Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Un-bucket tool bag

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Un-bucket tool bag

First an apology.
    Everyone visualizes anyone claiming title Toolmaker; busy grinding out indexers, fixtures, and all manner of complicated projects on a continual basis. Nor in waistcoat, bowler, and bow-tie anymore. Whichever generation allowed image of Toolmaker's to degrade, certainly deserves a sound thrashing.
    Sorry!
    Practical side of life dictates my endeavors lately, certainly well before teaming up with HMT.net. Never-the-less, being productive, self reliant, and reaping small benefits is still progress. Many will know what I work on is getting the building to run.
    And if I can, entertain our HMT family on occasion. Like, what makes PJ's wand light up? Telepathic postings!
    So this morning, it's Toolmakers new little helper. The other one still a-sleeping.
    This commercial tool bag is sized for 3 gallon buckets. In my mind, 5 gallon size too deep for this. Heck, I'm only 5'7''.
    I like the bags; lesser thrilled with buckets. Getting ready to go aloft (scaffolds for hardware and 14' double ladder for me) to pre-wire incandescent lighting; needs specific group of hand tools at the ready. So, here's my solution. Handy as C-Bag's shirt pocket.
    1st thing is to be able to shoulder it - the climb is vertical! The ledges keep tools from poking your side. Used spare strap from laptop case; not euro shoulder bag! 99% of the time I'm there alone- Safety First! Not paranoid OSHA version, just common sense and experience, which of course is their downfall.
    2nd, all the pockets remain accessible. It opens when set down, closes partially when raised. Two short lengths of jack chain restrain spread of the feet, otherwise could eject bag up and off. Fail! No rubber donuts or nylon skids. Nylon would be choice for counter-tops though.
    3rd, needs stability, no interest dumping $180+ 15 feet even once. Again, I'd rather acquire additional tools, not replacements.
    Drill motor, extension cords, walkie-talkie, digi-cam, drinking water, hardware/ fittings ride the Otis freight elevator. Well, clevis, pulley, clothesline and bucket, that is. Even wrote Otis on the bucket too, not one seen it gets the joke.
    Un-bucket tool bag-non-bucket-bag.jpgUn-bucket tool bag-100_3666.jpg
    FLASH: In next couple days, will post stunningly creative pedestal created for the Roper-Whitney #17 punch. Why drill holes in sheet metal when you can pop 'em?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 31, 2019), Beserkleyboy (Aug 30, 2019), C-Bag (Jul 25, 2016), Jon (Jul 25, 2016), Paul Jones (Jul 29, 2016), PJs (Jul 25, 2016), rendoman (Jul 26, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Nice one TM51! Wand Lit! LOL, your write up reminds me of Heinlein's saying about: "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog...." We all got to be able to take care of all kinds of things! I use totes quite a bit and think they are like my wife's purse...always too full and heavy enough to make you walk in circles. But that said a good design is worth the Weight! Nice! Like the computer bag shoulder strap idea...I save all those things and rarely use them except on trips. I'll have to post my Oxy/Map gas tote one of these days made from scrap acrylic...but doubt if it would survive a 15' drop.

Thanks for Sharing and the grins! ~PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 25, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    LOL T51. I don't know about the rest of the folks here but actual tool and die makers are as mythical as the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus in my direct experience. So mythical as to lost in the mists of time and I have no idea what one actually looks like, much less wears. I think we all feel like toolmakers and it would be interesting to see how many actually do it for a living besides you. Just out of curiosity, when you registered did you take Toolmaker51 because 1 through 50 were already taken.? Inquiring minds and all that...

I've never been a big fan of those bucket pouches. They have always been a near miss. And mostly because of the bucket when I think of it. And the thought of wrestling one of those up a ladder.....double fail. I will do anything not to work on a ladder as they are so limited in their reach and I'm even more vertically challenged that you are. As scary as scaffolds are with their inherent wobbliness I'll go with that over a ladder just because there's someplace to put tools and covers more area.

I like your setup much better but several years ago I saw I think in Lowes they were selling tool bags of varied sizes that remind me of the old Doctor bags with pockets and a reinforced opening. I use them for everything now even for a small kit for overnight travel.

That's a nice stand you came up with, much better than a bucket! Two thumbs up.

<psssssst, what's Otis?>

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 25, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Jul 25, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    <psssssst, what's Otis?>
    He's kind of like Mater but an elevator...sorry, couldn't help myself. ~PJ
    Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 25, 2016)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    PJs says ''sorry, couldn't help myself''.
    Neither could I.
    Un-bucket tool bag-mater-otis.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 25, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    LOL....Wooob, woob, woob, woob.
    Mark Twain

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations Toolmaker51 - your Un-Bucket Tool Bag is the Tool of the Week!

This was an exceptionally tough week to choose a winner. We had a couple of nice milling entries, plus multiple clever and simple "why didn't I think of that?" tools posted (mklotz's Deep Throat Calipers and rgsparber's Valve Cap Tool specifically come to mind), but this one really stands out, especially if you've ever struggled to handle tools on a ladder (which I imagine is everyone here).

I've moved this thread from the Tips and Tricks subforum to the main Homemade Tools subforum, and we'll get it added to the encyclopedia.

You'll be receiving one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts:

Un-bucket tool bag-white-tshirt-front.jpgUn-bucket tool bag-white-tshirt-back.jpg
    Un-bucket tool bag-black-tshirt-front.jpgUn-bucket tool bag-black-tshirt-back.jpg

Please PM me a mailing address, black/white color choice, and size preference, and I'll get it mailed out shortly.

And, we've added the wrench-on-pedestal award to the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

Congrats again and well done!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 29, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools

Congrats Toolmaker51! As my G-pa used to say, we're proud for ya son.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 29, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Jul 29, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Toolmaker51! We've added your Tool Bag to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Toolmaker51's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    re: C-Bag's curiosity "...did you take Toolmaker51 because 1 through 50 were already taken.? Inquiring minds and all that..."
    It's my ebay ID, and kind of my 'brand'. As to 1 through 50, some were taken, but mostly I was 51yo at the time. Had a good ring to it. And in one way, 51 ever since.
    I intended to answer long ago. Couldn't find it.

I had considered the doctor bag style too. Yet, they don't present tools as openly as this.

<psssssst, what's Otis?>[/QUOTE] I still laugh about PJs response.

Thanks to Jon and his fellow administrators for the nomination and prize. It will be worn; as advertisement for HMT as a whole, and opener on tool discussions.
    Plus d1 & d2 will be informed it is not I who is ''tool of the week'' nor a ''tool of the weak''
    lol.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Aug 6, 2016 at 06:45 PM. Reason: a bow to my friends, again
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Aug 6, 2016)

Thread Information