Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Twisted PTO shaft - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,809 Times in 9,916 Posts

Twisted PTO shaft - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Aug 20, 2022), Scotty1 (Aug 21, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    flying too close to the ground with no gage wheel makes for a bad day

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    That is a mower windrower, without the cover. I have one of those - made by PZ Zweegers - here is a link to one for sale:

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...rage-equipment

It is meant to swing to the rear for transport and 90 to the right side to operate.

Now - if you swing it to the rear and turn the PTO on, you would get this guy's twisted driveline.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 21, 2022), Frank S (Aug 20, 2022), Inner (Aug 20, 2022)

Thanks

stillldoinit's Tools
    Local engine builder here Close to Buffalo showed me an oil pump shaft from a 302 out of a mustang that looks exactly like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    100 bucks for an adjustable PTO slip clutch sounds pretty cheap about now.

Twisted PTO shaft - GIF-screen-shot-2022-08-20-7.13.08-pm.png

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    That clutch wouldn't have helped the video guy, he locked up the U-joint...

I'll have to look at mine tomorrow, I don't remember if it has a clutch or shear pin. I'm going to guess shear pin on the pto shaft on the mower end.

In order for that clutch to work properly, every year you have to loosen the bolts and let it slip and then tighten the bolts a little (its in the manual). I think only two of my implements have clutches. For a mower like this, it might not have either because the drums can't catch on anything, the blades are all of about 3" long on pivots, and short of running the pto in transport mode, it doesn't need anything.

For the shear pin, what the guy in the video would do if the bolt kept snapping would be to put a nice hardened bolt in there so that pesky bolt wouldn't snap and make you have to stop and change it.

Supporting Member thevillageinn's Avatar
    Thanks

thevillageinn's Tools
    Somehow turned the shaft into the weakest link. Not the cheapest weak link but that’s what happens sometimes.

Thanks
    Is that "twist" something that happened over time or is is a sudden result?

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_3000 View Post
    Is that "twist" something that happened over time or is is a sudden result?
    That would be a sudden twist.

If you look at the PTO shaft, it is possible that the shaft was wadded and then they cut off the outer tube a little so they could keep using it. That straight part on the inner shaft looks about the right amount for when it is put back in mow mode.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJohn View Post
    That clutch wouldn't have helped the video guy, he locked up the U-joint...

I'll have to look at mine tomorrow, I don't remember if it has a clutch or shear pin. I'm going to guess shear pin on the pto shaft on the mower end.

In order for that clutch to work properly, every year you have to loosen the bolts and let it slip and then tighten the bolts a little (its in the manual). I think only two of my implements have clutches. For a mower like this, it might not have either because the drums can't catch on anything, the blades are all of about 3" long on pivots, and short of running the pto in transport mode, it doesn't need anything.

For the shear pin, what the guy in the video would do if the bolt kept snapping would be to put a nice hardened bolt in there so that pesky bolt wouldn't snap and make you have to stop and change it.
    PTO shaft locked up, clutch should have slipped. The PTO clutch most certainly would have saved that shaft. That is exactly what it is for.

I bet the manual for his tractor also tells when to change oil, when to adjust valves, how often to grease the fittings, check the brakes, change coolant, and any number of other critical items.

If you are going to run a piece of equipment, you need to either take care of it with regular maintenance, or repair it. It is cheaper, and SAFER to do the maintenance. You never save money neglecting maintenance.

Equipment VERY SELDOM fails when you are not using it. The lack of maintenance, almost exclusively, makes its appearance when you don't have time or the parts for a repair. If that shaft was on his bailer, and got twisted when he was racing the rain to get that hay of of the field into his barn, all that nice hay would be ruined.

The mowers can and DO get things jammed between the cutter heads. Most of them have multiple cutter head. I have worked on them with up to 8 heads. Each head turns in opposite its neighbor. They will jamb up on a log or rock, any number of ways to jamb up the works. If your tractor has more horsepower than the equipment is rated for, you should have a clutch.

I am thinking it might take about 15 minutes to loosen 8 bolts, give the clutch a good spin, and tighten the 8 bolts. How long do you suppose it will take to drive to get a new shaft, and how much will that cost? While he is at it, may as well put in a new U-Joint as he probably never greased that either.

That greasy spot on the shaft is exposed because the shaft got SHORTER when it twisted.
    Last edited by hemmjo; Aug 21, 2022 at 11:41 AM.

Thread Information