Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Worker unsure how to use pallet jack - photo

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Speaking of the poor quality of the education system in today's world.
    I am not so sure it was much better in some regions even back in the late 60's early70s.
    I had been thought of as being educationally stupid, a term actually used by my 2nd grade teacher, due to my dyslexia. It wasn't until I accidently discovered that I could understand the written page by the use of colored cellophane which almost overnight transformed my level of comprehension in my studies which had improved to the point my leaping so far ahead of the rest of my classmates by midway through the 3rd I was bumped into the 4th and once again in the 7th,school eventually became so boring for me that I quit mid way through the 9th after being exempted from all midterm exams. I forced myself to return the following year but shucked it off again in mid term. I halfheartedly attempted returning the 3rd time but that time once the mid term exams came around and I had been exempted once again only by now I was taking freshman sophomore and Junior classes The heck with this I thought and joined the Army got my GED then it was converted to a HS diploma, I had needed only 2 credits to graduate but according to the rules I would have had to attend school a full 2 1/2 more years to graduate. Stuff that I had 60 hours of college by the time the class I had started the 1st grade with I was well on my way to having a 2 year college degree because after I had my first 20 hours I had learned that I could get hours by challenging the final exam. If I passed it I received the hours if not I was out the cost and took course.
    Both of my daughters attended what they called magnet schools which were advanced school in the public school system Today my oldest is a Pharmacist and the youngest has a 20 years teaching carrier under her belt Even though she now holds a masters degree she refuses to do anything but teach the 3rd grade. Her reasoning is1 she loves what she does 2 she is always on the look out for that student who is smart but doesn't seem to be able to grasp the context of their studies. Through the years she has instituted several programs which has helped several students overcome their learning disabilities.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Oct 3, 2021), NortonDommi (Oct 3, 2021)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Speaking of the poor quality of the education system in today's world.
    I am not so sure it was much better in some regions even back in the late 60's early70s.
    I had been thought of as being educationally stupid, a term actually used by my 2nd grade teacher, due to my dyslexia. It wasn't until I accidently discovered that I could understand the written page by the use of colored cellophane which almost overnight transformed my level of comprehension in my studies which had improved to the point my leaping so far ahead of the rest of my classmates by midway through the 3rd I was bumped into the 4th and once again in the 7th,school eventually became so boring for me that I quit mid way through the 9th after being exempted from all midterm exams. I forced myself to return the following year but shucked it off again in mid term. I halfheartedly attempted returning the 3rd time but that time once the mid term exams came around and I had been exempted once again only by now I was taking freshman sophomore and Junior classes The heck with this I thought and joined the Army got my GED then it was converted to a HS diploma, I had needed only 2 credits to graduate but according to the rules I would have had to attend school a full 2 1/2 more years to graduate. Stuff that I had 60 hours of college by the time the class I had started the 1st grade with I was well on my way to having a 2 year college degree because after I had my first 20 hours I had learned that I could get hours by challenging the final exam. If I passed it I received the hours if not I was out the cost and took course.
    Both of my daughters attended what they called magnet schools which were advanced school in the public school system Today my oldest is a Pharmacist and the youngest has a 20 years teaching carrier under her belt Even though she now holds a masters degree she refuses to do anything but teach the 3rd grade. Her reasoning is1 she loves what she does 2 she is always on the look out for that student who is smart but doesn't seem to be able to grasp the context of their studies. Through the years she has instituted several programs which has helped several students overcome their learning disabilities.
    I hear you. If I was a kid now I would be labelled autistic. As a kid I was just different. Had to learn somethings my way. It works up until now! Nice to hear that you met all the challenges.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Her reasoning is1 she loves what she does 2 she is always on the look out for that student who is smart but doesn't seem to be able to grasp the context of their studies. Through the years she has instituted several programs which has helped several students overcome their learning disabilities.
    Your teacher daughter sounds like the sort of person that a functioning education system sorely needs. Probably wouldn't make it through training collage these days.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    I hear you. If I was a kid now I would be labelled autistic. As a kid I was just different. Had to learn somethings my way. It works up until now! Nice to hear that you met all the challenges.
    You should have heard the words my mechanic dad had to say to my 2nd grade teacher when she made that statement.
    That boy has been tearing down carburetors distributers starters and generators since he was wearing diapers, and rebuilding them since he was 4, so the only person in this conversation who may be stupid is you teacher. Of course him being a retired Marine gunny he had many more eloquent words in his tirade.
    I had the same teacher for half of my 5th grade year as well. She was different, and by then I had adapted very well to my condition I had become a voracious reader but couldn't be bothered with the elementary school library I would make the 100 yard walk to the middle & high school library to check out books instead.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Oct 4, 2021)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    You should have heard the words my mechanic dad had to say to my 2nd grade teacher when she made that statement.
    That boy has been tearing down carburetors distributers starters and generators since he was wearing diapers, and rebuilding them since he was 4, so the only person in this conversation who may be stupid is you teacher. Of course him being a retired Marine gunny he had many more eloquent words in his tirade.
    I had the same teacher for half of my 5th grade year as well. She was different, and by then I had adapted very well to my condition I had become a voracious reader but couldn't be bothered with the elementary school library I would make the 100 yard walk to the middle & high school library to check out books instead.
    Exhausted the library. Me to by Grade four. We had three schools in my tiny town. K-3, 4-6 and 7-12. Each library became redundant to me rather rapidly. I discovered inter library loans. I was pulling in books from universities all over Canada. Moved outside Ottawa Ontario. There is a very large technical library at the national research council. I learned. And still am learning. The more I learn, the more questions I have!

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Exhausted the library. Me to by Grade four. We had three schools in my tiny town. K-3, 4-6 and 7-12. Each library became redundant to me rather rapidly. I discovered inter library loans. I was pulling in books from universities all over Canada. Moved outside Ottawa Ontario. There is a very large technical library at the national research council. I learned. And still am learning. The more I learn, the more questions I have!
    I can full well relate to exhausting the libraries at school. our school was only 2 buildings no such thing as K back then in my area it was 1st through 6 with 7&8 being middle even had graduations for 8th grade. then high school. I took over instructing shop for the coach while I was still in middle school Our coach was about as mechanically inclined as a certain 29 year bar maid from NYC.
    total student population 1-12 was less than 350

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Oct 4, 2021)

Thread Information