Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Variable speed beltsander

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools

Variable speed beltsander

This is my variable speed belt sander created by combining a lathe headstock with a multi tool belt sander. The sander is held using threaded rod studs, it was only meant to be a proof on concept before turning a proper ring on the metal lathe but it's so solid and works so well I never changed it. RPM's are adjustable from 500-2000, it's a great tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Variable speed beltsander-img_20180327_144021.jpg   Variable speed beltsander-img_20180327_144029.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rorschach For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Mar 28, 2018), Beserkleyboy (Aug 13, 2018), blkadder (Mar 27, 2018), Jon (Mar 27, 2018), JRock (Mar 27, 2018), Komo (Apr 20, 2018), Moby Duck (Dec 14, 2018), PJs (Mar 28, 2018), rlm98253 (Mar 27, 2018), rossbotics (Mar 27, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Aug 13, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    This is my variable speed belt sander created by combining a lathe headstock with a multi tool belt sander. The sander is held using threaded rod studs, it was only meant to be a proof on concept before turning a proper ring on the metal lathe but it's so solid and works so well I never changed it. RPM's are adjustable from 500-2000, it's a great tool.
    Hi,
    Where did you get the Lathe Headstock ? I think I could use one of those. Please email me, banjo tom (at) hot mail (dot) com

Thanks,
    Tom

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BanjoTom View Post
    Hi,
    Where did you get the Lathe Headstock ? I think I could use one of those. Please email me, banjo tom (at) hot mail (dot) com

Thanks,
    Tom
    Depending where you are you could contact suppliers of similar machine tools. I cannot say for definite though, I bought mine on ebay, a chance spot for a local pick up item, it was cheap, no-one bid because of the collection only. I thought it might be useful and it was!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rorschach For This Useful Post:

PJs (Mar 28, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Rorschach! We've added your Variable Speed Belt Sander to our Sanding category,
    as well as to your builder page: Rorschach's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    By "multi tool belt sander" do you mean a Shopsmith add-on?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Komo View Post
    By "multi tool belt sander" do you mean a Shopsmith add-on?
    No it's an (Australian made I believe) attachment designed to go on bench grinders.

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Ha ha! Small world...Here's mine in 4". Bought with 8" grinder for $300 complete in 2003....now the attachment alone is about $400....very useful, standard 36 x 4 belt and 7" disc. Quiet strong induction motor, will go all day...
    Variable speed beltsander-grinder.jpg
    Variable speed beltsander-multitool-attach.jpg

Jim in Sunny South Coast NSW, Australia
    Last edited by Beserkleyboy; Aug 13, 2018 at 06:55 PM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Aug 13, 2018), Jon (Aug 14, 2018), Komo (Aug 13, 2018), ranald (Aug 15, 2018), rlm98253 (Aug 13, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Aug 13, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    While I don't find the 2" version limiting, I wish I had bought a 4" version, after all you can always run a smaller belt on the larger machine, but not the other way around.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rorschach For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Aug 14, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    How often do you use it Jim? Have you had to replace the bearings on the grinder?
    Looks much like my original purchase of a 1990 (model 48214), 2" one made by Linishall P/L fitted to an 8" GMF (Sydney) bench model . I had a 6" linisher & was concerned re bearings etc so bought the smaller size for bench work. I had a young guy working for me in mid nineties & had no work for him (in Winter) so set him to a days work sharpening tractor mower blades to help him out. I had many contracted parks on sand (at the beach) :the sand blasting played havoc with the blades and the whole mowing decks..What I required was- the blades ground on the grinder wheel side & then tip sharpened on the linisher side. The enthaustic youth enquired about the Ausie grinder & I told him it "was bullet proof" and would go all day (unlike my cheap Tormek). Upon my return He proudly advised the 1970's grinder was not bullet proof as he had managed to stop it more than a couple of times. So "you actually tried to stop it?" I asked. "Yeah, you said it was bullet proof & I had to find out....".SOME MOTHERS DO HAVE 'EM! I kept that one for staff & purchased another Ausie linisher for my own use.Both still go well. The newer grinder is not a patch on the GMF & the new linisher is not branded though I do have paperwork for it somewhere.

Cheers & thanks for posting

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    unless it is a makita (bit of a side step, to a portable--sorry)LOL

Thread Information