Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vise Handle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools

Vise Handle

I use a 4" vise on the mill most of the time, it's alot lighter than my 6" plus the 4" does 99% of the work I do, the only thing wrong with the 4" vise is the handle, it's as big as the 6" vise handle, it's big, sloppy and falls off all the time, when it fell off the other day and I had to do an Indian dance to keep from getting my toes mashed I said that's it, it's time for a new and light handle.

it's just made from Aluminum, a 5/16" dowel pin and an old plastic knob I had in the junk drawer.

Some photos below
    Thanks for looking and happy machining

Doug

Vise Handle-1.jpg Vise Handle-2.jpg Vise Handle-3.jpg

Vise Handle-4.jpg Vise Handle-5.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

almarghi (Jul 24, 2018), bigtrev8xl (Dec 1, 2018), Captn Roy (Aug 4, 2018), DENedbalek (Jul 23, 2018), Frank S (Jul 22, 2018), high-side (Dec 3, 2018), HobieDave (Mar 19, 2020), Jon (Jul 22, 2018), Paul Jones (Jul 23, 2018), philipUsesWood&Brass (Jul 24, 2018), PJs (Jul 22, 2018), Seedtick (Jul 23, 2018), Stevohdee (Jul 27, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 22, 2018), Tule (Dec 2, 2018)

Thanks

MountainMan's Tools
    Nice work man!!

2000 Tool Plans

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Beautiful work Doug! That yoke is primo-extraeligant! Is the broach a snug slip fit to the hex shaft...or could it use a ball detent of some kind. Just thinking it would be easy to turn a groove on the hex and add a prefab ball detent screw (McMaster) to the yoke for $5 would be the cat's meow. Doing the Indian dance...been there done that.

Thanks very much!
    PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 23, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 22, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rossbotics;...[B
    only thing wrong[/B] with the 4" vise is the handle, it's as big as the 6" vise handle, it's big, sloppy and falls off all the time...Some photos below
    Thanks for looking and happy machining
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	813 
Size:	358.5 KB 
ID:	24859
    Doug

Rest easy now, assured your vise and original handle aren't isolated cases. Counting that handle as one thing is generous...I count those as three, maybe four deficiencies! Five, counting hinge pin will begin working loose too!

Likely we are spoiled by what decades of true interchangeability and tolerancing gave us. Lol, we had dimensional tolerance, now we practice tolerance in our attitude. The great influx of products now available is not a proportional increase of what is actually desirable! Tools reflect such degradation, in a manner different than other products. Why IMNSHO isn't clear. Anyone else wonder how much dependence foreign manufacture places on domestic tooling?

Anyway Doug, assuring you very currently; a supposedly matched pair [$700+ total] imported impressions of 6 x 9 Kurt haven't got proper handles either! Like reflections about import machines, 'looks like' vs 'are' present disparity in magnified degrees.

We run long parts frequently enough to justify two vises. The only positive is their deck heights match as closely as I can determine with a 0.0001 indicator, vises mounted for use, within .0003 TIR of Z. A secondary reading of table relates roughly the same error, at 75% full travel in X. Anywhere beyond, Abbe error compounds deviation needing separate compensation.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbe_error
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 22, 2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: capture Doug's handle pic
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 23, 2018), PJs (Jul 22, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Beautiful work Doug! That yoke is primo-extraeligant! Is the broach a snug slip fit to the hex shaft...or could it use a ball detent of some kind. Just thinking it would be easy to turn a groove on the hex and add a prefab ball detent screw (McMaster) to the yoke for $5 would be the cat's meow. Doing the Indian dance...been there done that.

Thanks very much!
    PJ
    On this note, found an interesting page on rotary broaching. What isn't clear how a exactly sized fit is attained [beyond desired size of production type parts] or adjusted.
    Rotary Broaching Technical Information, Broaching Trouble Shooting and Speeds and Feeds Data
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 22, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    maybe four deficiencies! Five, counting hinge pin will begin working loose too!

Likely we are spoiled by what decades of true interchangeability and tolerancing gave us. Lol, we had dimensional tolerance, now we practice tolerance in our attitude. The great influx of products now available is not a proportional increase of what is actually desirable! Tools reflect such degradation, in a manner different than other products. Why IMNSHO isn't clear. Anyone else wonder how much dependence foreign manufacture places on domestic tooling?
    Thanks for the link to broaching TM51! Who new a 1° wobble would do that! Great info on hole depth and size. Seems to me if one used a single flat width bit (toleranced) and rotated the work six times one could achieve a pretty good fit like on a shaper, but setting the height would be a PITA on a lathe.

Forgot about the pins failing down the road. Perhaps a shoulder screw with loctite would last forever-ish. Busted me up with "now we practice tolerance in our attitude" and reminded me of Alfred North Whiteheads few pages on Tolerance in "Adventures of Ideas" but so true...even in the tools we purchase and why.

Not sure I could answer the question of dependence on domestic tooling but think it may be growing in certain countries. As for why tools more than other products, I'm not sure that is true...but do feel that most quality/design has fallen to the planned obsolescence Mob. Me, I would take Doug's handle 10:1 over even a Kurt...but I'd probably be dead by the time the first one wore out.

PJ
    Last edited by PJs; Jul 22, 2018 at 02:10 PM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 23, 2018)

Thanks

rossbotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post

Thanks very much!
    PJ
    Thanks PJs
    I machined the 9/16" hex broach to .585" across the flats of the hex, after hardening it was set up in the tilting dividing fixture and ground to .570" across the flats which gave some wiggle room on the hex of the vises screw and allowed for a couple of sharpening's, it's also ground at a 3° taper to allow for the 1° wobble in the broaching tool and to give the cutter some side clearance as it passes through the hole.
    It works very well, here is a photo of the grinding process on the 9/16" broach

Thanks PJs
    Doug

Vise Handle-8.jpg
    Last edited by rossbotics; Jul 23, 2018 at 10:49 PM.
    Doug

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 24, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 24, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Sure a lot prettier than the handle I made for an old monster vice of mine.
    I made this handle every bit of 20 years ago. It was one of those things that I just got tired of not having a handle for the vice so I tossed a few bits togethere and welded them up
    That is a 10" adjustable wrench
    Vise Handle-20180722_173725.jpgc.jpg
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

rossbotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Sure a lot prettier than the handle I made for an old monster vice of mine.
    I made this handle every bit of 20 years ago. It was one of those things that I just got tired of not having a handle for the vice so I tossed a few bits togethere and welded them up
    That is a 10" adjustable wrench
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180722_173725.jpgc.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	24896

It doesn't have to be pretty as long as it does what you want.

Doug
    Doug

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks rossbotics! We've added your Vise Handle to our Vises category,
    as well as to your builder page: rossbotics's Homemade Tools. Your receipt: