Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Truck drives up runaway truck ramp - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,828 Times in 11,333 Posts

Truck drives up runaway truck ramp - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (May 8, 2019), durrelltn (Jan 8, 2022), Hemi (May 7, 2019), KustomsbyKent (May 8, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (May 8, 2019), Seedtick (May 7, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Was he trying to do a hill-climb? I've seen many a track on runaway truck ramps here in Colo. on Wolf Creek Pass and on Coalbank Hill . I've not seen one reach so high. I can't imagine anything more frightening, though, than when your brakes turn to grease because they're overheated. Gear down boys, gear down.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neilbourjaily For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (May 8, 2019), Toolmaker51 (May 10, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by neilbourjaily View Post
    Was he trying to do a hill-climb? I've seen many a track on runaway truck ramps here in Colo. on Wolf Creek Pass and on Coalbank Hill . I've not seen one reach so high. I can't imagine anything more frightening, though, than when your brakes turn to grease because they're overheated. Gear down boys, gear down.
    You are absolutely correct. Back in the day when a big engine was considered 400 HP with no engine assisted brake IE Jake brake or the Caterpillar brake saver which was little more than a huge turbine type torque converter running off of the massive oil pump in the engine. the smart policy was to descend the hill in 1 gear lower than the one you reached the top in. on mountain passes like Cabbage in Oregon still today there are huge signs depicting the maximum safe speed to descend for a given vehicle weight. it the sign says you should be doing 18 MPH You really need to be doing 18 MPH when you pass that last warning sign. Even if you have the latest greatest engine braking available you are still going to have to be on the brakes much of the way down. And now so many places restrict the use of engine braking because they feel the noise offends the local residents. Bluff Utah prohibits engine exhaust brakes because they are afraid the sound echoing off the cliff walls might dislodge the balanced rock on the spire there. Towns and cities in the flat lands impose these restrictions as a means to enhance their muni coffers.
    Those runaway truck ramps are a very last ditch safety measure if you are already in that much trouble get ready to be brought to an abrupt halt many of them have loose gravel that is very deep as much as 4 or 5 feet deep but some are just long and steep like the one in the video. I've never seen evidence of a truck making it that far in one so this guy must have been really moving when he entered and remained standing on the power as a staged event. If so I bet the fine he paid and the tow bill came close to the NTL debt by comparison. Yes entering one of these safety runaway ramps intentionally is illegal everywhere.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    NICE! GOOD to have those runaways on the downhill! Thing is, that looks A LOT like a few sections of I-68 in Maryland! Same terrain, and the hill climb too..... Makes me wonder if it isn't!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    You are absolutely correct. Back in the day when a big engine was considered 400 HP with no engine assisted brake IE Jake brake or the Caterpillar brake saver which was little more than a huge turbine type torque converter running off of the massive oil pump in the engine. the smart policy was to descend the hill in 1 gear lower than the one you reached the top in. on mountain passes like Cabbage in Oregon still today there are huge signs depicting the maximum safe speed to descend for a given vehicle weight. it the sign says you should be doing 18 MPH You really need to be doing 18 MPH when you pass that last warning sign. Even if you have the latest greatest engine braking available you are still going to have to be on the brakes much of the way down. And now so many places restrict the use of engine braking because they feel the noise offends the local residents. Bluff Utah prohibits engine exhaust brakes because they are afraid the sound echoing off the cliff walls might dislodge the balanced rock on the spire there. Towns and cities in the flat lands impose these restrictions as a means to enhance their muni coffers.
    Those runaway truck ramps are a very last ditch safety measure if you are already in that much trouble get ready to be brought to an abrupt halt many of them have loose gravel that is very deep as much as 4 or 5 feet deep but some are just long and steep like the one in the video. I've never seen evidence of a truck making it that far in one so this guy must have been really moving when he entered and remained standing on the power as a staged event. If so I bet the fine he paid and the tow bill came close to the NTL debt by comparison. Yes entering one of these safety runaway ramps intentionally is illegal everywhere.
    in australia you get fined for using the runaway ramps

8. The Following User Says Thank You to macka For This Useful Post:

Drew1966 (May 9, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    ..... this guy must have been really moving when he entered and remained standing on the power as a staged event. .....
    There are black marks on the bitumen and blue tire smoke at the start of the clip. But thats not to say he still didnt stage it

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    There are black marks on the bitumen and blue tire smoke at the start of the clip. But thats not to say he still didnt stage it
    Its highly possible, too difficult to call, there is a significant amount of smoke prior to the vehicle entering the ramp. The smoke could be from the brakes as well which would be aa trigger for someone to video the event. As far as any marks on the road surface those could have been there for quite a while. Plus not all ramps are constructed the same that one is longer than many nd may depend largely on the rise in elevation and length to expel the kinetic energy. One thing is a given though to retrieve the vehicle someone was going to have to pay out a large sum of money not as large as it would have been had the ramp not been there

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,828 Times in 11,333 Posts

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (May 10, 2019), hansgoudzwaard (May 9, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (May 9, 2019), Seedtick (May 9, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    forget to pop the yellow button much?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (May 9, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    forget to pop the yellow button much?
    Yes. Instead of tying a string around his finger, he lets the tractor roll a short distance.
    THAT reminder works every time.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (May 9, 2019)

Thread Information