Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Home-made Lathe

Thanks

Dr.Al's Tools

Home-made Lathe

This is a photo of a home-made woodturning lathe that I made over the course of about a month (from 8/2/2024 to 10/3/2024):

Home-made Lathe-home_made_lathe.jpg

The design was heavily influenced by the sizes of various bits of material I already had lying around. The only things I bought in order to make the lathe were a motor (£10 from ebay) and a variable speed drive (£50 from amazon). Everything else was stuff I had lying around (although I have to admit I did have a rather ridiculous amount of material lying around waiting for a project ).

I'd never even used a wood turning lathe before, so I had a lot to learn!

Home-made Lathe-1003_first_turn_result_1.jpg

The lathe has a 128 mm centre height, so can swing a maximum realistic diameter of about 250 mm. The bed is 1 metre long; I haven't measured the maximum between centres distance but I'd guess it's about 700 mm or perhaps a bit less. Both headstock and tailstock have MT2 tapers; the headstock has an M33×3.5 thread for mounting a chuck. I've tried the variable speed drive with spindle speeds up to about 3500 rpm, although I mostly run it much slower.

It was, without any doubt, the most challenging and complex metalworking project I've ever done, but I really enjoyed the process of figuring out how to make it, especially figuring out how to make the "banjo" (tool rest mount) move back and forth, rotate, and slide along the bed and then lock with a single lever.

I filmed my first (and second) ever attempt at using a woodturning lathe (also using a home-made roughing gouge):

While I was making the lathe, I posted regular updates on my website. There is a 36 page build log (with 396 photos and a couple of short videos) describing everything I did when making the lathe. The build starts at this link: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/woodwork/powe...the/blog/page1

I also made a simple "Lazy Susan" tool holder, with skateboard bearings to make it rotate freely:

Home-made Lathe-lazy_susan.jpg

Home-made Lathe-3dprinted_morse_taper_holder.jpg

Some of the things I've made with it so far. Firstly, some new handles for my chisels:

Home-made Lathe-chisels_fitted_to_handles.jpg

Secondly, a small bowl and some pens and pencils:

Home-made Lathe-sycamore_bowl_and_pens.jpg

A big beech bowl (made mostly to try out turning something close to the maximum diameter the lathe could handle):

Home-made Lathe-beech_bowl_finished_on_lathe.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Metalworking projects site: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/metalwork
    Woodworking projects site: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/woodwork

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Al For This Useful Post:

drivermark (Apr 6, 2024), Jon (Apr 3, 2024), nova_robotics (Apr 2, 2024)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,657 Posts

Thanks Dr.Al! We've added your Woodturning Lathe to our Wood Lathes category,
    as well as to your builder page: Dr.Al's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,002 Times in 11,392 Posts
    Congratulations Dr.Al - your Woodturning Lathe is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

This is an excellent woodturning lathe build, and the 36-page guide on your website will make it much easier for other people to build on their own.

Some more nice builds from this week:

Surface Polisher by troyhaack
    Precision Vise Square Modification by Mook
    Tap Follower by Philip Davies

Dr.Al - you'll be receiving a $100 cash prize, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and prize choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

More importantly - this is your 5th Homemade Tool of the Week win!

You join these other 5-Time Homemade Tool of the Week winners: rgsparber, rossbotics, Christophe Mineau, Brendon, Frank S, mklotz, Vyacheslav.Nevolya, brianhw, LMMasterMariner, jjr2001, Tuomas, olderdan, tonyfoale, bobs409, thehomeengineer, celsoari, Stevohdee, Dimitris Polychronis, warsztatOdZera, Mark Presling, AB-SHOP, Occasional machinist, and My MiniCrafts.

You'll notice the 5-Time Homemade Tool of the Week award trophy graphic in your postbit beneath your avatar.

Here are all five of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools. Congrats again

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information