Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: TPG 3

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools

TPG 3

Greetings from the southern hemisphere,
    many have guessed that this was coming, my new tool post grinder system. This time I think I got it right...phew. Third time lucky they say.
    I just like stuff to work, don't we all?

regards Stevoh

TPG 3-img_20201118_134805_copy_1160x868.jpg

TPG 3-img_20201118_134830_copy_1160x868.jpg

TPG 3-img_20201118_134854_copy_1160x868.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Stevohdee For This Useful Post:

asterix (Nov 18, 2020), bigtrev8xl (Nov 19, 2020), bruce.desertrat (Nov 18, 2020), Carnel (Nov 19, 2020), Christophe Mineau (Nov 21, 2020), H.L (Nov 21, 2020), Home-PC (Nov 18, 2020), Jon (Nov 18, 2020), madmick77 (Nov 19, 2020), NortonDommi (Nov 19, 2020), phred (Nov 18, 2020), Tonyg (Nov 18, 2020), trigger (Nov 20, 2020), Tule (Nov 19, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Stevohdee! We've added your Tool Post Grinder to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: Stevohdee's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations Stevohdee - your Tool Post Grinder is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

We've watched this tool go through multiple iterations; it's nice to see it in this form.

Some more good builds from this week:

Optical Center Punch by fox craft
    Heat Treatment Oven by Eaglewood
    Welding Third Hand by Haslip Cycle Works
    Air Compressor by Frank S
    Machine Movers by winkys workshop
    Copper Line Reforming Method by Frank S
    Lathe Steady Rest by winkys workshop
    Fixture Clamps by Haslip Cycle Works
    CNC Router Spindle by editor@glue-it.com
    Loader Bucket Cutting Edge by Frank S
    Electric Caulking Gun by Didpoolhall
    Mini Table Saw and Sander by Lahis
    Outfeed Roller Table by tiger carpenter
    Circular Saw by Lahis
    Bead Roller by darkoford
    Clamp by orioncons36
    Portable Miter Saw Station by Didpoolhall
    Metal Detector by HandmadeCreativeChannel
    Lathe Apron Repair by ttmrj
    Drill Press Table by tiger carpenter

Stevohdee - you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 7th Homemade Tool of the Week win. Here are all of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools. Congrats again

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Well deserved Stevohdee! It's been an instructive journey as you proceeded through versions...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    Well deserved Stevohdee! It's been an instructive journey as you proceeded through versions...
    Thanks bruce

Thanks
    Thank for your Stevohdee!
    Thanks for your input, your great mood and creativity make you one of my favorite makers of the best tools creations, please keep doing it!

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    First time seeing this post Stevohdee. I'm frustrated by the extreme runout on ER collets, and it does not matter what size they are. Cheap is cheap. And they may advertise 0.005mm runout, but it always seems it's way beyond 0.03mm. Some sellers are 'more' honest, and claim 0.015mm runout, but they are still greater then those numbers. Worse is the chucks, where they are not even ground with a concentric offset to the axis of the tool, but at an angle so the further from the chuck the greater the work piece or tool runout. I check the runout at the outer lip, and inner edge of the 8 degree conical ground surface, and I've not see the same runout to find just a slight offset from the axis of the final grind process.

I've had much better luck with R8 and 5C collets then my ER40 and ER50 collets.
    I wonder how they could be held to repair them. Would sliding them onto a mandrel (custom to each size) and grind the exterior 8 degree taper be the best way to fix them? That would be hope-ing that the friction of the un-clamped collet would be enough to overcome grinding forces. And would require using another collet to hold the mandrel, and just how concentric that collet is. The mandrel could be ground in the 5C collet (thinking of a spin indexer on a surface grinder), to correct for it's runout. But what a job that would be to fix a cheap set. I'll have to see if there's a YouTube video of someone doing this.

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    This Old Tony just did a video on bad ER Collets

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

ductape (Feb 27, 2023), Home-PC (Feb 27, 2023), nova_robotics (Feb 27, 2023), schuylergrace (Feb 28, 2023)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I saw that when it came out, but it was not on fixing bad ones, but the cost of runout damaging small expensive endmills.

If I were a production shop, I would only buy the sizes in current need for tool shanks that are specific sizes. And get high quality that has the sub tenths/microns runout.

But being a model shop guy, I buy the set's that are in my budget.

Most of which collect dust. At least that's the experience I have. I'm new to ER types, and have never seen this issue with the 5C and R8. But then I don't use micro diameter end mills either.

So the question is how to fix these damn cheap ER collets?

I did purchase a cheap 5C lathe collet chuck a few years ago with a D1-8 mount. That chuck had horrible runout, and I ended up buy a Bison brand to swap out on the lathe adapter. It had the exact same mounting holes and pilot, which was machined correctly. You would think with all the CNC machining that the quality would be near perfect for even the low cost tooling.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I just had some bad ER16 collets that ruined a few days works. Serves me right for buying cheap.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information