Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vibrating wheel hub puller - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Heating the outer component makes it expand as you say but its inner diameter expands away from the centre not towards it. If the hole expanded inward and the outside expanded outward as you propose then there would have to be a ring between those two extremes that did not expand. This is not the reality.
    As a mathematician* your description really appeals to me. It is the mechanical example of the Intermediate Value Theorem...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interm..._value_theorem

from which this quote...

"In mathematical analysis, the intermediate value theorem states that if f is a continuous function whose domain contains the interval [a, b], then it takes on any given value between f (a) and f (b) at some point within the interval."

--
    * OK, I'm not really a mathematician. My degrees all say 'physics' on them but, when you study physics, you automatically get deeply involved with mathematics. I enjoy math and have continued learning about it long after leaving school.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Vibrating wheel hub puller.
    As noted in a previous post, the vibrations were from the Pneumatic Impact Wrench being used to turn the tension screw on the puller. In this application, the hub assembly is able to twist in response to the wrench impacts. Any additional torque the impact might provide is lost by moving the entire spindle/hub/puller assembly.

The effect is similar to trying to drive a nail into a board that moves with every stoke. Most of the energy that should be driving the nail is used up moving the board instead. Just a fraction is used actually driving the nail.

A better way to remove a stuck hub, is to tension the puller with with just a normal wrench. In this situation you apply more torque than with the impact wrench. Then use a pneumatic HAMMER on the center screw of the puller to induce linear vibrations that will actually act in a manner to pull the hub from the shaft.

If you do much of this kind of work, you need a pneumatic hammer.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    I used to repair Salsbury axles on Scimitars and the method which worked every time was to pour two kettles of boiling water over the hub which would then fall of the taper with a couple of blows of a copper mallet. Trick is to expand the hub before the heat gets to the shaft. Hydraulic puller methods can be a bit scary when they let go.
    Thankfully I never had to do anything on my Scimi's axles (2x SE5, 1 x SE5a, 1 x SE6) but my 20lb slide-hammer was favoured for other vehicles.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NeiljohnUK For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Oct 11, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NeiljohnUK View Post
    Thankfully I never had to do anything on my Scimi's axles (2x SE5, 1 x SE5a, 1 x SE6) but my 20lb slide-hammer was favoured for other vehicles.
    I owned 1x SE5A, 1xSE5 and a straight 6 Coupe. All had growly diffs so needed rebuilds, quiet as a church mouse afterwards. Also all fitted with Granada 5 speed boxes, great fun to drive but the old Essex is too thirsty these days.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    I owned 1x SE5A, 1xSE5 and a straight 6 Coupe. All had growly diffs so needed rebuilds, quiet as a church mouse afterwards. Also all fitted with Granada 5 speed boxes, great fun to drive but the old Essex is too thirsty these days.
    Thirst wasn't such an issue then, had a set of triple DCNF's on a 3 litre Essex, https://www.webcon.co.uk/products/10...-carburettors/ those are thirsty!
    I gather there's even a manifold for the Colone V6 for DCNF's now https://www.webcon.co.uk/products/16...-carburettors/ .
    We also bolted a set of six IDF's onto a Jag v12 to improve the limited performance the fuel injection system caused, if thirst is what you want those are pretty good! https://www.webcon.co.uk/products/10...6-x-weber-idf/

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by NeiljohnUK; Oct 11, 2022 at 08:41 AM.

Thread Information