d202.jpeg
    Were you to fit a board to fit the bottom of this ( slightly tapering) chest I made, you might find the method helpful. While I might scribe using compasses, it’s never occurred to me before to move the spiling stick and pencil simultaneously

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Peter, the video is not the best example of the process either. Imagine a much more complex shape. For example fitting a counter top into the galley of a boat. Or fitting a V-berth into the bow of a boat. You want it to fit snug against the side to things do not slip between it and the side of the boat. There are no straight lines. There is nothing good to use for reference points. You just have to "map out" the size and shape by creating your own reference points.

The scribing technique you describe certainly works in a lot of situations, but that is dependent on the angle of the stick, or scribe or compass, etc remaining constant to in relation to the surface being copied.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Dec 27, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Dec 27, 2021)

Thread Information