Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: Took the first step towards building my shop

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Instant wall! Instant shipping.
    Let Amazo, fleabay or cheap offshore labor beat that!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    never waste time with a grinder or a saw when you have a torch available
    A quote that's worth remembering.

But I've found that my stand mounted handheld Milwaukee Bandsaw is so quick to use and fast at metal cutting that it's become my goto tool for small (6") cutting jobs.

2000 Tool Plans
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    the East wall is coming along nicely actually except for continuing to complete the full height of it the wall is as far as it is going to be since the entire remaining area will be a pair of 22 ft wide doors I am thinking that as soon as I finish the repairs on the trailer in the shop I will build the west wall which will be 20 feet of wall and a single 48 ft wide door.
    To most the size of the doors I am wanting is probably mind boggling but you have to remember I live in farm country more importantly cotton and Hay are the principal crops the equipment can be huge. Just today 3 tractors drove by with their attachments folded they still took up the entire road and part of the easement on both sides and were bout 15 feet tall. try to imagine needing a place to work on one of those inside during the winter that is why the front door is going to be 48 feet wide and 17 feet high
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200914_15_32_17_richew.jpg
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I have a couple of tools that I thankfully don't need very often, but that doesn't take away from them being extremely valuable when I do need them.
    The problem with both of them is they lay flat on the floor taking up lots of space not that I mind that so much as my shop and storage areas are large anyway. However since they are only around 7 inches tall they either get shoved under something but still stick way out in the way or I am constantly having to find a more suitable place to store them hopefully out of the way. most places in a shop that is out of the way winds up being a repository for anything and everything that needs stored out of the way meaning these tools wind up on the bottom of a stack of somethings.
    Well I think I solved that issue today once and for all I hung them up like pictures on the wall 1 weighs around 200 lbs while the other weighs around 75 lbs
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200915_11_34_58_richtj.jpg
    The only bad thing I can think of now is everyone who visits my shop will see a pair of transmission jacks hanging on the wall and will assume that I am willing to repair their transmission

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The only bad thing I can think of now is everyone who visits my shop will see a pair of transmission jacks hanging on the wall and will assume that I am willing to repair their transmission
    Or they'll want to borrow them. And then you have to fetch them when needed, and might forget where they went. Worse, they come back broken, as that's been my experience.
    But you know where they are at now.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Or they'll want to borrow them. And then you have to fetch them when needed, and might forget where they went. Worse, they come back broken, as that's been my experience.
    But you know where they are at now.
    Not many around me who would even know what to do with one of them if they did ask to borrow.
    There are only 2 guys in the whole county who I would lend them to anyway. 1 is a car mechanic in town he runs the only state and DOT inspection place in the county. he has seen them and thought if ever he needed to pull a transmission that required the larger of the 2 the truck was going tob e delivered to me instead of his place
    The other guy lives about a mile from me he and I often trade hours with each other he is a diesel mechanic /welder / sometime machinist so we have a few things in common I borrowed his transmission jack once then built my own large one for the next time I needed to use a jack he somehow over loaded his jack and blew the seals so I let him borrow mine as mine is also larger by capacity than his, his jack being only 2000 lb and mine will lift 4000 easy.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Have made some real progress on the North wall
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20200923_104724ns.jpg

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Now there's more between you and the North Pole than a few strands of barb wire. Just in time too.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    Now there's more between you and the North Pole than a few strands of barb wire. Just in time too.
    Actually I have the wall completed all the way to the corner now just haven't taken a picture yet I still have to wall in around the bus but I want to leave the windows exposed for ventilation and light

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I thought I read in a previous post about insulating the wall. Is that some sort of rigid foam board?

Thread Information