Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: table leg drilling jig

Thanks

table leg drilling jig

I make small tables, trays, and such, in my one-man company in Montana. When I see a design that makes me wonder "Could I built that?" I may go for it. I also make chairs and cradles for dolls (though there are no dolls in my shop).

Jigs interest me. Now, I want a jig to hold table legs at an angle for drilling. Most such jigs online tilt back to front but the length of a leg demands a jig that tilts sideways, and tall enough for the leg to clear the edge of the drill table. Suggestions will be appreciated.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Hi Sourdough - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

I'm going to move this discussion into our Tools in Progress subforum, so you can get some ideas from your jig.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Hi Sourdough - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

I'm going to move this discussion into our Tools in Progress subforum, so you can get some ideas from your jig.
    Hi Sourdough, Interesting question, just here are to may options. Basically legs and the table are two pieces joined together and you can make justifications on both sides. It would be helpful to post some pictures of your work and than we could give you appropriate advices. Sorry for this additional effort on you, but it has no sense to invent something that will not fit your expectations. From anther side, here in this forum were posted several solutions for drilling the things under the angle. Keep in mind your solution also depend on the tools you have.
    Cheers Robert

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Jagodic For This Useful Post:

Jon (Oct 7, 2016)

Thanks

majnun's Tools
    This has been the challenge for all Chair and stool builders for thousands of years. I'm sure the technique you're looking for is common to Windsor chairs. Find a book that answers your question.the only suggestion I can make is to build two triangles for both angles, set them on board and sight them as you drill. Or have some one else them with you. That or use a drill press, angling the base for one angle and a shim for the other.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to majnun For This Useful Post:

Jon (Oct 7, 2016)

Thanks
    Hi Sourdough and welcome to the forum. I need more information before I could offer any thoughts or advice. Also as asked an idea of what tools are on hand to work with. There should be several solutions and ways to get this done.

Thanks
    That is an interesting question... I generally build my pieces with primarily straight and square joints and lines in a Scandinavian style with all the corners rounded and smooth... I know the problem you are having and also suggest using your drill press with a slanting jig and shims, or angle the drill press table to account for your secondary angle... This problem is exactly why I build the type and style of furniture that I do... For me it is way too time consuming to have to set up these sort of jigs just to get the legs set on a chair or table, especially as I am not a fan of the style in the first place... I wish you luck though, and commend you for your commitment to your craft....

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum Sourdough! You pose a great question. I concur with the others. Pictures and a list of tools you have access to would be a great starting point.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I make small tables, trays, and such, in my one-man company in Montana. When I see a design that makes me wonder "Could I built that?" I may go for it. I also make chairs and cradles for dolls (though there are no dolls in my shop).

Jigs interest me. Now, I want a jig to hold table legs at an angle for drilling. Most such jigs online tilt back to front but the length of a leg demands a jig that tilts sideways, and tall enough for the leg to clear the edge of the drill table. Suggestions will be appreciated.
    Hi I'm glad Jon brought this to my attention. From the detail in your post i am not too sure what your intention is. do you need to be able to bore a socket at various angles or elase a fixed angle is the hole in two Planes?

For such work I prefer the olde worlde way....... drill brace loaded with the relevant bit and a as I call it incidence block basically a single or two plates made of plywood cut at the relevant angles centred and mounted on a 2 x 1 drilled with a hole large enough to clear your bit........ This means no drill table as in drill press just elbow grease and a workbench!!!! I tend to make these as I go and scrap them send me a pm with contact details and i'll try to assist with some drawings....... ps cnc sketchup whats that and how? i'm more protractor and compass scrap paper merchant but be glad to help if I can

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Use two tilting drill press vises to establish the required compound angles then drill a through hole in a block of wood. Clamp said block to the chair seat and use an electric drill or brace and bit to drill the hole into the chair seat.

If you don't have two DP vises, cut an angled block on the table saw and use it to tilt the tilt vise for the first angle.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Hey Sourdough, I understand your problem had the same issue years ago when I was still furniture restorations. Think ball and socket,I built my jig out of 1/2 pipe and scrap ironwood for ball and hard maple for socket. Drill rod threaded with platform to clamp piece to will leave it to your imagination to design as you please. But I can go into detail if you have trouble. I turned ball on lathe but can buy all parts you need at Home Depot. Woodcravers also have something similar for in the round work.
    Wish I still had the one I made,guess just have to make another one better this time. Good luck

Thread Information