Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Unlocking locks with a lockpick gun - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,702 Times in 9,869 Posts

Unlocking locks with a lockpick gun - GIF

Unlocking pin tumbler locks with a lockpick gun.

Previously:

Breaking a lock with two wrenches - GIF
    Fire truck garage doors and warning lights - GIF and video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 30, 2019), KustomsbyKent (Jan 31, 2019), Moby Duck (Jan 30, 2019), Okapi (Jan 31, 2019), PJs (Jan 29, 2019), Rangi (Mar 7, 2020), Saxon Violence (Feb 1, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 29, 2019), that_other_guy (Jan 29, 2019)

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Thanks, it's a proof if needed why we use modern barrels on our locks at workshop and home, but never forget your key or loose it, it's make really a problem…
    ps. I'm making some advertisement for the locks safe you can put somewhere in your house.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Unfortunately this type of combination key safe is not very secure and easily picked with a simple tool. Also they are usually made of cast alloy which can be broken with a hammer. A tenant fitted one of those to a landlords property and I was asked to remove it, not having the combination I picked it in under three mins with nothing more than a ground down feeler gauge. It is also advisable to check with your insurers as some deem it not to be a break in if the thief has obtained a key. Apologies if this sounds a bit negative but better safe than sorry and no did not have a misspent youth it just that mechanisms have always been of interest to me.

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Unfortunately this type of combination key safe is not very secure and easily picked with a simple tool. Also they are usually made of cast alloy which can be broken with a hammer. A tenant fitted one of those to a landlords property and I was asked to remove it, not having the combination I picked it in under three mins with nothing more than a ground down feeler gauge. It is also advisable to check with your insurers as some deem it not to be a break in if the thief has obtained a key. Apologies if this sounds a bit negative but better safe than sorry and no did not have a misspent youth it just that mechanisms have always been of interest to me.
    The type of lock on the video can be opened in seconds with two open flat keys for bolts, we learn that in the army to open fast and without noise this type of locks, the bigger ones needs the 16-17 and 18-19 key or an adjustable key and another flat steel tool like the military knife and making a lever it opens instantly by broken the body.

Thanks
    The lock is only as secure as the manufacturer wants it to be. There are techniques that can be used in the pins which make a lock almost unpickable. Even round "vending machine locks can be easily picked as well. In my previous days as a cop, locksmithing was one thing I studied on my own time. I assisted with opening locks for search warrants etc. so that the cops didn't have to break down the door. Occasionally someone would get locked out of a file cabinet(frequently), a desk, or an office and I was able to assist as well. I used to buy old locks at garage sales and practice picking them open. A pick gun is a great tool I used mine quite a lot.
    Last edited by VinnieL; Feb 3, 2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Have you make some training with this system ?Unlocking locks with a lockpick gun - GIF-schnittbild-kaba-star-cross-zylinder-jpg-data.jpg
    It's the most used on good doors make with a sufficient protection of the cylinder against grip, which is their major fragility if they are mounted by a bad worker.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information