Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Trays in the workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Trays in the workshop

Hint #1:

Instead of placing a toolbox/chest of storage drawers directly on the workbench/shelf/roller cabinet top, put down two lengths of 2x4 and place the object on those. This creates an area under the object that can store flattish items. It's like getting an extra drawer for free. Putting sliding trays* in this space makes it even more drawer-like.

Hint #2:

We all allow "stuff" to accumulate on the workbench which we then need to move when we need to use the whole bench space. I solved this by covering that area of the bench with trays*. Now, when I need the space, it's easy to pick up the tray and its contents rather than having to handle each item separately. Of course, if you're one of those folks whose bench is always operating theater clean, feel free to ignore my idea. :-)

*Sources for trays:

Craft stores, eg Michaels, sell unfinished wooden trays that work well for lighter items
    Rectangular cake baking pans work well
    Cafeteria trays work well for larger spaces
    There are innumerable varieties of plastic kitchen drawer organizers sold
    If all else fails a sheet of plywood with a wood trim fence glued around the outer edge is easy to make

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Jon (Sep 16, 2015), Moby Duck (Mar 3, 2016), Paul Jones (Jul 8, 2016), Workshopshed (Sep 17, 2015)

Thanks

Workshopshed's Tools
    I was lucky enough to find some trays in the bathroom section at Ikea which were exactly half the width of my drill drawer, so that now has two holding my drill bits. Unfortunately the particular item is no longer in stock.
    I've lots of old cigar boxes holding my work in progress projects, you can get them free at most cigar shops in the UK for a small charity donation.

2000 Tool Plans
    Andy from Workshopshed
    "Making and repairing things in a shed at the bottom of the garden"
    workshopshed.com

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Great tips, mklotz! I use those stackable storage bins myself, by threes, on my work table.

Thanks
    Nearly finished this workshop desk that I've left a run along the center 12mm deep, the center of that raises higher than either side of the bench. The whole center section lifts out to give access to the inside edge of both sides for clamping and stuff. The main idea is/was so things like float valves and dicky little screws roll into the bench instead of onto the floor. But it's a bit heavy at the moment to act like a tool box. But if I route stackable trays into the channels it will signifigantly lessen the weight... and make parts and things easier to relocate/locate. Thanks, I needed that idea.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information