Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tucker Combat Car - GIF and video

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

Tucker Combat Car - GIF and video

WWII Tucker armored car being put through its paces. The brainchild of American industrialist Preston Tucker was rejected by the U.S. Army. Nevertheless, the Army used Tucker's revolving turret design on bombers and vessels.

11:27 video:

Previously:

Volvo Arquus Scarabee armored vehicle - GIF
    1926 Vickers D3E1 armored vehicle - photo
    1917 Killen-Straight armored tractor - photos
    WWII armored field surgery trailer - photo
    SOUVIM-2 mine clearing vehicle - photo

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Floradawg (Jul 14, 2021), KustomsbyKent (Jul 16, 2021), NortonDommi (Jul 15, 2021), nova_robotics (Jul 14, 2021), sak778 (Jul 21, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Preston Tucker was another of those men who came up with so many innovative ideas at once that he posed a threat to other defense contractors. Just like later on when he came out with his automobile which was so far advanced compared to the rest of the cars the big players banded together to insure that he failed even resorting to sabotage. I'm sure the same thing probably happened with his combat car, another thing was the department of defense at the time probably could not see the need for it

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Frank S; Jul 14, 2021 at 08:21 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Altair (Jul 19, 2021), KustomsbyKent (Jul 14, 2021), Moby Duck (Jul 18, 2021), NortonDommi (Jul 15, 2021), nova_robotics (Jul 14, 2021), sak778 (Jul 21, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Preston Tucker was another of those men who came up with so many innovative ideas at once that he posed a threat to other defense contractors. Just like later on when he came out with his automobile which was so far advanced compared to the rest of the cars the big players banded together to insure that he failed even resorting to sabotage. I'm sure the same thing probably happened with his combat car, another thing was the department of defense at the time probably could not see the need for it
    I've found when dealing with similar governmental departments (Department of National Defence, Canadian Space Agency...) that there's insane levels of cronyism. They just all scratch each other's backs and hand out contracts to all their old army buddies. I haven't figured out how to break into that old boy's club yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I've found when dealing with similar governmental departments (Department of National Defence, Canadian Space Agency...) that there's insane levels of cronyism. They just all scratch each other's backs and hand out contracts to all their old army buddies. I haven't figured out how to break into that old boy's club yet.
    Cases of Cutty Sark, Chavis Regal, Baileys, old #7 , Crown Royal, Exotic imported cigars, paying for club memberships, Brief cases full of $100.00 bills, Hiring a well known popular lobbyist. Will be a start but still no guarantee.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Booze? Cigars? Not from me. We don't have a good business environment or the utility structure here - few machine shops - and less of those geared to short run work - larger cities not less than 65 miles away.
    So if approached, I'll expect gifts [and no one knows what I appreciate] and still be charged double.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

greenie's Tools
    Very strange, but when you look at the modern version, think Bushmaster vehicles, or their equivalent, then this fella was way advanced on the rest of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushma...bility_Vehicle

Supporting Member Skun Knuckles's Avatar
    Thanks

Skun Knuckles's Tools
    “Tucker:The man and his dream.” Is a movie starring Jeff Bridges, that in my humble opinion is worth watching. Preston Tucker was certainly a one of a kind, with some absolutely brilliant ideas, it’s a great shame he was treated the way he was, if not for short sighted bureaucracy he had the potential to change the face of industry in so many ways.
    When I was young and poor I learnt a trade, and after many years of hard work I’m not young anymore.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Skun Knuckles View Post
    “Tucker:The man and his dream.” Is a movie starring Jeff Bridges, that in my humble opinion is worth watching. Preston Tucker was certainly a one of a kind, with some absolutely brilliant ideas, it’s a great shame he was treated the way he was, if not for short sighted bureaucracy he had the potential to change the face of industry in so many ways.
    Doing this now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Just look at some of the military equipment and weaponry that our government did purchase back then and the truth becomes evident. Probably thousands of good inventions and innovations were summarily dismissed because of malignant cronyism.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tlnixon For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2022)

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    I watched the movie Tucker tonight and thought it was a good movie, thank you Skun

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information