Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What skill are you learning right now?

Thanks

scorch's Tools
    @Edge20 Depending on what you are trying to do MeshMixer (free program) might be a software tool worth looking at for combining STL files.

As for what I am learning, I am working on a simple project with a Trinket micro-controller (it is like an Arduino). I rarely have a use for such things but I am building a project for a friend. It takes input from pressure sensors and produces beeps/vibration based on a program.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Edge20's Tools
    Hey there scorch. I tried meshmixer, everyone else I know doing this seem to use it, but found meshlab worked better for me. Horses for courses I suppose. I use it along with some other programs, either free or I already have to get what I want. Waiting till my pension gets big enough to afford VCarve Pro 8 which would simplify things. Never got my head round Arduino, I even converted my 3D printer to Mach3 so as to use the same programs as my router in fact I have added a printer head to the router

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    An interesting mix! One's never to old to learn something new. As for me, I've been trying to learn Sketchup like Ken, but really want to get into Arduino stuff down the road.

Thanks

scorch's Tools
    @Edge20 I have not used Meshmixer much myself. Like you indicated other people seem to like it. I know if I ever need to put a rabbit head on a horse body I will run to Meshmixer.

Your print head on a CNC router would be interesting to see if you ever want to post it.

I have something similar that I will post at some point. It is an extruder for my CNC mill that uses full size caulk tubes to extrude silicone caulk (or anything that comes in a caulk tube). I want to get a better picture of it before I post it.
    My caulk extruder is on this page: Adventures in 3D Printing

Thanks

Edge20's Tools
    Brilliant!!!! Mind if I steal it?

Thanks

scorch's Tools
    I don't mind at all. I would love to see pictures if you make something like it.

Now, I better get on with posting it soon.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Astro's Tools

Full featured(nearly) 2D CAD program.

Quote Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
    Hi,

Neat stuff! Learning CAD has been on my list for awhile, but I haven't gotten beyond some fumbling with Sketchup. If you could point a Mac guy in the right direction, I'd definitely be interested.

Ken
    Hi Ken, I have been using a program called Draftsight for 2D drawings. It's a free download, and It's made by the same people who make Solidworks 3D, Dassault Systemes. It's very similar to AutoCAD with some minor differences. It is available for download to mac & others, you just have to choose the right download for your operating system. I have played with it for a couple of months, but as with most programs it helps to have some one-on-one training. That is why I am attending my local training facility. There are also lots of online training and tutorial options. I'd recommend giving it a try

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

DIYer (May 14, 2015)

Thanks
    New skill for me but, old as the hills for man kind! My daughter and I are drilling a well with a mud pump and pvc pipe. Goes real fast with good dirt but, now we are in RED CLAY! Not so fast now. Had to make a couple of different drill bits to handle this stuff. Hope to try them out this afternoon.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Hi Ken, I have been using a program called Draftsight for 2D drawings. It's a free download, and It's made by the same people who make Solidworks 3D, Dassault Systemes. It's very similar to AutoCAD with some minor differences. It is available for download to mac & others, you just have to choose the right download for your operating system. I have played with it for a couple of months, but as with most programs it helps to have some one-on-one training. That is why I am attending my local training facility. There are also lots of online training and tutorial options. I'd recommend giving it a try
    Looks interesting; thanks. I've downloaded Draftsight and will commence playing with it in my free time…

Ken

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information