Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Underwater pipe and pile cutter - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    They have been cutting granite tomb stones for years like this. Diamond or Carborundum slurry with a twisted blade. By the way, Frank, I'll bet you even have a black belt in Karate. Am I right?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by owen moore View Post
    They have been cutting granite tomb stones for years like this. Diamond or Carborundum slurry with a twisted blade. By the way, Frank, I'll bet you even have a black belt in Karate. Am I right?
    No I never put much stock in the martial arts a half crazed street fighter can defeat most who are trained in one form or another The Russian Systema would be about the only guarantee to be able to overpower a crazed fighter most every time. So my philosophy is why bother bringing a fist or a foot to a gun fight shoot first and shoot often

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Aug 20, 2020)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    That a boy Frank lol

Man after my own heart
    I do think Exocet takes some beating though, just take out the whole fight. Like swatting fly's with an atom bomb.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Im reading "how to win friends and influence people" man what an intense book (its audio 7 Hrs and 20 mins). I gained a great deal from it, get on with somthing else and better spend ones time. Its a bit colonial at the start. But Positive thinking, so no more Mr nasty grumpy guy from me.
    Still to follow on from my last very positive comment. round em up, shoot them all and let god sort them out. This is of course positive, i did not insinuate that the devil should sort them out. See the books working already, just another 5 hours to go.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Back on topic
    I started my offshore career on this project

https://www.offshore-mag.com/subsea/...ine-connectors

when i find some images i will add them, a really impressive piece of kit.

A guy on our team was into electronics and building all sorts of gadgets, I cant remember the guys name for the life of me.
    He was currently working on fitting hand controls to his cars steering wheel - A very influential person in what was to be my future development (Tony ?)

The engineer in charge of the DMaC was Duggie Duncan
    I upset him by being young and stupid and pointing out that his baby was not built to spec. They had fitted rams and the grease nipples on the knuckles were underneath, the knuckle has housed back in a section of angle - not a cat in hell's chance of greasing the knuckles. That started my perfectionist attitude towards other engineering blunders. A skill STEM will never teach, in order to be a damn good engineer you need years of exposure to all its disciplines.

I did manage to pull up Fugro management once. In the project documentation of a Fugro project there was around 20 big A4 folders covering all aspects of the subsea project we were about to commence. There was a pre project meeting and they went through the files and all aspects of what we were going to do. The critical factor was the weather/working limits. Some squeeky gobby little git couldnt hold it in any more and had to point out that the whole section on weather limits was missing from the files. Hey i dont need a degree to be this anal. Incidently this is when i realised the difference between a clever degree and one handed out on a toffee paper.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Aug 20, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    Im reading "how to win friends and influence people" man what an intense book (its audio 7 Hrs and 20 mins). I gained a great deal from it, get on with somthing else and better spend ones time. Its a bit colonial at the start. But Positive thinking, so no more Mr nasty grumpy guy from me.
    Still to follow on from my last very positive comment. round em up, shoot them all and let god sort them out. This is of course positive, i did not insinuate that the devil should sort them out. See the books working already, just another 5 hours to go.
    I've always had the saying kill-em all but the 9 1 gravedigger 1 mortician 1 padre and 6 paul bearers, and a war is never over until there is only 1 left on the opposite side to record it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Aug 20, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    Back on topic
    I started my offshore career on this project

https://www.offshore-mag.com/subsea/...ine-connectors

That started my perfectionist attitude towards other engineering blunders. A skill STEM will never teach, in order to be a damn good engineer you need years of exposure to all its disciplines.

I did manage to pull up Fugro management once. In the project documentation of a Fugro project there was around 20 big A4 folders covering all aspects of the subsea project we were about to commence. There was a pre project meeting and they went through the files and all aspects of what we were going to do. The critical factor was the weather/working limits. Some squeeky gobby little git couldnt hold it in any more and had to point out that the whole section on weather limits was missing from the files. Hey i dont need a degree to be this anal. Incidently this is when i realised the difference between a clever degree and one handed out on a toffee paper.
    That reminds me of when we were having a pre project conflab to access whos company was going to cover which scope of the project on a 120,000 cubic meter cold storage building. For the most part I sat that mostly disinterested in the whole meeting Since there were representatives and engineers from several countries English was always the preferred language for these conferences. As we slowly scrolled through the many construction phases I kept my mouth shut through the civil work and the faults I thought I noticed then held my tongue through the steel structure since I knew our company was not at the time in position to produce the amount of steel fabrication required so on and on the meeting went through the many phases until we got to the part I knew my company was vying to compete for my company's owner and our other engineers hadn't spoken up about the many discrepancies in the plans do when they started talking about adding standard sized walk through doors way up 10 meters from the floor for access to the refrigeration and circulation units and no one from any company had brought up the fault with this I finally had enough
    Now we have a problem I said. I have sat here for 4 hours trying to wait and see if any of you engineers and professionals in your fields were ever going to say something about all of the design flaws in your little project. I never spoke out during the discussion of the civil work even though this building will eventually leach cold into the ground until it becomes cold soaked Our water table in this area is but a few meters below the surface over time if your approved design is allowed to stand the moisture in the ground will freeze and cause the ground to heave I cited an instance of this in Sweden. I held back while the structure was being argued even though you are dead set on making this to be a single building you have the structure figured as 3 separate unites tied together only with the interior cold panels and yet the roofs are laid out more of a 2 building not 3 building configuration, you show the cold panels as being 2 150mm thick by 6 meter long panels stacked one on top of the other to achieve the 12 meter height when I know where I can have 12 meter long panels made, and 200 mm thick would be far more efficient,every joint in panels is a potential cold leak. But the point I am bringing up right now is your proposal of doors to nowhere and their size you have them placed too far away from the units for a technician to service or replace them and no provisions for work platforms or safety railings also their size makes them stupidly expensive for no more than they will ever be utilized.
    The Dutch consulting engineer asked me, I replied in my poor German, industrail Design Engineering meine Lehre ist die Philosophie der Technik
    One of the Arab engineers asked what had been said the Consultant said I asked him what his field was
    from then on I was called the big engineer and the whole set of plans were gone over again and again until over a Million dollars worth of waste was discovered and corrected, it took me finally speaking out to cause the others to grow a pair and our company wound up with many more aspects of the project than we had set out to bid for.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Aug 20, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Aug 20, 2020)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Tops.
    stick it to em.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information