Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Truck drives into aircraft wing - photo

Thanks

Karl_H's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfols View Post
    A truck driver told me those pods on the wings of airplanes are used for spraying chemicals.
    So goes the contrail conspiracy!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Your truck driver was full of it.
    They are to minimize the drag caused by eddy's or to cover mechanisms such as the flap tracks, or both. That particular one is for the eddies caused when the aileron, that is the movable section outboard of the landing flap, moves up and down. Ailerons move down to lift a wing up and vice versa. With very few exceptions aircraft change direction by lifting the wing on the side you are turning away from. The fin at the back provides directional stability and the rudder behind it is almost purely to compensate for cross (side) winds during takeoff and landing

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by MiTasol; Apr 18, 2020 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    It is difficult to image how a driver could do that. How could the driver NOT SEE that big wing right in front of him? I wonder if the plane was pushed back into the truck?
    No skid marks on the pavement. I think your right OR the plane turned and hit the truck. At any rate, the truck wasn't moving. Only a SWIFT driver would run into a plane!!!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye1 View Post
    No skid marks on the pavement. I think your right OR the plane turned and hit the truck. At any rate, the truck wasn't moving. Only a SWIFT driver would run into a plane!!!!!!
    From one of the many press reports - this one includes other photos of the truck

Trucker hauling racehorses hurt after colliding with airplane
    Wishing the driver a quick recovery.

By Ashley -March 13, 2020

A truck driver hauling horses was injured yesterday after a collision with a plane at a Kentucky airport.

The crash occurred around 5:30 a.m. on Thursday, March 12, at the Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Kentucky.

According to airport spokesperson Amy Caudill, a truck hauling a horse trailer on an airport ramp collided with a Boeing 727 owned by Tex Sutton Equine Air Transportation, causing the wing of the aircraft to go through the cab of his truck.

The truck driver was transported to the hospital. His condition is unknown.

Caudill said that three other people “in the back of the truck” were uninjured.

The two racehorses on the truck were also unhurt.

Airport officials say that trucks are allowed on airport ramps in order to transport horses directly from the plane to the trailer.

The two horses on board the truck are still set to race in the Jeff Ruby Stakes in Florence, Kentucky, on Saturday.

The incident remains under investigation.

You can bend steel, but you can’t bend The Stiff…your everyday “one semi, one 747” fender bender. Sending good thoughts to our driver… pic.twitter.com/2crhaCCr8H

— Michael W. McCarthy (@mwmracing) March 12, 2020

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MiTasol For This Useful Post:

Duke_of_URL (Apr 19, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Maybe we do not know the whole story yet since, "The incident remains under investigation". The articles only say the truck collided with the plane. I can see how it may have happened either way.

I can see how someone could drive UNDER a wing then have the box hit the plane. Just like someone driving into a garage with their bikes strapped on top of their car. I just don't understand how you could just drive into a wing when it is right there in front of your face. It could be one of those situations, where the truck and plane were both ready to go, and both had clearance to do their intended, proper maneuver. Then they both started moving at the same time. What I can imagine is the driver, saying at the last minute, " Oh, Snap!!!"

https://abc7ny.com/american-airlines...rport/1710219/

https://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/...tional-airport

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...burgh-airport/

Thanks
    You may be right but then again every one of the newspaper reports has the truck moving and the aircraft stationary.

There are also no shortage of news articles on trucks trying to drive under bridges that are too low, including bridges that take the top off the cab.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MiTasol For This Useful Post:

Karl_H (Apr 19, 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiTasol View Post
    You may be right but then again every one of the newspaper reports has the truck moving and the aircraft stationary.

There are also no shortage of news articles on trucks trying to drive under bridges that are too low, including bridges that take the top off the cab.
    There are also plenty of news stories where the reporter has no idea what they are talking/writing about.
    I was in an accident about 5 yrs. ago where some 80 yr old guy decided he didn't like stop signs any more and blew thru one at about 60 mph and launched his Ford Taurus into the dump truck and pup trailer I was driving. The story in the paper stated that "the truck driver was uninjured" right below the picture of the EMTs strapping me to a back board with a neck brace on and the whole bit.
    I heard later that the old guy walked to the ambulance and was released. 5years and as many surgeries later I'm still a gimp, so much for "uninjured"

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    You can tell by where the glass fell on the ground. Momentum carried the majority of it forward landing to the front part of the truck. It doesn't look like he was going very fast though.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information