Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Wire stripper and twister - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,247 Times in 9,724 Posts

Wire stripper and twister - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (May 22, 2019), baja (May 22, 2019), dubbby (May 31, 2020), high-side (May 22, 2019), HobieDave (Mar 22, 2020), KustomsbyKent (May 21, 2019), Rangi (May 22, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (May 21, 2019), Seedtick (May 21, 2019), Slim-123 (May 25, 2019), that_other_guy (May 24, 2019), VinnieL (May 26, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    All electrical work depends on a good mechanical connection and this tool appears to make one of the best mechanical connections I've seen. A dap of solder and a piece of dielectric shrink tubing then a protective boot snapped in place and this connection will out last the wiring.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    All electrical work depends on a good mechanical connection and this tool appears to make one of the best mechanical connections I've seen. A dap of solder and a piece of dielectric shrink tubing then a protective boot snapped in place and this connection will out last the wiring.

Hmm, nothwithstanding the quality of the cable twist created by that tool, soldered connections are, AIUI, not acceptable here in UK. Crimped or WAGO joints and similar maintenance-free connectors are preferable.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Otford View Post
    Hmm, nothwithstanding the quality of the cable twist created by that tool, soldered connections are, AIUI, not acceptable here in UK. Crimped or WAGO joints and similar maintenance-free connectors are preferable.
    yeah the only time you will find soldered connections here either is in low voltage applications I've seen some silver brazed connections in 4300v panels and in 600v DC always backed up with another means of securement.
    Some photos of acceptable connectors in various parts of the world
    almost the only type of connector used in house wiring in the middle east
    Wire stripper and twister - GIF-88321.jpg
    very popular in the USA
    Wire stripper and twister - GIF-ideal-twister-341-tan-wire-connectors-illustration.jpg
    My preferred after a connection is tightly twisted, if the wire is stranded I like to solder as well then these are crimped over the connection
    Wire stripper and twister - GIF-71eo85lfrul._sl1500_.jpg

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

dubbby (May 31, 2020), Jon (May 26, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Apr 29, 2022)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

cognitdiss (Jan 21, 2024), dubbby (May 31, 2020)

Thanks
    I was told the reason the U.S. Electrical Code prohibits soldered connections is that too many people think "soldering" is laying two wires side by side and running or globbing molten solder between them. The lead, silver, tin of the solder melts wasily and can result in an open or short circuit or fire.
    It does take a good mecanical connection to make a good electrical connection.
    I like this tool!
    Some people simply stick the stripped ends of wires to be joined in a "wirenut" and twist the wirenut. I never did trust that type of connection and always tightly twist them before inserting in the nut, otherwise you are expecting that little steel spring inside to conduct the current of the joint.
    Last edited by VinnieL; May 26, 2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: adding info

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VinnieL For This Useful Post:

dubbby (May 31, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnieL View Post
    too many people think "soldering" is laying two wires side by side and running or globbing molten solder between them. The lead, silver, tin of the solder melts wasily and can result in an open or short circuit or fire.
    It does take a good mecanical connection to make a good electrical connection.
    Some people simply stick the stripped ends of wires to be joined in a "wirenut" and twist the wirenut. always tightly twist them before inserting in the nut, otherwise you are expecting that little steel spring inside to conduct the current of the joint.
    Exactly; I've had to repair countless wiring harnesses in vehicles where the manufacture had hidden splices and branch off connections deep in the harness which were merely soldered together without and form of other securement to hold the ends together.
    Not all wire nuts are created equal many don't even have the conical shaped steel spring in them, just plastic threads which may or may not be OK I only know that I don't like them and don't trust them even when having the ends firmly twisted prior to their use

Thanks
    Many years ago at a Home Improvement store which has since gone bankrupt, I bought a piece of wire made by Carol Wire to replace a cord on a bench grinder. It wasabout 10 feet of 12/2 with ground in a heavy orange jacket. Got it home and put it all together and a couple of weeks later when I went to use it, it wouldn't work. So naturally, I opened each end and saw no problem. Checked and had voltage at one end of the cord but not the other. So I began to dissect it and found the neutral white wire had been half soldered together and had broken. I took the cord back to the home improvement store and they called me a liar. Never went back there.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VinnieL For This Useful Post:

dubbby (May 31, 2020)

Thanks
    I'm looking at this and I see a huge problem.

I used to wire wrap square posts with 24 gage wire. It held it like glue. But as soon as I wrapped the same wire with the same wire wrap gun on a round shaft post. the wire slid right off.

So I see it as not good mechanical connection . I never done it but as you wind a spring on a medral , You know that the spring wire spring out on diameter of the mmendral. Just me thinking on this boring day.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TSiArt For This Useful Post:

cognitdiss (Jan 21, 2024)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiArt View Post
    I'm looking at this and I see a huge problem.

I used to wire wrap square posts with 24 gage wire. It held it like glue. But as soon as I wrapped the same wire with the same wire wrap gun on a round shaft post. the wire slid right off.

So I see it as not good mechanical connection . I never done it but as you wind a spring on a medral , You know that the spring wire spring out on diameter of the mmendral. Just me thinking on this boring day.
    What your are seeing as a huge problem is the fact that you are viewing the twisting stripper as the final step of the connection. which it would never be if the connection was done properly, the twisted part would either be folded back on itself and pinched with pliers or served with an additional device or material to hold it together.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Apr 29, 2022)

Thread Information