Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    (clipped) We don't actually metabolize elemmental lead or mercury very well. (still does' mean I'll breathe in molten lead fumes or drink elemental mercury
    :-)
    ..... ....
    And of us older than 26 (leaded gasoline was banned in '96) have been exposed to enough teratethyl lead to demonstrably affect our cognitive functions to some extent. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...tudy-rcna19028

And yes, that includes me. It's a sobering through. Generation Lead is a real thing, and it'a not just poor kids in ghettos.
    Unfortunately all metals "rust" so a block of lead will always have some oxides on it, and mercury metal converts to the more toxic form in nature by the action of bacteria.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Font is also used for Linotype/Intertype, Ludlow and other matrices used in linecasting or type casting equipment as well. Still, the fixed quantity of a particular typeface, weight and size pretty much applies.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Yes, it's interesting because the house I grew up in still is fed with a lead water pipe from the street mains and we suffered no ill effects from that. When the city came around and installed water meters on old houses that had been on a flat rate, I thought they would have a fit when they ran across that lead line. Nope, they had adapters to fit and never said a word. Recently the city has begun a program to replace all those old lead lines and apparently there are a lot of them still in use, more than I had imagined.

As I previously said about my daily exposure to Linotype, Ludlow and lead based type didn't show any lead in my system, but my father had elevated levels of lead from his jewelry store being on a main business avenue during the leaded gasoline era. Lead eventually "chelates", I believe is the term, out of the body unlike asbestos and some other toxins.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    And of us older than 26 (leaded gasoline was banned in '96) have been exposed to enough teratethyl lead to demonstrably affect our cognitive functions to some extent https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...tudy-rcna19028[/QOUTE]

Followed the science. Thought I discovered source of feeble politicians!

Quote Originally Posted by the harmonious blacksmith View Post
    ............snip........ Lead eventually "chelates", I believe is the term, out of the body unlike asbestos and some other toxins.
    Darn it all, there goes hypothesis.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Mar 12, 2022 at 05:05 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    And of us older than 26 (leaded gasoline was banned in '96) have been exposed to enough teratethyl lead to demonstrably affect our cognitive functions to some extent https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...tudy-rcna19028[/QOUTE]

Followed the science. Thought I discovered source of feeble politicians!

Darn it all, there goes hypothesis.
    The line of thinking that feeble Politian's were at one time exposed to excessive amounts of teratethyl lead as to the root cause of their failing cognitive abilities
    Would be to suggest at one time they may have been gearheads. Being somewhat of an older gearhead myself I know quite a few who are much older than I am, and like me most will profoundly acknowledge using leaded gasoline as their go to cleanser for all their mechanic work back in the day. So far as I know not very many career Politian's even know the difference between a screw driver and a pair of plier
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,781 Times in 11,320 Posts
    Workers lower a lifting device onto a 100-inch telescope mirror. Mount Wilson Observatory. California, 1935.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...s_fullsize.jpg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Mar 18, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

There are still a few in use

There are a few places (museums) that have kept various lead typesetters functional for demonstration purposes.
    I was recently in a up-cycle store that had an actual full type font storage cabinet (no type) the ones in large newspapers like this would have been had to be serviced with a rolling ladder.

Over the past 5 decades, many font job case drawers where scrapped and many of the 2" deep drawers were turned into wall mounted what-not displays.

The cases holding the drawers are categorized by font, size and upper and lower case letters. (upper case was on top, lower case on bottom.)
    You might imagine how many pieces were needed for a large edition newspaper.
    Linotype machines were extremely complex machines and had an enormous network of parts once described
    to me by a former newspaper typesetter as "a manual typewriter met a concert organ".

One of the downsides was working long-term with molten lead and it's fumes.

The dreaded fail of a typesetter was 'pieing'.
    The machine had a metal framed 'chase' which the metal mirror reversed type was placed in to have molten lead form the casting to mount in the printing press. Once the type was in place, it was locked into the chase with quoin locks which placed lateral pressure to the chase sides.
    There is no bottom. After the chase was full, it was locked and removed from the machine.
    If the type is not locked well or if one piece is askew, the entire set can be lost due to 'Pieing'. All of the metal hits the floor in thousands of pieces which have to be swept up, dusted off and re-cased into the correct font drawers and the typesetter starting over at the first letter.

The were a few makers of equipment, Merganthaler being the maker of 'Lino-Type' equipment and was market dominant.
    Another was Monotype. Monotype is still in business and largely produces intellectual property licensed as computer type fonts.
    Monotype bought out the Linotype catalog of fonts.
    Merganthaler proceeded into the early computer typesetting era and saw the transformation of most new typesetters were women.
    Merganthaler was purchased by and became a division of Heidelberg (printing press manufacturer.

Another common, smaller machine was made by Ludlow. They made smaller units that cast lead into type set by hand.
    These were single type line machines known as 'Headliners' and typically used for very large font sizes above 24 point type.

There are still shops turning out work on Ludlow machines for custom work. (expensive work)

Vintage work crew photos-ludlow-head-liner2.jpgVintage work crew photos-ludlow-head-liner1.jpg

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to techcollect For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Mar 14, 2022), jimfols (Mar 14, 2022), Jon (Mar 14, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Mar 14, 2022)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,781 Times in 11,320 Posts
    Mesta Machine Company foundry workers.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...s_fullsize.jpg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

jimfols (Mar 20, 2022), old_toolmaker (Mar 20, 2022)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    That is a heck of a complex casting.

Thanks
    Ive often wondered in old pics like this so disorginized everything juts how many relatively new guys are walking around wondering wft am I supposed to be doing??

Thread Information