Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Straightening a trailer tongue using a jack and a chain

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Straightening a trailer tongue using a jack and a chain

My friend from Connecticut drove down last week to get his Prevost Motor coach I had stored for him through the winter.
    When he arrived he told me he had a challenge for me
    A fed EX truck had backed into his trailer and bend the tongue.
    This was how I straightened it I first put in on a pair of work horses then placed my hydraulic toe jack on the damaged area and used a chain to jack against.
    Straightening a trailer tongue using a jack and a chain-wp_20200316_10_42_16_protg.jpg
    Once I had the tubing straight linearly I turned the tongue over and sectioned out the damaged outer face of the tubing then hammered that part flat and welded it back in place
    Straightening a trailer tongue using a jack and a chain-wp_20200316_13_04_38_protg.jpg

Straightening a trailer tongue using a jack and a chain-wp_20200316_13_04_38_protg1.jpg

This is what he paid me for storing his coach and repairing the tongue with
    Straightening a trailer tongue using a jack and a chain-wp_20200319_10_46_52_profd.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Mar 26, 2020), baja (Mar 26, 2020), cmarlow (Mar 29, 2020), HobieDave (Mar 25, 2020), Jon (Mar 25, 2020), KustomsbyKent (Mar 25, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Mar 25, 2020), NortonDommi (Mar 25, 2020), Scotty1 (Mar 25, 2020), Seedtick (Mar 25, 2020)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hopefully the truck isn't a lemon.

Nice repair Frank.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Hopefully the truck isn't a lemon.

Nice repair Frank.
    Thanks back last fall he and I were thinking about me pulling off any thing I wanted from it then send it to the recyclers where he lives
    I have a 2001 Expedition that needs all of the electronics the hood and the windshield plus I could run the tires and rims, the tires have less than 7000 miles on them, since my expedition has steel rims and 2 of the tires are in only fair condition the truck also has a newly remaned transmission but the front seal leaks a little the truck has new brakes and rotors all the way around. The truck is 4x4 my expedition is 2 wheel drive so could turn it into an Eddy Bauer edition by swapping a few things over. But once he arrived my wife came up with the idea of removing the good stuff off if the Expedition and use it on the F150 cut body panels out of the ex. to repair the New England cancer in the F150 she thinks that may be less work. I haven't decided yet. I may look for a wrecked donor vehicle and repair both of them. As soon as he sends me the tittle I might just insur and register it as is the cancer doesn't bother me, I can wait on finding a donor, and once I treat it with some KBS Rust blast it will not advance any more now that it is out here in West Texas.
    Not that I needed another project vehicle with needing to rebuild the transmission in my 93 F350 put a front seal in the 98 Dodge 2500 finish the body work on the 2007 Ranger, replace the heads on the 2002 Honda Pilot repair the front sheet metal on the 2003 Honda Pilot Cut the Honda passport up and make a 4x4 woods buggy out of it, Finish the restore of my 49 Chevy 3100 5 window. and then there are the 3 B model macks to do something with the C600 Mack to restore and my 1944 EQ Mack to get running the 1963 D300 Dodge cab and chassis the 85 Toyota SR5 to replace the head on the 78 Dodge D150 to rebuild the engine and front end .
    Did I leave any thing out? OH yes I want to repaint and do some interior appliance changing on my 1968 GMC Continental Trail ways motor coach conversion and my 84 Subaru Brat And I would really like to replace the sheet metal on my 85 cab over freightliner.
    If I didn't have anything else to work on like building a shop repairing the house keeping up the acreage and removing a lot of dead trees I could stay busy working on vehicles for the next 10 years

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 26, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Mar 25, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Trailer Tongue Straightening Method to our Autobody category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    I feel so "sorry" for all these people who are bored with covid shut-in syndrome. If I had 6 mo I doubt I could get cought up.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by suther51 View Post
    I feel so "sorry" for all these people who are bored with covid shut-in syndrome. If I had 6 mo I doubt I could get cought up.
    Yep, I was so bored today you need to look for my newest thread when I get it posted

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information