Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Topside Mechanic Creeper

Thanks

Imabass's Tools

Topside Mechanic Creeper

I am in need of a topside creeper. It is amazing how much easier it was to reach the spark plugs on the back of the V10 engine with the topside creeper.

I was thinking about building one that is just way over the top but I really needed to get some maintenance done. I came up with this idea with a few 2x4’s and about 5’ scrap 2x12 and a 13’ multiladder that I had.

I set the ladder to where the legs made a 90* angle to the floor. I drilled some holes in the bottom of the ladder legs to attach 2x4’s for stability. I set the 2x12 across the top steps and made a support that rests on a step. I also drilled some small holes in the top step to screw the 2x12 to the top step of the ladder. I then used a ratchet strap as a safety in case the screws were inadequate. This was quick and dirty and improvised in about 30 minutes.

Topside Mechanic Creeper-20180919_191150.jpgTopside Mechanic Creeper-20180919_191047.jpgTopside Mechanic Creeper-20180919_191104.jpgTopside Mechanic Creeper-20180919_191122.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Why buy it if you can build it.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Imabass For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 20, 2018), Inner (Sep 20, 2018), Jon (Sep 20, 2018), nova_robotics (Oct 7, 2020), oldcaptainrusty (Jan 5, 2019), PJs (Sep 24, 2018), rlm98253 (Sep 20, 2018), robertblacksmith (Dec 7, 2023), Scotsman Hosie (Nov 11, 2022), Seedtick (Sep 20, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Sep 20, 2018), Tuomas (Sep 20, 2018), volodar (Oct 12, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Using a topside platform like the one you posted helps immensely when having to access the rear cylinders.
    Having worked on many Fords over the years I've learned to despise them.
    Ever since 1994 when Dodge came out with the 1950's retro look but slopped their hood and pushed the windshield forward, Ford and others have played the me too game.
    But Ford IMO went a few steps further it trying to own the look. It is almost easier to pull the cab to do any work on the engine, and would be save for the heating AC and brake lines and having to remove all of the plastic trim work to access the mounting bolts.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    First i looked the picture and tought that you have trunk filled with stuff and you need to reach behind them. lol

Good idea. I would have needed something similar by myself too.
    I have placed piece plywood on top of the engine and leaned to it, not very good position, because i am somewhat short. Standing on your toes doesn't feel very good after couple hours.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Imabass! We've added your Topside Mechanic Creeper to our Automotive category,
    as well as to your builder page: Imabass's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Cool Idea Imabass! Your device would be good for working on Tall 4x4's too! Perhaps adding some sort of lipped tool/parts tray would be handy?

Like Frank, I sometimes I think Vehicle engineer/designers are in cahoots with Snap-On and should never be allowed to put pencil to paper without a 3 year apprenticeship as a wrench under a seasoned service writer giving them all the "Good Jobs"!

Back in the day I remember drilling holes in the fender wells to reach the back plugs on 69' Cougars and such, and in a Jensen Interceptor with a 440 Mopar and then plugging them with plastic/rubber sheet metal caps. Of course this still required several extensions, a wobble socket and possibly a short wobble or u-joints and a diligent dexterity guiding of the lot to the plug...after you got the plug wire off. Also had the joy of changing a Right side exhaust (cracked at the rear cylinder) manifold on that Interceptor...no small feat and thank goodness it wasn't on the steering column side!

Creative Job Imbass!

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Imabass's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Cool Idea Imabass! Your device would be good for working on Tall 4x4's too! Perhaps adding some sort of lipped tool/parts tray would be handy?

PJ
    I plan to build one that is more substantial and user friendly but that takes time and I am in short supply of time. I was thinking about one with a 8 ton long ram jack to adjust the height. Something with substantial casters and adjustable arms forward and sideways for stability. Also a magnetic parts and tool trey would be nice.

Since my time is in such short supply maybe I will have my wife buy me a commercial version for Christmas.
    Why buy it if you can build it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Imabass For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 24, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Back in the early 90s I was installing some of my machines at the GM testing facility in Upstate NY. where they subjected vehicles to every conceivable in-climate environment they could imagine. This meant that one of my machines was to be installed in a room where the temperatures could reach -40°f and + 125°f One of the young engineers was asking me several questions about how did I know my machines would stand up to the cold and the heat they would be subjected to.
    Well first off I have machines installed in Juno Alaska and Duluth MN. secondly I have machines installed in Israel and Saudi Arabia as well as in Hawaii Australia and in the PNW out in the Olympics so I know they have been subjected to real world hot cold dry and wet some of them have been in service as much as 20 years before I bought into the company and started adding my input to their designs. That's how I know these machines will stand up. And if you want to learn how ot make the GM products survive in all extreme conditions take a step backwards in the automotive world revisit the things that had to be done to the vehicles that were part of the Dew Line and the equipment that was used to carry supplies for the power grids throughout central and South America as well as the vehicles used to traverse the Deserts of North Africa when you can combine all of their traits into a modern day vehicle paying particular attention to the accessibility and repairing of anything which might wear out under normal conditions then and only then will GM Ford or Chrysler be able to make a decent vehicle that will most probably last through at least 2 complete generations of users.
    But if we did that there would be no need for dealership repair centers and we wouldn't be able to sell as many new vehicles each year.
    EXACTLY was my last comment.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 25, 2018)

Thread Information