Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Stick welding around the object?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools

Stick welding around the object?

I have noticed, that sometimes when one starts to practise welding with stick.

They keep their hand on the position, that when rod gets shorter. Hand that holds the rod comes on the way, and prevents pointing rod in the right angle.

This short video shows the process of welding around the object.

Whole trick is to tilt / twist your hand while rod gets shorter, and that way keep rod pointed right.

Same method works with most welds. Usually i keep rod holder sideways when starting fillet weld. During welding, i twist my frist, so that at the end of the rod, end of the rod holder is pointing up.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Little Rabbit (Jun 6, 2021), NortonDommi (Jun 5, 2021), ranald (Jun 3, 2021), RetiredFAE (Jun 3, 2021)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    pretty to watch

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Jun 4, 2021)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Nice welding.
    I really like your air supplied helmet. I get so frustrated by my perspiration condensing on the welding lens inside. Also I've not see this type locally that has the safety shield for grinding as part of the same helmet. I have one that you can switch the darkness to use for grinding, but it does not have the field of view like yours.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Jun 4, 2021)

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    very nice work

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TrickieDickie For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Jun 4, 2021)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Nice welding.
    I really like your air supplied helmet. I get so frustrated by my perspiration condensing on the welding lens inside. Also I've not see this type locally that has the safety shield for grinding as part of the same helmet. I have one that you can switch the darkness to use for grinding, but it does not have the field of view like yours.
    Thanks

Yep. That's a great helmet. Only minus on it, is that you "can't" tilt your head sideways. That's required sometimes, to see tight spots.

In that case you need to support it with your shoulder or hand, otherwise it spins in your head.

Here using air supplied helmets with particle filter are required in "continous welding job ". That's one that employer has to offer.
    Welding causes Copd, mostly reason is ozone, but also fine dust.

That's why tig welders should use respirators too, even that there is no visual "smoke".

For heavy grinding i have another mask with actual helmet that really protects if grinding wheel "explodes".

When i started in my workplace, 21 years ago. I replaced a worker who died when grinding wheel "explodes".
    He was using 6000rpm wheel in 12000rpm grinder in full speed. Reason to this was, that he wanted to get job done before the shift ends.

Choosed to take a short cut. That shouldn't happen.

"The prevalence of COPD was significantly higher in welders than in office workers (15.2% vs. 4.3%, P = 0,029). COPD in both examined groups was close related to age over 45 years, while in welders significant association was registered for duration of workplace exposure longer than 20 years..."

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

metric_taper (Jun 4, 2021), NortonDommi (Jun 5, 2021), ranald (Jun 4, 2021)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuomas View Post
    Thanks

Yep. That's a great helmet. Only minus on it, is that you "can't" tilt your head sideways. That's required sometimes, to see tight spots.

In that case you need to support it with your shoulder or hand, otherwise it spins in your head.

Here using air supplied helmets with particle filter are required in "continous welding job ". That's one that employer has to offer.
    Welding causes Copd, mostly reason is ozone, but also fine dust.

That's why tig welders should use respirators too, even that there is no visual "smoke".

For heavy grinding i have another mask with actual helmet that really protects if grinding wheel "explodes".

When i started in my workplace, 21 years ago. I replaced a worker who died when grinding wheel "explodes".
    He was using 6000rpm wheel in 12000rpm grinder in full speed. Reason to this was, that he wanted to get job done before the shift ends.

Choosed to take a short cut. That shouldn't happen.

"The prevalence of COPD was significantly higher in welders than in office workers (15.2% vs. 4.3%, P = 0,029). COPD in both examined groups was close related to age over 45 years, while in welders significant association was registered for duration of workplace exposure longer than 20 years..."
    short cuts are out but yet I see some repeatedly do it. A friend simply closes his eyes for short/ spot type welds and grinding. eye lids did not protect him when a cutting disc exploded probably, i think, from moisture from his tool box storage. I've had a couple of the 1mm ones fly apart.

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    short cuts are out but yet I see some repeatedly do it. A friend simply closes his eyes for short/ spot type welds and grinding. eye lids did not protect him when a cutting disc exploded probably, i think, from moisture from his tool box storage. I've had a couple of the 1mm ones fly apart.
    Moisture ruins grinding wheels sometimes really fast.
    Its somewhat usual that one doesn't know, that angle grinder wheels have expiration date.

Its stamped to that steel ring on the center of the wheel.

That's why i store my wheels sideways.
    I take from the right, and but new ones to the left.

That way oldest ones are used first, before " best before " expires.

Stick welding around the object?-img_20210605_082418.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stick welding around the object?-dewalt-cut-off-wheel.jpg  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Jun 5, 2021)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Always amazes me how blase many people are about safety. Many never read safety data just like they refuse to read operators manuals.
    That moisture and grinding disks business really freaks me out as I have seen people leaving disks out in the rain and a week or two later going to use them or going to use disks that the center ring has rusted out of.
    If I see a disk left out it gets broken and binned. Safety guards removed is another pet hate as are people who drop grinders on a bench or the ground.

I too like the helmet.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    Always amazes me how blase many people are about safety. Many never read safety data just like they refuse to read operators manuals.
    That moisture and grinding disks business really freaks me out as I have seen people leaving disks out in the rain and a week or two later going to use them or going to use disks that the center ring has rusted out of.
    If I see a disk left out it gets broken and binned. Safety guards removed is another pet hate as are people who drop grinders on a bench or the ground.

I too like the helmet.
    Worked with a young man in an industrial laundry who operated the dryers (mostly) and washers (once in a while) and kept "forgetting" his safety glasses. He was already blind in one eye because of a grinder mishap at a previous employer. One of my jobs as a maintenance tech was to ensure everyone wore their safety glasses in the wash alley. We had compressed air and gas, chemicals, and hydraulic and pneumatic equipment, plus the motors up to 10 HP spinning machine parts. I had keys to the safety equipment locker so provided him a set of new safety glasses daily for a week, one time and another. Even when he did have them, they were usually worn over the top of his head. Eventually got himself fired. I wear prescription glasses, and before I ever started working there, bought my own ANSI-Z87 safety glasses because I was interested in machining, and did my own automotive work, home repairs, etc. I also read a lot, and the idea of going blind terrifies me. He didn't sweat it. Yeesh!

Bill

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Good info. PPE is not for sissies. It is a necessity if you want to remain in one piece,

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thread Information