Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Steel rolls roll off truck bed - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    When I see spools on a truck, they are over the back axles. About 3 chains through the loop, blocked front and back and another couple over the top.
    And we've seen other broken flat beds here at HMT.net, those loads were between rears and the pin too. I can't see a reliable loader at a plant doing this; even if the trucker is clueless. Be interesting to know if this is owner/ operator or a company tractor.

Trailers vs heavy GVW flatbed, hmmmmm.
    I probably won't haul coil, more likely bar stock and structurals and occasional machinery; this has talked me out of heavy trailers. Mine still camera shy [ugly, not presentable] but identical otherwise to this.
    Steel rolls roll off truck bed - GIF-f8000.jpg
    Speaking of which, how & where do I find replacement fuel tank caps. They are male 4-7/16" OD thread, what appear 8 TPI, about 5/8" of full thread. Originals were bronze, probably why they were stolen. Once I buy [or make aluminum ones] I'll fabricate a pad locking arrangement.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 11, 2019 at 03:49 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    That coil's position may be due to what's referred to as bridge weight. The front load axles and the rear axles should be carrying equal weight (for an equal number of wheels) so that the wheel loading at each end of the "bridge" is within legal limits for that span. Too much weight concentrated on too few wheels can damage the roadway and the trucker's next mortgage payment when the DOT discovers it. Looking at the situation I'd guess that there was a shock from the railroad tracks that momentarily overstressed the trailer because it could have been going too fast for that bump.

2000 Tool Plans
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 10, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jul 10, 2019)

Thanks
    I think there is a factor not thought of. The truck just came over a railroad track. Most railroad tracks are ruff and raised up some compared to the approaching road and the road leaving the track. The truck went over the track too fast and when the final axle was on the track all the weight was transferred to that span between the real tandem and the axle at the far back causing all that weight to broke its back. Another thing is it was an aluminium trailer, I would like to know just what king of experience that person had. A very good case of operator error.
    Nelson

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    That coil's position may be due to what's referred to as bridge weight. The front load axles and the rear axles should be carrying equal weight (for an equal number of wheels) so that the wheel loading at each end of the "bridge" is within legal limits for that span. Too much weight concentrated on too few wheels can damage the roadway and the trucker's next mortgage payment when the DOT discovers it. Looking at the situation I'd guess that there was a shock from the railroad tracks that momentarily overstressed the trailer because it could have been going too fast for that bump.
    Yep only in America can we spend 10 years to study how to build the road 20 years to build it then then next 5 generations repairing it.
    As far as the bridge law goes with a spread axle trailer he could legally gross 40K on the 2 trailer axles 34K on the drives and 12 on the steer but at the same time still be limited to a gross weight of 80k having the spread means he has a 6 k cushion at 80K that he doesn't have to be so precise in locating the load many call it the fudge factor. One problem with spread axle trailer is the scuff the tires real bad in tight turns another is they inherently have lighter frames.
    From the distance traveled after the tracks it appears that the load leveling valve for the air ride susp. is mounted on the rear axle we don't have a great view of the lead on ramp to the tracks so the tracks could be quite elevated from the preceding road way. If this were the case the tractor already being past could be on a downhill swing, while the forward trailer would be going up causing the rear air bags to be over extended so the leveling valve would compensate by releasing air. Some trailers are equipped with rapid suspension fill and release this could be one such trailer causing the front trailer axle to bottom out while the rear axle thought it were still over extended. Then the sudden impact of bump from the second set of tracks with the weight too far forward for the type of trailer the result was a delay in delivery.
    Guys in the northeast tend to load close to max weight on their drive axles as a force of habit due to winter driving conditions while guys in southern states and western states Not the North West, have a tendency to put more weight on their trailers. While Crusty pointed out keeping the weight closer to center is better for the roads. Like I said the spread axle trailers foul up the optimal distributional plan
    This was just an observation form someone who wasn't there.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 10, 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Captioned as yesterday in Hamilton, Ontario.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...e_fullsize.jpg

Good reason to slow down for RR crossings.
    Jim

Thanks
    I see the driver standing behind the trailer, but I cannot tell what she is pointing at.
    Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfols View Post
    I see the driver standing behind the trailer, but I cannot tell what she is pointing at.
    Just curious, how you know she is the driver?

Thanks
    not with them shoes on

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information