Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: What Is It?

Thanks

tsbrownie's Tools

What Is It?

Hint: It's old, USN and probably cost a lot.

WARNING: These operate on high voltage. This is NOT an instructional video, it is for entertainment only. If you do not have training in high voltage, get it or don't work with these!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tsbrownie For This Useful Post:

Alan Purdy (Aug 3, 2019), high-side (Aug 3, 2019), Inner (Aug 2, 2019), Seedtick (Aug 2, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    When I was in college I had a summer job at Bell Laboratories. My boss was a researcher who wanted to evaluate alternate emitter geometries in power transistors to increase their current capacity. He tasked me to build an apparatus to display the infrared recombination radiation from the chip.

I used a tube like yours but mine was taken from a WWII infrared sniperscope and was slightly bigger. With the transistor on the stage of a metallurgical microscope, the infrared light was focused on the sniperscope lens and the resulting visual image captured on high-speed film in a Polaroid camera back. The whole contraption was mounted inside a light proof box.

The procedure worked well and led to new emitter geometries that were incorporated into the transistors used (then) in Western Electric telephone switching networks.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

tsbrownie's Tools
    Wow, Bell Labs. My friends and I dreamed of jobs there, but only 1 of us was smart enough to make it (and sadly it was not me). Sounds like an interesting project. It's amazing how far transistors have come in my lifetime. Now there are similar devices that can handle before unimaginable power.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information