Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: wood stove log grate

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

wood stove log grate

the grate in my wood stove has several years of some really hot fires burned over it.
    So before this season starts up I thought it better to make a new one as you can see from the picture it was past time
    I made the new one out of 5/8" sucker rod and 1" sucker rod with a few more bars, for no particular reason other than I sometimes felt the coals fell through a little early
    wood stove log grate-20191003_113434fg.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 4, 2019), hansgoudzwaard (Oct 3, 2019), Jon (Oct 10, 2019), rlm98253 (Oct 3, 2019), Seedtick (Oct 3, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Wood Stove Log Grate to our Heating and Cooling category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Having spent 17 years in the oil fields of West Texas, I am probably one of only a few in the audience who knows what a sucker rod is.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rlm98253 View Post
    Having spent 17 years in the oil fields of West Texas, I am probably one of only a few in the audience who knows what a sucker rod is.
    OH I imagine there are quite a few on these forums who have a pretty good idea what sucker rod is, I talk about using them enough.
    My first real encounter with sucker rod was on a Wilson single gin pole pulling unit pulled 1 rod length at a time then lay it down and get the next. Some worm hand had screwed up causing them to drop the string. The blacksmith shop where I worked got a call needing a welder so William took me along to give him a hand I was all of around 12 or 13 at the time we drove from Spring town to Megargel once there we set up and made an overshot fishing tool for them They caught the string 6 rods down on their first try so everyone had to turn a holiday into a get it done. later I made my first pair of duck bill tongs out of the screwed up rod.
    Many years later I found myself designing and building drill rigs then had to chase them to add up grades often found myself and my helper the only ones on the rig who knew anything about it. after the owner's hands had wobbled so Ron and I and the owner wound up drilling a 1500 ft hole by our selves a lot of work considering that Toby the owner had never worked the floor or drilled in his life
    Last edited by Frank S; Oct 3, 2019 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    the grate in my wood stove has several years of some really hot fires burned over it.
    So before this season starts up I thought it better to make a new one as you can see from the picture it was past time
    I made the new one out of 5/8" sucker rod and 1" sucker rod with a few more bars, for no particular reason other than I sometimes felt the coals fell through a little early
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191003_113434fg.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	303.5 KB 
ID:	31405
    Poor material choice: What you want to use is a steel with high temperature oxidation resistance, i.e. one that contains tons of chromium and aluminum, as only these elements form oxides that do not easily peel off. As per https://www.enpropipe.com/sucker-rod/, sucker rod is a high tensile, but otherwise plain carbon steel with just enough alloys added to allow it to be heat treated, with next to nothing in chromium or aluminum. Next time, try to get some stainless steel - it's going to eventually fail, but nowhere as quickly as the carbon steel you have chosen. At the temperatures your grate is going to experience, that heat treatment is going to be forgotten the first time you light a fire on it. After all, you'll want a smokeless, efficient fire, and that means temperatures of 800-1000 Celsius, not the paltry 400 Celsius or so up to which SAE 4130 and colleagues can maintain their heat treatment.
    When heating to 1000 Celsius, steel bar changes its length by roughly 1%. Since this heating is not uniform, this thermal expansion produces high stresses inside the grate, which, it not balanced by generous use of stiffeners, will lead to serious deformation over time - as your old grate demonstrates. On the new grate, I would have added at least one more, better two, pieces of the 1" rod for stiffness, just to be on the safe side and keep far away from the regime where Euler buckling commences. As a rule of thumb, try to keep the openings in your grate as close to circles / squares as possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rlm98253 View Post
    But this is the age of the internet, and it knows all.

Wikipedia even has an entire article devoted to it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucker_rod

and Google images will provide lots of pictures of the item.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    But this is the age of the internet, and it knows all.

Wikipedia even has an entire article devoted to it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucker_rod

and Google images will provide lots of pictures of the item.
    Yes and this will tell why I so frequently use them in making things
    the grades of steel in them even the lowest grade makes them Ideal to repurpose for many things
    Finding 1 of the higher grades is an added plus
    https://petrowiki.org/Sucker_rods

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Here's a stove grate I made, a helper showed up so I named it "chicken on the BBQ"

wood stove log grate-2011-09-27_chicken_on_bbq.jpg

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Here's a stove grate I made, a helper showed up so I named it "chicken on the BBQ"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-09-27_Chicken_on_BBQ.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	455.8 KB 
ID:	31451
    build a fire under it and call it charred chuk

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    This is an interesting wiki, that also runs on MediaWiki, the free software that Wikipedia uses. MediaWiki is easy to install, extremely well developed and robust, and once you learn the wiki syntax, you can breeze through making and organizing pages.

Thread Information