Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Become a founding member: 500+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Tucker Combat Car - GIF and video

  1. #1
    Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,638
    Thanks
    884
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 3,425 Posts

    Tucker Combat Car - GIF and video

    WWII Tucker armored car being put through its paces. The brainchild of American industrialist Preston Tucker was rejected by the U.S. Army. Nevertheless, the Army used Tucker's revolving turret design on bombers and vessels.



    11:27 video:



    Previously:

    Volvo Arquus Scarabee armored vehicle - GIF
    1926 Vickers D3E1 armored vehicle - photo
    1917 Killen-Straight armored tractor - photos
    WWII armored field surgery trailer - photo
    SOUVIM-2 mine clearing vehicle - photo

    173 Best Homemade Tools eBook

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

    Floradawg (Jul 14, 2021), KustomsbyKent (Jul 16, 2021), NortonDommi (Jul 15, 2021), nova_robotics (Jul 14, 2021), sak778 (Jul 21, 2021)

  3. #2
    Supporting Member Frank S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Peacock TX
    Posts
    7,131
    Thanks
    907
    Thanked 5,624 Times in 2,684 Posts

    Frank S's Tools
    Preston Tucker was another of those men who came up with so many innovative ideas at once that he posed a threat to other defense contractors. Just like later on when he came out with his automobile which was so far advanced compared to the rest of the cars the big players banded together to insure that he failed even resorting to sabotage. I'm sure the same thing probably happened with his combat car, another thing was the department of defense at the time probably could not see the need for it
    Last edited by Frank S; Jul 14, 2021 at 08:21 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

    Altair (Jul 19, 2021), KustomsbyKent (Jul 14, 2021), Moby Duck (Jul 18, 2021), NortonDommi (Jul 15, 2021), nova_robotics (Jul 14, 2021), sak778 (Jul 21, 2021)

  5. #3
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    560
    Thanks
    2,203
    Thanked 172 Times in 115 Posts

    nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Preston Tucker was another of those men who came up with so many innovative ideas at once that he posed a threat to other defense contractors. Just like later on when he came out with his automobile which was so far advanced compared to the rest of the cars the big players banded together to insure that he failed even resorting to sabotage. I'm sure the same thing probably happened with his combat car, another thing was the department of defense at the time probably could not see the need for it
    I've found when dealing with similar governmental departments (Department of National Defence, Canadian Space Agency...) that there's insane levels of cronyism. They just all scratch each other's backs and hand out contracts to all their old army buddies. I haven't figured out how to break into that old boy's club yet.

  6. #4
    Supporting Member Frank S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Peacock TX
    Posts
    7,131
    Thanks
    907
    Thanked 5,624 Times in 2,684 Posts

    Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I've found when dealing with similar governmental departments (Department of National Defence, Canadian Space Agency...) that there's insane levels of cronyism. They just all scratch each other's backs and hand out contracts to all their old army buddies. I haven't figured out how to break into that old boy's club yet.
    Cases of Cutty Sark, Chavis Regal, Baileys, old #7 , Crown Royal, Exotic imported cigars, paying for club memberships, Brief cases full of $100.00 bills, Hiring a well known popular lobbyist. Will be a start but still no guarantee.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/

  7. #5
    Supporting Member Toolmaker51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    3,576
    Thanks
    5,532
    Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,418 Posts

    Toolmaker51's Tools
    Booze? Cigars? Not from me. We don't have a good business environment or the utility structure here - few machine shops - and less of those geared to short run work - larger cities not less than 65 miles away.
    So if approached, I'll expect gifts [and no one knows what I appreciate] and still be charged double.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

  8. #6
    greenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 65 Times in 34 Posts

    greenie's Tools
    Very strange, but when you look at the modern version, think Bushmaster vehicles, or their equivalent, then this fella was way advanced on the rest of the world.


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushma...bility_Vehicle

  9. #7
    Supporting Member Skun Knuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Gippsland Victoria Australia
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts

    Skun Knuckles's Tools
    “Tucker:The man and his dream.” Is a movie starring Jeff Bridges, that in my humble opinion is worth watching. Preston Tucker was certainly a one of a kind, with some absolutely brilliant ideas, it’s a great shame he was treated the way he was, if not for short sighted bureaucracy he had the potential to change the face of industry in so many ways.
    When I was young and poor I learnt a trade, and after many years of hard work Iím not young anymore.

  10. #8
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    560
    Thanks
    2,203
    Thanked 172 Times in 115 Posts

    nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Skun Knuckles View Post
    “Tucker:The man and his dream.” Is a movie starring Jeff Bridges, that in my humble opinion is worth watching. Preston Tucker was certainly a one of a kind, with some absolutely brilliant ideas, it’s a great shame he was treated the way he was, if not for short sighted bureaucracy he had the potential to change the face of industry in so many ways.
    Doing this now. Thanks for the recommendation.

  11. #9
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Just look at some of the military equipment and weaponry that our government did purchase back then and the truth becomes evident. Probably thousands of good inventions and innovations were summarily dismissed because of malignant cronyism.



    173 Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •