Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Water fill adapter for lawn tractor tires

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Water fill adapter for lawn tractor tires

We use our little lawn tractors more for moving things around than we do mowing, their biggest failing point is the lack of weight over the drive tires. I decided that since mine had flats on both rear tires that I would install heavy puncture resistant tubes in them then maybe this summer I will replace the tires with Wider more aggressive tread ATV tires but in the meantime why not water fill the ones on it to add some much-needed weight where it will do the most good.
    For this I needed an adapter to connect the garden hose to the valve stem. Milton makes a female air plug that fits the quick connects which had the .305-32 thread which fits the stem. somehow I happened to have one but don't ask me where it came from. I took a Hose bib that had a 1/8" NPT outlet for an evaporative cooler line to which I threaded in a 1/8 inch brass hex nipple then bushed up to 1/4NPT and installed an air hose quick connector. I mounted the tires without putting any air in the tubes. Instead of airing them up I watered them up to seat the beads and bring them to the hardness I wanted. The adapter allows for insertion of the valve stem through it without the need to unscrew it first but to do that I had to modify a cheap core removal tool by grinding away part of the handle.
    Water fill adapter for lawn tractor tires-img_20220419_163712wf.jpg

Water fill adapter for lawn tractor tires-img_20220419_164042wf.jpg

Water fill adapter for lawn tractor tires-img_20220419_164247wf.jpg

Water fill adapter for lawn tractor tires-img_20220419_164432wf.jpg

Water fill adapter for lawn tractor tires-img_20220419_164539wf.jpg
    There is right at 9 gallons of water in each tire this adds a significant amount of weight right where it is needed most

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 25, 2022), bruce.desertrat (Apr 20, 2022), DIYer (Apr 21, 2022), Jon (Apr 21, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Apr 24, 2022), NortonDommi (Apr 22, 2022), nova_robotics (Apr 20, 2022), Sleykin (May 1, 2022)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Nice adapter.
    You're lucky you don't have to put brine in, with your above freezing temp.
    I have a very old garden tractor I bought, it came with brine filled tires, but the innertubes leaked, and ate out the rims.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I've never heard of people putting pure water in their tires before. Around here people use a solution of calcium chloride or beet juice. They're both a bit heavier than pure water, but other than that I know very little about it. I also don't know why they're used as opposed to something like antifreeze.

Also here's a bunch of crazy Russians filling their tires with lead:

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Right now I have 100& fill and pressured up to about 20PSI water only. This is fine for the summer and I plan on replacing the aging tires with larger much more aggressive tread ATV tires sometime during the summer. But if I don't replace then then I will have to allow a significant amount of water out for the winter. We may not have the harsh winters that many do but it can stay below the freezing point for several days at least once or twice during any given winter without any air in the tubes there is no chance of the water having any expansion room during the freeze thaw process, the tires are old enough they will not stretch but just rip apart Calcium chloride mix or Beetjuice would have added a couple lbs per gallon, Hardly worth the effort or expense for a total of about 18 gallons in the 2 tires even with the up to -35°f freezing point. And then there would be the issue of removing it when I change tires. Although since I have tubes I could pump the stuff out easy enough.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Tractor Tire Water Fill Adaptor to our Farm and Garden category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Ah Garage 54 huh? Those crazy Russians! Boy I would have loved an apprenticeship in a shop like that. Love the voice over from BMI Russia as well.

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Right now I have 100& fill and pressured up to about 20PSI water only. This is fine for the summer and I plan on replacing the aging tires with larger much more aggressive tread ATV tires sometime during the summer. But if I don't replace then then I will have to allow a significant amount of water out for the winter. We may not have the harsh winters that many do but it can stay below the freezing point for several days at least once or twice during any given winter without any air in the tubes there is no chance of the water having any expansion room during the freeze thaw process, the tires are old enough they will not stretch but just rip apart Calcium chloride mix or Beetjuice would have added a couple lbs per gallon, Hardly worth the effort or expense for a total of about 18 gallons in the 2 tires even with the up to -35°f freezing point. And then there would be the issue of removing it when I change tires. Although since I have tubes I could pump the stuff out easy enough.
    About 20% larger volume of ice versus water Frank. Up here it's brine. Anything else is suicidal for tires. I was in Texas for the record cold winter in the early 80's. We walked around in T shirts. Came from minus 30 in Manitoba. Wimps!

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    About 20% larger volume of ice versus water Frank. Up here it's brine. Anything else is suicidal for tires. I was in Texas for the record cold winter in the early 80's. We walked around in T shirts. Came from minus 30 in Manitoba. Wimps!
    My Aunt and Uncle came down from the mountains of Colorado for my Grandpa's funeral one January. Obviously used to a bit of cold weather and driving on snow. Over night we had about a 1/2" of freezing rain then topped with about an inch of snow. I told him it takes a special skill to drive on the stuff, he merely replied that he had been driving on snow for 60 years this is nothing. I thought yeah, you will be just like the city folks around here you won't get 2 miles before you find yourself in a ditch. Sure enough the first little hill we came to I saw him in my rear view mirror go side ways a few times then off the road he went. He managed to get back on the road after several attempts. We made it to the funeral home/ cemetery the entire service was to be grave site. Afterwards my extremely Portly Aunt complained about how she was freezing to death. I laughed and said you live at 6000 ft elevation in the mountains where it stays below zero for half the winter and you are crying about being cold at just a little below freezing. Don't worry the forecast for tomorrow the high will only be in the single digits the wind will be calm the sun will be shining the dew point and barometric pressure will change and it will feel like you can walk around in a bikini compared to today.
    How can it be colder and you say it will feel warmer she asked. Because this is Texas it can feel warm when it is cold and cold when it is warmer and cool when it is hot, or feel hot and miserable when it is only warm. You can get stuck in 1/2" of snow or drive 80 MPH when it is several inches deep Welcome to Texas either learn to live with it or go home. I thought my Uncle was going to bust a gut laughing.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information