Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wise vise bench.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    3M
    Have total respect for them. Best evidence of 'you get what you pay for'. Anything they produce performs well, and sets standards for other companies.
    I'll use the grade and specs for the flap wheels for US equivalents, especially squared edges.
    In your video's, they're always spinning, couldn't tell if bonded abrasive or what, never saw flap wheels work so aggressively. All of ours seem rounded off, so while they do sand/ grind, it's not what I'd call metal removal.
    Yeah, with flap discs there's a big difference what you use. I have found those Lukas ones to be good for me. Another great product for metal removing is 3M fiber disc with 36 grade, suprisingly 25 grade doesn't perform as well as those 36 grade fiber discs does.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 7, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Forgot to mention this.

Mounting holes ain't at the same level. This allows to bolt it trough the leg.

Wise vise bench.-fb_img_1525685714705.jpg

Also, i mounted my worktable to the floor from every corner.
    Now it doesn't move... even if i want to.

Wise vise bench.-fb_img_1525685680394.jpg
    Wise vise bench.-fb_img_1525685686871.jpg
    Wise vise bench.-fb_img_1525685692927.jpg
    Wise vise bench.-fb_img_1525685700477.jpg
    Wise vise bench.-fb_img_1525685707457.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 7, 2018), Toolmaker51 (May 7, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I really like the stool idea for a dedicated work station. Especially when tig welding. Most of my projects in recent years have been more of the just get it done so I could return to my primary project. This usually means completely ignore fit and finish since they usually wind up being of the 1 time use category.
    The pluses and minuses of an attitude like mine means that I don't spend a lot of time on the specialty tools but at the same time this leaves me with little to show for my efforts as well.
    For your stool I would have probably just hacked together something to sit on then gone about my business I would have had function but without form
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 7, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I really like the stool idea for a dedicated work station. Especially when tig welding. Most of my projects in recent years have been more of the just get it done so I could return to my primary project. This usually means completely ignore fit and finish since they usually wind up being of the 1 time use category.
    The pluses and minuses of an attitude like mine means that I don't spend a lot of time on the specialty tools but at the same time this leaves me with little to show for my efforts as well.
    For your stool I would have probably just hacked together something to sit on then gone about my business I would have had function but without form
    Yeah. We have that same situtation at my workplace.
    I made this to be used in home, but actual reason to make it was to show idea to my boss.

Those doesn't seem to understand if i try to explain something.

Luckily they liked the idea an promised to deliver machined & cut parts so we can build our owns to be used in work too.

Also i got small bonus from the idea, so this was fun and also profitable project.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 7, 2018), Toolmaker51 (May 7, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Yeah. We have that same situtation at my workplace.
    I made this to be used in home, but actual reason to make it was to show idea to my boss.

Those doesn't seem to understand if i try to explain something.

Luckily they liked the idea an promised to deliver machined & cut parts so we can build our owns to be used in work too.

Also i got small bonus from the idea, so this was fun and also profitable project.
    Good On you Tuomas for the small bonus and propagating one of your brilliant multifunctional, HMT ideas!! Well Deserved! Love the build over all and the idea of the extension for the vice was also well worthy of Praise and pre-thinking your seat brackets design...once again brilliant. Relieving stress and strain with those delicate and tedious task is a big time win in my book!

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Typically, I share with those who appreciate, can visualize, or flat-out need same item. Rarely are 'those' anyone handing out compensation.
    As Craftsmen, direct brethren of Industrial Revolutionaries, our station erodes with each passing day...yet maintain personal value by sheer will.
    Being discounted as resources, does not mean working for discount rates.

As mentioned before, if 'our work is viewed as overhead; what legacy or salable items do cubicle monkeys generate?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 8, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    in 78 I was working at a company that built foundation drilling rigs. We were gearing up to come out with a new model.
    Story continued
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...-23#post111323
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 7, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Ah yes, legendary material there, no? Thread: Shop Truths, Phrases, Tales; and Outright Lies
    No period in history, on any continent, answering any situation, has there been a more fun loving group of industrial giants.
    Allow me present the Epicyclic Elliptic Think & Do Continuum. (EETaDTC)
    Venture forth and absorb equivalent ~300 years of experience.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 8, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Good On you Tuomas for the small bonus and propagating one of your brilliant multifunctional, HMT ideas!! Well Deserved! Love the build over all and the idea of the extension for the vice was also well worthy of Praise and pre-thinking your seat brackets design...once again brilliant. Relieving stress and strain with those delicate and tedious task is a big time win in my book!

PJ
    Thanks buddy! Those bonuses are really small here, but its allways nice to get something extra. ��

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 8, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Ah yes, legendary material there, no? Thread: Shop Truths, Phrases, Tales; and Outright Lies
    No period in history, on any continent, answering any situation, has there been a more fun loving group of industrial giants.
    Allow me present the Epicyclic Elliptic Think & Do Continuum. (EETaDTC)
    Venture forth and absorb equivalent ~300 years of experience.
    Yeah. That's familiar to me.
    Its sometimes very frustrating to explain that "we really need those tools".. or that "we need couple days to straighten our worktable".. maintain our tools or..

We have 13meters long worktable that's supported from the ends, it can be lifted and turned 360 degrees electrically.

We build components that weight + 10 tons on top of it. Loads of welds, so it should be obvious that it starts to bend slowly, and soon centerpoint is 5mm lower than ends.

That doesn't sound much, but when you need to make pieces with 5mm machining allowance, it takes much more time to straighten workpiece afterwards, because we have to build it bendt from the start. Lots of shrinking with heat afterwards to get result straight, mostly just because we don't have time to fix the table.

This example is from the one simple and light part. But it has loads of machining. Because our worktable is twisted and bend.
    Result is that we need to straighten twisted workpiece with diagonal heats from both sides.

This has 2mn machining allowance on horizontal surfaces... and every time, it reguires loads of heating, just because.. blaah..

Wise vise bench.-img_20180313_182524_574.jpg

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 8, 2018)

Thread Information