Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's going on with you YouTube?

Thanks

diyfixman's Tools

What's going on with you YouTube?

I'm trying to figure out how YouTube works!
    While putting my whole soul into making DIY videos, I only get 3000 Views.
    And people who have just prepared something from balloon get a few million!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by diyfixman; Apr 26, 2019 at 08:36 AM.

Amazing Videos and DIY Guides, Explanations, Tips, Tricks and Much More...
    Facebook Page | YouTube channel

2. The Following User Says Thank You to diyfixman For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Apr 26, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,850 Times in 11,341 Posts
    This has the potential to be a very useful discussion. Some points to start it off:

• Not all traffic is equal. Certainly not all view counts are equal to individual people viewing something, and view counts can be gamed in a variety of ways.
    • Web content can sit undiscovered for months or years before it goes viral. In fact this is much more common than something instantly becoming popular.
    • Videos that prominently feature women, animals, explosions, or weird stuff like zit popping have a tendency to outperform technically useful videos in raw views.
    • When you post on this forum, your videos get automatically posted to various social media (credited to your username, of course). If they're really good, we will ALSO manually post them on social media, as we did for your most popular video (more below). This always leads to a traffic spike, and sometimes a significant one.

The most popular video, by far, on your YT channel (sorting by Most Popular), is for a metal bender. This aligns with an understanding that we have gained by analyzing years of click/open rates for our newsletters, in that the following tool content gains the most traffic: crane, metal cutter or bender, bandsaw, brake, axe/tomahawk, tractor. Not necessarily the highest quality traffic, but the most views. Also, recently, those large bearing type of metal benders were very popular, for good reason, and yours was one of the first ones to tap that popularity. Note how your second most popular video is a brake.

Consider taking your most popular video, and creating additional videos that work off of that theme. Sometimes people will do a Part II video, or a more in-depth video detailing the construction of the subject of the first video. Or, a series of related videos. So, here you might do additional metal bender builds. Or more builds that incorporate large bearings. Or feature that metal bender in additional tool builds.

Have you noticed a recent increase in large bearing metal bender videos? I have. People likely saw your success, or the success of similar videos, and created similar builds. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, but it's important to note.

If a video goes viral, research why. For example, when you post a high-quality build on this forum, it gets moved into the "Best" section of our website, and into our Best Homemade Tools subforum. Once that happens, your video gets more traffic, and we will also promote it repeatedly, in our ebooks, again on social media, and in the "From the Vault" section of our newsletter, which goes out to around 46,000 subscribers now. Those two "Best" sections of our site are also very strongly correlated with long-term retention. When someone views something in those sections, they're 17 times more likely to return over 3 months than an average visitor who found us in Google. For example, this person found your metal bender video in our Best section: https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184546

If you can track down why a specific video was successful, then you can promote your future related videos in that same spot. The same forums, the same comment threads, the same social media, etc. This is often dangerous, however, if you're jumping into a discussion where people are ALREADY discussing your work positively, then my experience has been that your success rate will be very high, over 90% in the small amount of times that I've crunched the numbers.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Altair (Apr 26, 2019), diyfixman (Apr 26, 2019), rgsparber (Apr 26, 2019), tonyfoale (Apr 27, 2019)

Thanks

diyfixman's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    This has the potential to be a very useful discussion. Some points to start it off:

• Not all traffic is equal. Certainly not all view counts are equal to individual people viewing something, and view counts can be gamed in a variety of ways.
    • Web content can sit undiscovered for months or years before it goes viral. In fact this is much more common than something instantly becoming popular.
    • Videos that prominently feature women, animals, explosions, or weird stuff like zit popping have a tendency to outperform technically useful videos in raw views.
    • When you post on this forum, your videos get automatically posted to various social media (credited to your username, of course). If they're really good, we will ALSO manually post them on social media, as we did for your most popular video (more below). This always leads to a traffic spike, and sometimes a significant one.

The most popular video, by far, on your YT channel (sorting by Most Popular), is for a metal bender. This aligns with an understanding that we have gained by analyzing years of click/open rates for our newsletters, in that the following tool content gains the most traffic: crane, metal cutter or bender, bandsaw, brake, axe/tomahawk, tractor. Not necessarily the highest quality traffic, but the most views. Also, recently, those large bearing type of metal benders were very popular, for good reason, and yours was one of the first ones to tap that popularity. Note how your second most popular video is a brake.

Consider taking your most popular video, and creating additional videos that work off of that theme. Sometimes people will do a Part II video, or a more in-depth video detailing the construction of the subject of the first video. Or, a series of related videos. So, here you might do additional metal bender builds. Or more builds that incorporate large bearings. Or feature that metal bender in additional tool builds.

Have you noticed a recent increase in large bearing metal bender videos? I have. People likely saw your success, or the success of similar videos, and created similar builds. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, but it's important to note.

If a video goes viral, research why. For example, when you post a high-quality build on this forum, it gets moved into the "Best" section of our website, and into our Best Homemade Tools subforum. Once that happens, your video gets more traffic, and we will also promote it repeatedly, in our ebooks, again on social media, and in the "From the Vault" section of our newsletter, which goes out to around 46,000 subscribers now. Those two "Best" sections of our site are also very strongly correlated with long-term retention. When someone views something in those sections, they're 17 times more likely to return over 3 months than an average visitor who found us in Google. For example, this person found your metal bender video in our Best section: https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184546

If you can track down why a specific video was successful, then you can promote your future related videos in that same spot. The same forums, the same comment threads, the same social media, etc. This is often dangerous, however, if you're jumping into a discussion where people are ALREADY discussing your work positively, then my experience has been that your success rate will be very high, over 90% in the small amount of times that I've crunched the numbers.
    Thank you for all the information you recorded! It helped me a lot

Thanks

diyfixman's Tools
    So what do I need to do to appear in the places you specify?

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,850 Times in 11,341 Posts
    To get your tool thread into the Best Homemade Tools subforum (tools from which are automatically added to our Best page), your tools have to receive many legitimate Thanks votes. Once monthly, we move all the most-thanked tools into the Best Homemade Tools subforum. If you win a Homemade Tool of the Week award, your tool gets moved in there immediately.

Also take note of the common web advice that, especially if your site or social media account is new, you should spend ten times as much time promoting your content than you spend creating it.

Also, you can post that video on hundreds of different forums. Here's a list of 400+ forums that link to us; that's a good place to start: https://www.homemadetools.net/links

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Diy fixman: Hello!
    One things you might try is to first address the person viewing your video.
    I have probably watched a few thousand you tube videos.
    I haven't "liked" any of them!
    It is not that i actually did not like/appreciate their video.
    I just don't have a Youtube account and cant log in to actually press the buttons.
    So. maybe you could Address that point and help people like me to learn to log into You Tube.
    A Lot of the folks on this site are older folks and not really geared up to all the features etc of youtube.
    We tend to only learn enough to get us to the subjects we want to see and the rest of YOUTUBE is invisible to us.

Good Luck

Richard

9. The Following User Says Thank You to greyhoundollie For This Useful Post:

diyfixman (Apr 26, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    diyfixman,
    When you get the answer, please tell me about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by diyfixman View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how YouTube works!
    While putting my whole soul into making DIY videos, I only get 3000 Views.
    And people who have just prepared something from balloon get a few million!
    I just had a look at your channel and I do not know what you are complaining about. It looks to be very successful. Many posts with 100,000+ views, I noticed one with 13,000,000, 76,000 followers. I think that you will have to go way down the intellectual scale if you want to increase that, as Jon said make explosions.

Although I have had some videos on my channel for several years it has only been recently that I have put any effort into trying to increase traffic and subscribers but that seems to have been spectacularly unsuccessful. Less than a 1000 followers during the past 12 months. Perhaps I should change to a handheld phone camera which I wave about so much that nobody can tell what is happening because their eyes are confused.
    During the last couple of weeks I have put a few posts on "Instructables" in an effort to drive some traffic to my YT channel. The hand tapping machine is by far the most popular that I posted there yet it hasn't caused a noticeable blip in the YT numbers.
    Anyway I have no intention of posting videos that are outside of my range of interests just to get the numbers up. I'll leave others to make explosions and/or plain stupid and/or fake movies.

Thanks

diyfixman's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    I just had a look at your channel and I do not know what you are complaining about. It looks to be very successful. Many posts with 100,000+ views, I noticed one with 13,000,000, 76,000 followers. I think that you will have to go way down the intellectual scale if you want to increase that, as Jon said make explosions.

Although I have had some videos on my channel for several years it has only been recently that I have put any effort into trying to increase traffic and subscribers but that seems to have been spectacularly unsuccessful. Less than a 1000 followers during the past 12 months. Perhaps I should change to a handheld phone camera which I wave about so much that nobody can tell what is happening because their eyes are confused.
    During the last couple of weeks I have put a few posts on "Instructables" in an effort to drive some traffic to my YT channel. The hand tapping machine is by far the most popular that I posted there yet it hasn't caused a noticeable blip in the YT numbers.
    Anyway I have no intention of posting videos that are outside of my range of interests just to get the numbers up. I'll leave others to make explosions and/or plain stupid and/or fake movies.
    I do not complain I respect and appreciate all my subscribers!
    The problem is that I upload new videos and I only get 3000 hits and that's despite having 76,000 subscribers. It's watching! I spend a lot of money and time and I do not get exposure I expect. I'm just wrong where are all my subscribers?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by diyfixman View Post
    I do not complain I respect and appreciate all my subscribers!
    The problem is that I upload new videos and I only get 3000 hits and that's despite having 76,000 subscribers. It's watching! I spend a lot of money and time and I do not get exposure I expect. I'm just wrong where are all my subscribers?
    When making maker videos, that is very usual.
    I have noticed that only couple percents of my views comes from the subscribers. Possibly there is about 1000 persons who watches every video. Others watches only if subject interests them.

My opinion is that most of the people who watches maker videos, doesn't actually make things by themself. They just want to see something cool, possibly learn something too... but mostly they watch just for fun.

I think that reason is that most of the youtube viewers are young, they don't have own workshop or tools. That's why all kind of simple stuff interests, even that those "awesome, unique, new idea from a nut and bearing " - videos are really stupid / useless. ( just my opinion ) Those videos go viral, because of simpliness and because viewer isn't so experienced to realize that its actually very useless stuff what they are watching..

My most watched video is one of those, made it just for fun, as a kind of joke... then suddenly it was a "awesome" Lol.. and when i have tried to make something actually usefull, simple to make.. etc. It gets couple views.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

diyfixman (Apr 27, 2019), tonyfoale (Apr 28, 2019)

Thread Information