Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 89 of 294 FirstFirst ... 39 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 139 189 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Factory workers put together parts for the RCA Victor black and white televisions on the assembly line in the RCA Camden (NJ) plant, circa 1946.
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...w_fullsize.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 27, 2019), Seedtick (Jul 26, 2019)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Perhaps not a work crew per se, but close enough for this beautiful photograph.

Members of the Boulder City Consulting Board and other officials standing in a section of pipe over the Hoover Dam, 1935.
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...s_fullsize.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Jul 31, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Perhaps not a work crew per se, but close enough for this beautiful photograph.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...s_fullsize.jpg

The one guy looks a bit squeamish at being photographed inside of a 36ft diameter section of pipe suspended over the canyon by a couple of cables attached to a winch which is also suspended by a series of cables anchored into the rock faces of the canyon.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Note the wire rope suspending pipe section. Judging by the men's heads, at least 4" diameter.
    My very first exposure to industry happened at Hoover Dam, way down in the turbine room, also where I saw my first serious lathe. Probably Monarch, American Tool Works, or Lodge & Shipley.
    I imagine it is still there and operative. A good case for preventative and regular maintenance; they sure won't get another one down there.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Jul 31, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Note the wire rope suspending pipe section. Judging by the men's heads, at least 4" diameter.
    My very first exposure to industry happened at Hoover Dam, way down in the turbine room, also where I saw my first serious lathe. Probably Monarch, American Tool Works, or Lodge & Shipley.
    I imagine it is still there and operative. A good case for preventative and regular maintenance; they sure won't get another one down there.
    You brought up an interesting point about the machines in the bowels of the Hoover dam. A lot of forethought and planning went into the construction of that dam much of it done on the fly so to speak. So many thousands of cubic yards of concrete being poured each and every day on a nonstop basis that cooling tubes and vapor evacuation systems had to be cast in place otherwise the concrete would have heated to the point that it would be impossible for it to ever stabilize and the curing process would begin and prevent it from cracking or even worst exploding, it is believed that some areas will not fully cure for another 100 years

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Jul 31, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jul 28, 2019)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Poulterer, Stranraer, Scotland. Late 1800s.
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...w_fullsize.jpg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 30, 2019), Seedtick (Jul 29, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Thread entry #880 "The Continental Salt Works" shot; last known example of printing photographic records on non-archival grade kitchen paper towels.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Poulterer, Stranraer, Scotland. Late 1800s. #886

The big thing around us at the present time is every farmer and wannabe landed gentry having a Pheasant shoot (sport).
    every Sunday during the season there shoot resembles this rack of birds, they go out and shoot hundreds of birds for the privilege of taking a brace home - 2 birds. All for the grand total of £2000 per shoot. That makes each of the two birds they are allowed to keep £1000 each. Would you guys pay that for a turkey on a turkey shoot. All the other birds are just dumped or left to rot. When you look at the UK's ban on fox hunting you get a fair idea why the public get pea-ed off with the wanabe Elite. There are four shoots within 10 miles of us, one is ran by my brother and nephew - pillocks.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 30, 2019), volodar (Aug 1, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    Poulterer, Stranraer, Scotland. Late 1800s. #886

The big thing around us at the present time is every farmer and wannabe landed gentry having a Pheasant shoot (sport).
    every Sunday during the season there shoot resembles this rack of birds, they go out and shoot hundreds of birds for the privilege of taking a brace home - 2 birds. All for the grand total of £2000 per shoot. That makes each of the two birds they are allowed to keep £1000 each. Would you guys pay that for a turkey on a turkey shoot. All the other birds are just dumped or left to rot. When you look at the UK's ban on fox hunting you get a fair idea why the public get pea-ed off with the wanabe Elite. There are four shoots within 10 miles of us, one is ran by my brother and nephew - pillocks.
    I have a strict rule against sport harvesting for the pure pleasure of expending a projectile down range. the 1000 per bird may be excessive but what is obscene is leaving a kill to rot when said harvest should be processed for consumption of someone less fortunate or has no willingness to spend that kind of money for a meal of such delectable flavor when properly prepared.
    I don't go to Turkey shoot either simply because I have no willingness to show off my shooting skills or lack there of if that be the case. I also don't participate in skeet shooting events or plinking at targets in competitions. There is only going to be one reason for the barrel of any of my weapons to be pointed or aimed at anything in public. And that would be for self-preservation. All other rounds expended by me are done on my own property and usually not for the mere plinking at some target other than to maintain my skill set, even then I only require firing a few rounds if I am still good I quit then and there if I am bad then I need to fire more until I get good again if I can.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Jul 31, 2019)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Scheduled maintenance on a three-axle railway coach in Zürich, Switzerland, 1930.
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...h_fullsize.jpg

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 31, 2019), Seedtick (Jul 31, 2019), volodar (Aug 1, 2019)

Thread Information