Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thread machining attachment - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,879 Times in 11,345 Posts

Thread machining attachment - video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Oct 5, 2023), johncg (Oct 5, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Oct 6, 2023), nova_robotics (Oct 8, 2023), Resident114 (Oct 5, 2023), uv8452 (Oct 4, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    As always I am very curious what is under those covers. Is it mechanical linkage? Or perhaps electronic encoding with a motor driven output?

CNC machines are already capable of creating any thread pitch you enter into it. Search YouTube for "Threadmilling: The Ultimate Guide! WW187"

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Mook's Tools

thread machining attachment - video

Brilliant idea, can possibly also be set for tapered threads. I'm not too sure about whether the helix angle is required if there is sufficient clearance on the tool.
    Thread mills could also be used, or even a tap for full form threads providing the axis is set without a helix angle.

I now have to work out the mechanism so I can sleep lol.

Standard threaded insert boring bars can be used for internal & external thread milling. See demonstration video below.

Even face mills can cut threads -
    Last edited by Mook; Oct 6, 2023 at 08:57 AM. Reason: posted wron video

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mook For This Useful Post:

flyfr8rs (Oct 6, 2023), Jon (Oct 6, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Oct 6, 2023)

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Thread milling is neither a "New Invention" nor "Groundbreaking" nor "New Technology"

What you have here is a variation on a theme. The video is CNC thread cutting without the spindle holding the work being controlled by a motor but rather a hand crank.

He thinks it is a new development - I don't think so. He may have a different implentation, but I don't see how it can't be built using the same hardware as an electroinc lead screw to control the rotation and positioning information and a controller to modify the position of the cutter head (a CNC controlled axis).

I like the idea. I don't think the hand crank is of any value. If you go to the trouble of controlling the position of the cutter and the rotation angle of the work, why stop there and use a crank.

Think of it another way - this is single point threading except that the single point cutter is a fly cutter that can make the full depth of cut in one pass.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Oct 8, 2023)

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    There is a post from a vendor's web site from 2012 that says CNC milling machines need three axis control and all machines built in the last 10-15 years have that, so this capability has been around for 20-25 years or more...

Thanks

Mook's Tools
    I like the idea of the electronic leadscrew but I would prefer it to be used in conjunction with the hand crank. The reason is that you can creep up on the cut and " feel " the tool cutting, not in the sense of feedback through the crank, but observing & listening to the process. Then the feedrate/speed can be constantly modified to suit the condititions.

My 2 cents if that this is a candidate for cutting worm gears and coarse threads with the capability to cut smaller threads if possible. It must be able to cut a very long lead to cover almost everything including decorative spindle turning. I suspect this could become unwieldy mechanically but the electronic leadscrew could cope. Another option is a IVT or CVT between the crank and a leadscrew.

I'm still looking for conclusive proof that setting the part at the helix angle still produces a correctly formed thread with the tool form not square to the thread axis. When thread grinding with large diameter wheels set at the helix angle for clearance, the wheel form is modified to suit. This suggests the tool should not be a true thread form if the part is tilted off square.

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    [QUOTE=Mook;229639I'm still looking for conclusive proof that setting the part at the helix angle still produces a correctly formed thread with the tool form not square to the thread axis. When thread grinding with large diameter wheels set at the helix angle for clearance, the wheel form is modified to suit. This suggests the tool should not be a true thread form if the part is tilted off square.[/QUOTE]

Given the relationship of a single point cutter to the work and the type of thread created, I would think this method is just moving stuff that is stationary and leaves stationary stuff that moves.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,650 Times in 710 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJohn View Post
    Thread milling is neither a "New Invention" nor "Groundbreaking" nor "New Technology"

What you have here is a variation on a theme. The video is CNC thread cutting without the spindle holding the work being controlled by a motor but rather a hand crank.
    There are way too many of these "New invention" videos appearing on here. Only a few days ago I made a similar reply to yours on another video claiming something or other was new. It wasn't.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,650 Times in 710 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Mook View Post
    I like the idea of the electronic leadscrew but I would prefer it to be used in conjunction with the hand crank. The reason is that you can creep up on the cut and " feel " the tool cutting, not in the sense of feedback through the crank, but observing & listening to the process.
    You may be interested in a post with video that I made here a year or two back. It describes my conversion to an electronic lathe, it is far more than an ELS but less than full CNC. Ball screw and electronic lathe conversion

As well as straight turning it will do tapers and curves, either end curves or curves along the length either concave or convex. Some functions can be additive so it can be set to do a taper AND screwcutting. That will produce a tapered thread either increasing or decreasing diameter. The same applies to curves. It will screwcut on a curve, I have never needed that yet but it can be done.

Here is a link to an update on the project. More on my lathe conversion

Of course a similar control could be applied to a mill, but I have a 4 axis CNC mill so there is no incentive.

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    There are way too many of these "New invention" videos appearing on here. Only a few days ago I made a similar reply to yours on another video claiming something or other was new. It wasn't.
    My red flags go up whenever the words New or Never or Fantastic and a few others appear.

I don't mind an interesting idea with a new way to do something or a cheaper way, but I agree, if someone claims it is new and a quick search shows it isn't, please!!!!

Thread Information