Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Storage shelf in my container

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Storage shelf in my container

It seems there is never enough shelf space for essential fluids and other things.
    I last year I removed a door from a trailer that folded down to make a shelf figuring the 12 inch by 9 ft long piece would come in handy I stored it The other day I finally got fed up with having containers of oils and other things sitting anywhere there happened to be a spot to put them and never being able to lay my hands on the one I needed at the time with out having to rummage through several others So I used to scrap pieces of flat stock to make a pair of shelf brackets which would be inserted in the load lock holding plates made into the container this was the results
    Storage shelf in my container-wp_20200321_16_30_53_probr.jpg

Storage shelf in my container-wp_20200321_16_30_53_prosh.jpg

Storage shelf in my container-wp_20200321_16_45_37_prosh.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 26, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Storage Shelf to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I got frustrated at not being able to find things and decided to turn over a new leaf for me and organize my tools and supplies more or less grouped by their primary usage. I found that it had an immediate positive impact on the time it took because I wasn't spending all that time looking for things. Extending that I've adopted the procedure that once I've used a thing I immediately put it back where it goes and this improved my workflow more, since it takes little time to put something back from where you just got it and it eliminates most of the time spent at the end of the session returning things and my work sessions are more productive and less aggravating because of it. I can imagine with a collection as extensive as yours that a significant amount of time could be spent looking for stuff.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I got frustrated at not being able to find things and decided to turn over a new leaf for me and organize my tools and supplies more or less grouped by their primary usage. I found that it had an immediate positive impact on the time it took because I wasn't spending all that time looking for things. Extending that I've adopted the procedure that once I've used a thing I immediately put it back where it goes and this improved my workflow more, since it takes little time to put something back from where you just got it and it eliminates most of the time spent at the end of the session returning things and my work sessions are more productive and less aggravating because of it. I can imagine with a collection as extensive as yours that a significant amount of time could be spent looking for stuff.
    Not only looking for stuff but deciding it is faster and cheaper to make a 30 mile round trip to town than to hunt for something. I hardly ever just buy 1 of anything when it comes to oils sprays and such so when I get done I have 1 left over for the next time only the next time the same scenario happens until eventually I have a plethora of things in multiples many of which only partially used.
    So yes a shelf here or a rack there to eventually give everything a place and every place its own thing always makes life more pleasant.
    For one of my soon to be upcoming endeavors will be to rearrange the furniture IE move the lathes all to one place the mills to another the drill presses to yet another and have a bench grinder near each of them

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    In getting ready for our move I'm donating almost all the small supplies to a maker space. When we restock after the move we WILL have a master inventory, I'm finding way too many duplicate packages.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    In getting ready for our move I'm donating almost all the small supplies to a maker space. When we restock after the move we WILL have a master inventory, I'm finding way too many duplicate packages.
    A lot of things I prefer to keep in multiples just have them located conveniently near where they are used the most but seriously does anyone really need 10 grease guns? And for whatever reason I have no less than 3 of them on my backhoe 2 of which always seems to be empty And I even have 1 hanging in my pump house. There is nothing in there that requires greasing

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I know you're a long way from town so probably not a viable solution for you but I've had good luck finding free file cabinets that serve well to collect and organize things. I store identical things in multiple locations too. I'm also spending less money because I can find stuff I've previously bought and so don't have to rebuy them because I don't know where they are.

But that grease gun in the pump house - at least you know where one is if you always put it back.
    Last edited by Crusty; Mar 26, 2020 at 08:58 AM.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I know you're a long way from town so probably not a viable solution for you but I've had good luck finding free file cabinets that serve well to collect and organize things. I store identical things in multiple locations too. I'm also spending less money because I can find stuff I've previously bought and so don't have to rebuy them because I don't know where they are.
    Yep I have a few of them as well the problem I find with filing cabinets though is I have too much of a tendency to put things in them that if I were honest about it they should be hucked into the rubbish bin instead, but I don't because there might be that one useful piece on what ever it is that I put in the drawer, rather than take the time to remove the parts I thing may still be of some use. The upside of it though is the part is readily identifiable for its use and being left assembled it doesn't get lost among other things and the dirt daubers have difficulty packing any of the fittings with their mud.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information