Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: WWII use of war dogs short film - video

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,775 Times in 9,896 Posts

WWII use of war dogs short film - video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

johncg (May 5, 2021), RetiredFAE (May 4, 2021), sacco1 (May 8, 2021), TheElderBrother (May 5, 2021)

Thanks
    I'm sure someone will snivel that this has nothing to do with homemade tools, but I am very grateful for having seen it. Very much so!

Thank you, Altair!

I will say this, though. The narrator is wrong in his assertion that the US did not train and use war dogs prior to WWII. I'm from Connecticut, and there is a great story about a dog named Sgt. Stubby that accompanied the Yankee Division all the way from training at the Yale campus in New Haven to France, and he was invaluable not just to morale, but as a messenger, and in carrying medical supplies up and down the line to medics. His remains are in a museum still.

Granted, Sgt. Stubby was more of a mascot, a stray adopted by the troops and not an asset bred and trained for the purpose, but dogs have a way of rising to whatever occasion they find themselves in, and they have played valuable roles in all of our conflicts from the very beginning. Stubby was a mutt, but he is still so revered by Connecticut that there was a movie made about him in 2018: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5314190/

Connecticut produces some amazing things...

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by TheElderBrother; May 5, 2021 at 04:24 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheElderBrother For This Useful Post:

Altair (May 6, 2021), sacco1 (May 8, 2021)

Thread Information