Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Very easy surface rust remover for chrome

Thanks

astroracer's Tools

Very easy surface rust remover for chrome

My wife picked up a couple of Wassily chairs at an antique mall a while ago. Chrome and leather. The leather was old, brittle and broken and the chrome was covered with surface rust. We pulled one apart and took the leathers to a shop to have remade. While that was being done I had to get the chrome cleaned up enough to be passible.
    I had heard and saw on YouTube about using Coke and aluminum foil to clean rust off chrome so I decided to give it a shot. I used metal cleaner in place of the Coke but it worked like a charm and you would never know how badly these chairs were rusted.
    A couple pics of the rust.

What I used to clean it off. Cheap Dollar Store aluminum foil and Eagle metal Cleaner. I would imagine ANY cleaner or polish would work.

Continued...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jun 27, 2020), EnginePaul (Apr 23, 2018), Moby Duck (Apr 21, 2018), Paul Jones (Jun 1, 2016)

Thanks

astroracer's Tools
    Getting to it. I used just a little cleaner on the ball of foil. Just enough to lube the foil.
    After a few seconds of scrubbing. All that's left is the real heavy stuff.
    This took some work to get off BUT, it came off and left the chrome sparkling!

Working on the rest of the frame.

Continued...

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jun 27, 2020), aphilipmarcou (Feb 26, 2017), baja (Oct 18, 2022), Duke_of_URL (Jun 26, 2020), lassab999 (Oct 17, 2022), Paul Jones (Jun 1, 2016), scoopydo (Jun 1, 2016), thehomeengineer (Apr 25, 2018)

Thanks

astroracer's Tools
    Compare. before and after.

The frames all cleaned up. This took a couple of hours but it was well worth it.

The new leathers. The gentleman who made these used bridle leather. they look great!

The "new" chairs all assembled and ready to go.

Mark
    Along with "devil cat" in the background...

6. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jun 27, 2020), aussie (Jun 27, 2020), baja (Jun 27, 2020), bigtrev8xl (Apr 22, 2018), C-Bag (May 29, 2016), Gabe (Aug 10, 2016), gunsgt1863 (Apr 22, 2018), Jon (May 30, 2016), lassab999 (Oct 17, 2022), lazarus (May 30, 2016), oldcaptainrusty (Apr 21, 2018), petethejuicefreak (Mar 1, 2019), PJs (May 30, 2016), ranald (Apr 21, 2018), Texf1 (Apr 23, 2018), thoms_here (Jun 1, 2016), Tonyg (Jun 27, 2020), Toolmaker51 (May 29, 2016), wolfpaak (Jun 27, 2020)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Looks great! Never heard the coke and aluminum foil thing before. Any theories why aluminum foil? I guess it's not obsorbent like a rag or a towel......but that's some thing I never would have thought to grab.

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Nice Job Mark!! Terrific find too. Came out Great and love those style chairs...last a long time and comfortable. I had heard of the coke and foil thing before but never tried it. Interesting to use of the chrome cleaner and foil.

Best thing I ever used was a rubber block, my dad had back when. Not sure what kind of rubber but was about 60 durometer as I remember and about an 1" square and ~4" long with a wedge at both ends (Parallelogram) to get in tight places. All you had to do was dip it in water and rub on the piece with it. A few strokes and it was beautiful. Used it a lot on bike pipes and spokes. Also got off road tar like hot butter! The old school yellow erasers work too. An extra fine Cratex stick will work on deeper stuff but will tend to scratch the chrome a bit.

Looks great! Never heard the coke and aluminum foil thing before. Any theories why aluminum foil? I guess it's not obsorbent like a rag or a towel......but that's some thing I never would have thought to grab.
    C-Bag: Could be the coke breaks down the foil to some form of ALO2 and the citric acids & carbonic acid (carbonated water - H2CO3) help lift the rust with some polishing.

Thanks for posting this. ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 1, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Aug 7, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks astroracer! We've added your Chrome Deruster to our Cleaning category,
    as well as to your builder page: astroracer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

A rusty thread...

Must be a chemical connection; especially with citric acid. The handcleaners with citric orange and mild abrasive work nicely this way. I get good results on grime what collects on machine tools - even on gun bluing, no hint of scratching. It wouldn't seem the abrasive is common pumice; Moh's scale is 6.0 near obsidian. Mohs Hardness Scale: Testing the Resistance to Being Scratched Can't hazard a guess on the foil. Rust is said to occupy 7x the volume of metal it displaced; explains why nuts freeze on a bolt, the two virtually bond. Rust breakers break down and convert or at least alter oxidation.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

oldcaptainrusty (Apr 21, 2018), Paul Jones (Aug 17, 2016), PJs (Sep 7, 2016)

Thanks

jotasierra's Tools
    Gracias Astroracer por tu aporte, a probar..

Thanks

astroracer's Tools
    You're welcome. De nada
    Mark

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Hi Mark, Just wanted to say thank you for the tip on Al Foil and Coke. Definitely works. I'm restoring an old Drill press (49'-51' King Seeley Craftsman) and the chrome pieces had some bad spots that nothing I had would touch them including Dad's old rubber block. I gave your technique a try and it worked darn good. There were still some rough spots when I got done so I hit them on the buffer with some green rouge. They still show but are flat and filled in now and think the spots are actually substrate for the chrome..should be OK now. The spots work ok me considering it's that vintage and had been sitting in a horse stall on the ground for several years...ran fine and strong when I tested it before I got it. Here are some before and after shots of the chrome stuff. Please forgive the rough C-phone shots.

Very easy surface rust remover for chrome-small-chrome-parts-_original_web.jpg Very easy surface rust remover for chrome-2016-11-18_18.27.41.jpg

Thanks again, great technique! ~PJ
    Last edited by PJs; Nov 19, 2016 at 11:40 AM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Jun 27, 2020)

Thread Information