Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Warehouse box picking robot - video

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think such robots will either be the meteoric rise of humanity or it's rapid downfall. This guy should have gone down and gotten his own damn bag. To me having an expensive robot just to fetch for you is a waste. The mundane tasks of caring for yourself, while perfectly healthy and able to do it for yourself, should be done by you. Exploration of places unreachable by humans is a great use of robots and robotics. Tasks that are deadly to humans like Shutting off a valve to end leaking anhydrous ammonia or other deadly situation is a good use. Even educational toys for kids is a good use of that technology. Washing (or driving!) my car, cooking my meals or doing my laundry seems to me a great waste of the technology, but I guess, like everything else, follow the $$$. If you can market it to those with massive amounts of disposable income there is apparently no moral dilemma involved in the equation. In the movie WALL-E, it depicts humans as pretty much all fat and with ever-shortening legs as a result of natural evolutionary changes from lack of use of those appendages. I see that as a real possibility from lack of proper use of evolving technologies. Just my .02 for what it's worth.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosiersmoker For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Jan 21, 2023)

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    Ok, next clean the house and wash the car, oh ya, I would like steaks on the grill for dinner.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    I think such robots will either be the meteoric rise of humanity or it's rapid downfall. This guy should have gone down and gotten his own damn bag. To me having an expensive robot just to fetch for you is a waste. The mundane tasks of caring for yourself, while perfectly healthy and able to do it for yourself, should be done by you. Exploration of places unreachable by humans is a great use of robots and robotics. Tasks that are deadly to humans like Shutting off a valve to end leaking anhydrous ammonia or other deadly situation is a good use. Even educational toys for kids is a good use of that technology. Washing (or driving!) my car, cooking my meals or doing my laundry seems to me a great waste of the technology, but I guess, like everything else, follow the $$$. If you can market it to those with massive amounts of disposable income there is apparently no moral dilemma involved in the equation. In the movie WALL-E, it depicts humans as pretty much all fat and with ever-shortening legs as a result of natural evolutionary changes from lack of use of those appendages. I see that as a real possibility from lack of proper use of evolving technologies. Just my .02 for what it's worth.
    I can't help but think you are dead on point. As technology as we know it advances it will eventually evolve into versions of how we have already seen it in the movies. In many ways we are almost currently living in the age of the animated sitcom that aired in 1962 by the name of the Jetsons. In just 60 years virtually everything that existed only in the minds of the producers of that show are in some form or another a reality today. robots vacuuming the floor, assembling things in manufacturing, treadmills, the ones now have VR gear connected to them, video calls, we have gone beyond that one as well think Zoom, automated personal conveyances, think self-driving cars. Even 3d food printing is as reality in a limited form. there are many more things. that existed only in the minds of Sci-fi writers as far back as the 1940s we consider completely natural to use in our everyday lives. the personal computers many of us still use are considered last century technology since we now can wear them on our wrists, instead of having to type in our commands we merely make out desires to roam the internet known by speaking Let's not forget the internet either. Notably could be accredited to writings of William Gibson in 1948. The waterbed, now is ancient history, was invented by Dr. Neil Arnott.in 1833. Too many more things to even consider writing down, but our world does seem to revolve around lots of things once thought to be pure fantasy. Lets just hope it doesn't turn into an I-Robot or a The Surrogate, or worst yet the Terminator, type world.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Hoosiersmoker (Jan 20, 2023)

Thanks
    "Lets just hope it doesn't turn into an I-Robot or a The Surrogate, or worst yet the Terminator, type world."

That's the point that I was thinking of by my comment. All the Sci-Fi movies where the AI becomes self aware and decides everything wrong in the universe is caused by all the "meat sacks".

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,860 Times in 11,343 Posts
    An alternative view of an AI takeover would be not so much that robots physically attacked humans, but that in a world dominated by artificial intelligence, people become lazy and worthless.

Universities are already having to alter their courses after seeing how ChatGPT can write papers and pass exams: Alarmed by A.I. Chatbots, Universities Start Revamping How They Teach.

I think most of the impressive robot GIFs we see on the net were selected out of numerous outtakes like this one:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Jan 21, 2023)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    The robot in post #15 has been having a bad day so it took it out on the trolly then its logic circuit shorted out

Supporting Member
    Thanks

that_other_guy's Tools
    I was hoping it would run the plank thru the table saw and deliver a proper sized part to the guy at the top.

Instead it was programmed to be an inefficient show off..... why?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

that_other_guy's Tools
    [QUOTE=Frank S;217056In many ways we are almost currently living in the age of the animated sitcom that aired in 1962 by the name of the Jetsons.[/QUOTE]

....but where's my flying car that automatically folds up into a briefcase that I can carry?

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by that_other_guy View Post
    ....but where's my flying car that automatically folds up into a briefcase that I can carry?
    You may have to wait a few years for that one. Meanwhile you could ride your suitcase to where you are going.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by that_other_guy View Post
    ...Instead it was programmed to be an inefficient show off..... why?
    If you were able to build and program something like that, wouldn't you want to show off what it can do?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 22, 2023)

Thread Information