Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Storage Cubbords

Thanks

trevor_60_r's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by baja View Post
    I use a defunct refrigerator and newly defunct upright freezer for storing items that I don`t want getting dusty or moist (welding rod, welding hood, manuals, etc. My shop is by no means weathertight. I did have mixed feelings when the freezer died; it was a freebie several years ago when the company remodeled. It was there when I went to work for them in 2004, lol.
    Hi baja.

These fridges have had the gas removed and most of them have had the compressors taken out as well.
    I also have a standard fridge for my welding rods as well. The most common problem I have found when fridges die if the motor still runs is the gas leaks out and they cannot get cold any more.

Thanks for your comment.

Trevor

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

trevor_60_r's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NeiljohnUK View Post
    The old fridge/freezer in my garage has been doing similar service for years, though I'd hesitate with modern propane refrigerant types unless I knew it had been fully inert purged/stripped of coils and compressor.
    Hi NeiljohnUK

Like I said to (baja), The most common problem I have found when fridges die if the motor still runs is the gas leaks out and they cannot get cold any more.

Thanks for your comment.

Trevor

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    How do you even find scrap yards that let you buy stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by trevor_60_r View Post
    Hi odd one.

The only thing wrong with the fancy glass front is you can't have them to close to where you are welding and grinding because the sparks destroy the glass.

These I got some time ago from the scrapyard before they crushed them. They tend to destroy to much stuff that can be recycled into things like this.

I have 3 more of them stored but haven't got the room to set them up yet until i clean out some stuff.

Cheers Trevor.

Thanks

trevor_60_r's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    How do you even find scrap yards that let you buy stuff?
    Hi Wizard69

Where I live there are 3 in my town that sell steel off-cuts and 2 of them sell new steel as well. It depends where you are living I suppose, because in some of the bigger cities the yards wont let you in for health and safety reasons. I worked at one for about 6 years doing repairs & maintenance and making scrap bins.

Do you have scrap metal yards near you? Maybe get to know someone working at one that could keep a eye out for you and you could call in and see them every now and then. The ones here sell a lot of stuff to the public.

With regard to the fridges if you were looking for them maybe approach places that repair them and see if they would sell you one that was no good for the right price, especially if they have to get rid of them each cleanup.

Thanks for your Comment, and hope this helps.

(PS) I have even done a bit of dumpster diving.

Cheers Trevor

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by trevor_60_r; Dec 5, 2022 at 04:46 AM.

Thread Information