Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Truck drives up runaway truck ramp - GIF

  1. #1
    Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    16,843
    Thanks
    4,035
    Thanked 17,248 Times in 5,054 Posts

    Truck drives up runaway truck ramp - GIF

    Homemade Tools Supporters Forum
    Tool plans, build guides, ebooks, and more.

    Click here to become a supporter

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

    baja (05-08-2019), Hemi (05-07-2019), KustomsbyKent (05-08-2019), Scotsman Hosie (05-08-2019), Seedtick (05-07-2019)

  3. #2
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Was he trying to do a hill-climb? I've seen many a track on runaway truck ramps here in Colo. on Wolf Creek Pass and on Coalbank Hill . I've not seen one reach so high. I can't imagine anything more frightening, though, than when your brakes turn to grease because they're overheated. Gear down boys, gear down.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neilbourjaily For This Useful Post:

    Scotsman Hosie (05-08-2019), Toolmaker51 (05-10-2019)

  5. #3
    Supporting Member Frank S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Peacock TX
    Posts
    4,636
    Thanks
    702
    Thanked 3,723 Times in 1,872 Posts

    Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by neilbourjaily View Post
    Was he trying to do a hill-climb? I've seen many a track on runaway truck ramps here in Colo. on Wolf Creek Pass and on Coalbank Hill . I've not seen one reach so high. I can't imagine anything more frightening, though, than when your brakes turn to grease because they're overheated. Gear down boys, gear down.
    You are absolutely correct. Back in the day when a big engine was considered 400 HP with no engine assisted brake IE Jake brake or the Caterpillar brake saver which was little more than a huge turbine type torque converter running off of the massive oil pump in the engine. the smart policy was to descend the hill in 1 gear lower than the one you reached the top in. on mountain passes like Cabbage in Oregon still today there are huge signs depicting the maximum safe speed to descend for a given vehicle weight. it the sign says you should be doing 18 MPH You really need to be doing 18 MPH when you pass that last warning sign. Even if you have the latest greatest engine braking available you are still going to have to be on the brakes much of the way down. And now so many places restrict the use of engine braking because they feel the noise offends the local residents. Bluff Utah prohibits engine exhaust brakes because they are afraid the sound echoing off the cliff walls might dislodge the balanced rock on the spire there. Towns and cities in the flat lands impose these restrictions as a means to enhance their muni coffers.
    Those runaway truck ramps are a very last ditch safety measure if you are already in that much trouble get ready to be brought to an abrupt halt many of them have loose gravel that is very deep as much as 4 or 5 feet deep but some are just long and steep like the one in the video. I've never seen evidence of a truck making it that far in one so this guy must have been really moving when he entered and remained standing on the power as a staged event. If so I bet the fine he paid and the tow bill came close to the NTL debt by comparison. Yes entering one of these safety runaway ramps intentionally is illegal everywhere.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use [url]http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/[/url]

  6. #4
    Supporting Member Hemi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 26 Times in 16 Posts

    Hemi's Tools
    NICE! GOOD to have those runaways on the downhill! Thing is, that looks A LOT like a few sections of I-68 in Maryland! Same terrain, and the hill climb too..... Makes me wonder if it isn't!

  7. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    You are absolutely correct. Back in the day when a big engine was considered 400 HP with no engine assisted brake IE Jake brake or the Caterpillar brake saver which was little more than a huge turbine type torque converter running off of the massive oil pump in the engine. the smart policy was to descend the hill in 1 gear lower than the one you reached the top in. on mountain passes like Cabbage in Oregon still today there are huge signs depicting the maximum safe speed to descend for a given vehicle weight. it the sign says you should be doing 18 MPH You really need to be doing 18 MPH when you pass that last warning sign. Even if you have the latest greatest engine braking available you are still going to have to be on the brakes much of the way down. And now so many places restrict the use of engine braking because they feel the noise offends the local residents. Bluff Utah prohibits engine exhaust brakes because they are afraid the sound echoing off the cliff walls might dislodge the balanced rock on the spire there. Towns and cities in the flat lands impose these restrictions as a means to enhance their muni coffers.
    Those runaway truck ramps are a very last ditch safety measure if you are already in that much trouble get ready to be brought to an abrupt halt many of them have loose gravel that is very deep as much as 4 or 5 feet deep but some are just long and steep like the one in the video. I've never seen evidence of a truck making it that far in one so this guy must have been really moving when he entered and remained standing on the power as a staged event. If so I bet the fine he paid and the tow bill came close to the NTL debt by comparison. Yes entering one of these safety runaway ramps intentionally is illegal everywhere.
    in australia you get fined for using the runaway ramps

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to macka For This Useful Post:

    Drew1966 (05-09-2019)

  9. #6
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hinchinbrook QLD
    Posts
    260
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 95 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    ..... this guy must have been really moving when he entered and remained standing on the power as a staged event. .....
    There are black marks on the bitumen and blue tire smoke at the start of the clip. But thats not to say he still didnt stage it

  10. #7
    Supporting Member Frank S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Peacock TX
    Posts
    4,636
    Thanks
    702
    Thanked 3,723 Times in 1,872 Posts

    Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    There are black marks on the bitumen and blue tire smoke at the start of the clip. But thats not to say he still didnt stage it
    Its highly possible, too difficult to call, there is a significant amount of smoke prior to the vehicle entering the ramp. The smoke could be from the brakes as well which would be aa trigger for someone to video the event. As far as any marks on the road surface those could have been there for quite a while. Plus not all ramps are constructed the same that one is longer than many nd may depend largely on the rise in elevation and length to expel the kinetic energy. One thing is a given though to retrieve the vehicle someone was going to have to pay out a large sum of money not as large as it would have been had the ramp not been there
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use [url]http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/[/url]

  11. #8
    Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    16,843
    Thanks
    4,035
    Thanked 17,248 Times in 5,054 Posts
    Homemade Tools Supporters Forum
    Tool plans, build guides, ebooks, and more.

    Click here to become a supporter

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

    baja (05-10-2019), hansgoudzwaard (05-09-2019), Scotsman Hosie (05-09-2019), Seedtick (05-09-2019)

  13. #9
    Supporting Member Frank S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Peacock TX
    Posts
    4,636
    Thanks
    702
    Thanked 3,723 Times in 1,872 Posts

    Frank S's Tools
    forget to pop the yellow button much?
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use [url]http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/[/url]

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

    Scotsman Hosie (05-09-2019)

  15. #10
    Supporting Member Toolmaker51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    2,109
    Thanks
    3,690
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,008 Posts

    Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    forget to pop the yellow button much?
    Yes. Instead of tying a string around his finger, he lets the tractor roll a short distance.
    THAT reminder works every time.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

    Scotsman Hosie (05-09-2019)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •