Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Spreader bar extention

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Spreader bar extention

After picking up a 68 ft long beam with my spreader bar it became all to apparent my 14ft spreader bar was not going to cut it
    So a 26 ft length of 4" pipe 1/2" wall thickness was chained to the bottom of the spreader bar and I welded chain stops on each end to prevent the chains from sliding in either direction we chained from the ends of the extension to the end of the spreader bar so it could not slide
    Spreader bar extention-20191025_130522wer.jpg
    Now it works just fine
    only needed it a couple of times
    Spreader bar extention-20191025_134117wer.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Oct 28, 2019 at 05:26 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 29, 2019), Jon (Oct 31, 2019), KustomsbyKent (Oct 29, 2019), mwmkravchenko (Oct 29, 2019), Seedtick (Oct 28, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Spreader Bar Extension to our Jacks and Lifts category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    After seeing the photo the other day of your beam clamps, and the very curved beam, I was thinking you were making pretzels out of them. Looks like this is fixed.
    68ft is scary. My shop used 4, 30 foot 12x19 beams back in 1984. I used a home built crane from 2, 4x4 douglas fir 16' sticks of wood, made into an "A" frame. I used a chain hoist to do the lifting, and another cable hoist to a tree to control the A frame location to place the beams. I had an oak tree luckily in the right place for that cable hoist to pull against.
    Looks like your making progress, assume this is the hardest part of the project.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    After seeing the photo the other day of your beam clamps, and the very curved beam, I was thinking you were making pretzels out of them. Looks like this is fixed.
    68ft is scary. My shop used 4, 30 foot 12x19 beams back in 1984. I used a home built crane from 2, 4x4 douglas fir 16' sticks of wood, made into an "A" frame. I used a chain hoist to do the lifting, and another cable hoist to a tree to control the A frame location to place the beams. I had an oak tree luckily in the right place for that cable hoist to pull against.
    Looks like your making progress, assume this is the hardest part of the project.
    yeah pretty much the most difficult part is in getting the perimeter top plate and the trusses secured in place But putting the purlins up on top is not going to be a picnic unless I have another guy who is as willing and capable of working on top of the trusses as I am.

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Looking good Frank!
    Keep posting pictures, curious to see a farther away picture so we can see the full scope of the shop plan.
    Hopefully you can find a guy to help you with the purlin installation and work safe!
    Kent

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I have finished repairing the damaged truss. Now just waiting for a day with low wind.
    The top section of the truss had become damaged when the wind caught it while I was moving it out of my way this was why we could not install it last weekend.
    To repair it I straightened the top tubes as best as reasonably possible in lieu of cutting them out and replacing them I decided to graft 1 10ft sections of 3 x 3 x1/4" angle to the top across the peak.
    Spreader bar extention-20191102_145740wer.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information