Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: table leg drilling jig

Thanks
    Mr. Sourdough.
    Welcome Sir, you have come to the right place!
    We all love our jigs. Sometimes designing and building the jig is more fun and challenging than the project it's intended for. Everyone here brings years of knowledge to the table. I'm sure there is a creative solution(s) to help you reach your end goal. With that said, I have to agree with the other members that more info is needed in order to help you. I'm willing to help out in any way I can.

Chat soon,
    Brian

~"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas Edison
    ~"Some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

sourdough-jig for table legs

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I make small tables, trays, and such, in my one-man company in Montana. When I see a design that makes me wonder "Could I built that?" I may go for it. I also make chairs and cradles for dolls (though there are no dolls in my shop).

Jigs interest me. Now, I want a jig to hold table legs at an angle for drilling. Most such jigs online tilt back to front but the length of a leg demands a jig that tilts sideways, and tall enough for the leg to clear the edge of the drill table. Suggestions will be appreciated.
    sorry table legs is something that i have never done.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

shopstorm's Tools
    Hello Sourdough ... Welcome.

I have a drill press I modified so that the table would rotate between two opposing surfaces. So it has a basic position between 0 degrees and 180 degrees. As I built it I realized that adding various positions or lock in points would allow you to create highly repeatable angle setups with nothing but a stock wood table and fence. I have presets at 10, 35, 45, 90 on my current setup. I can lock in any angle in seconds and the repetitive accuracy is well within .005.

I'm just wondering if you think such a setup would help you.

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/r...ss-table-11850

Thanks
    table leg drilling jig-drill-press-vertical-drilling-jig-2.jpg
    --
    table leg drilling jig-drill-press-vertical-drilling-jig-1.jpg

These show making a vertical table hung over the side of the horizontal drill press table...and a vertical fence is added on the vertical table thus giving drilling access to the end of the workpiece.

These show 90deg end drilling, but you can fix a vertical fence at an angle or make a variable angle vertical fence on the jig. If you have a benchtop drill press, then the key to this is that the drill head gets rotated on the post, past the base of the drill press so there is vertical space for clamping the long workpiece. (So the drill bit is not centered over the drill press base.)

The second jig shown is end-drilling a short piece, but for a long piece, you'll need to move the drill press base near the edge of your cabinet or table and swing the drill head over. Then the drill press table is moved around so the drill bit is positioned correctly.

If you have a full height drill press, then you just need to move the drill press table over so the bit is positioned over the workpiece after it is clamped to your vertical support.

If you need compound drilling angles, then clamp one of these jigs to a tilting base like you have seen before.
    Last edited by SpenceChicago; Oct 8, 2016 at 06:19 PM.

Thanks
    Depending on what type of work you do, production or not, I would build a jig for a certain length of leg that can be easily clamped to the jig or held in place. Then build the jig to easily and quickly mount to the table with some bolts in t-slots. Unfortunately, I do not know what kind of drill press you have or if your table can easily tilt left or right. This would also depend if your drilling the end grain or side grain of the piece. Have you ever thought about just drilling in a large block of wood with the size of the drill bit and the correct angle, then just using a hand drill? This might be easier and faster than mocking something up on a drill press.

Hope this helps, Christian.

Thanks
    This works for square or round stools or small tables. Sketch should give an idea, adjustable in 5 degree increments angling out. Set angle at block desired adjust drill stop for depth required. Drill and stop not shown, jig size can vary. table leg drilling jig-table-jig.jpg

Thanks
    table leg drilling jig-table-jig2.jpg Another view in case it's not clear.

Thanks

shopstorm's Tools
    As a follow up to my previous post, I recalled this crude jig I used to drill 45 angles in some bench legs.

A jig repeats a task that accounts for many things, position, depth, angle, etc... You appear to be focused on the repetition of the angle. Without photos and more description is this the sort of function you have in mind?

The assumption is that you have a wood working table on a appropriately sized drill that allows you to consistently mount and remount this jig. I find it easy to keep one drilled prototype to help when reapplying a jig after removal.

Anyhow, hope that makes sense. Here is a photo. I used the table saw to achieve the correct angles in the jig. A accurate chop saw would also work. table leg drilling jig-20161009_101044.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I make small tables, trays, and such, in my one-man company in Montana. When I see a design that makes me wonder "Could I built that?" I may go for it. I also make chairs and cradles for dolls (though there are no dolls in my shop).

Jigs interest me. Now, I want a jig to hold table legs at an angle for drilling. Most such jigs online tilt back to front but the length of a leg demands a jig that tilts sideways, and tall enough for the leg to clear the edge of the drill table. Suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Sourdough, good question. Maybe not alot of help here, but I would agree with some that more information I believe would be needed to see what it is you are trying to do. Using a drill press with a tilting jig seems to be better then trying to tilt the drill press table, at least for me. But depending on the length of the leg and the location of the drilling may bring up issues. More details would help.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information