Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: ‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table

Supporting Member MetalDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools

‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table

I needed more space in my Workshop but also wanted to store my Jeep inside when not using the workshop, so I designed this Over-the-Jeep Lift Table that also works as a Gantry-Lift with a 1-Ton Chain Hoist when the tabletop is removed from the metal frame.

Designed it using SolidWorks CAD Software and made concept image renderings, and then cut metal, and welded the Lift-Table.

‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table-over_jeep_lift_table.jpg‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table-workshop_lift_table.jpg

When I want to use the table in a lower position I just pull out the Jeep and connect the tabletop section with a Eye-Bolt in a hole in the center of the tabletop to the overhead chain hoist and lift up slightly to loosen the legs connection bolts, then pull out the bolts, lower the table down as low as 36" and then put the leg bolts back in to secure the table height.

‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table-up_and_down_view.jpg

Adjustable scaffolding type Cross-Braces have many different places to connect and the legs and gantry stands have many holes allowing for different heights.

The table can roll on the six 360 turning wheels and/or can be stabilized on the 6 threaded foot pads allowing also the table to be leveled if needed.

‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table-table-over-jeep.jpg

As you can see from the photographs the tabletop can be lifted up and turned and lowered off of the Metal Gantry frame with the chain hoist and then the unit can be used as a Gantry Lift with the same 1-Ton Chain hoist. The overhead gantry can be lowered to clear the shop garage door height and also raised up to over 10ft.

‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table-finished-gantry-frame.jpg

I used this Gantry Hoist Frame to lift both my Metal Lathe and Milling Machine onto their stands with the chain hoist.

If anyone wants the mechanical drawing plans for free in PDF format you can get a hold of me on Twitter at @MetalDesigner or via a comment on my blog at ‘Over Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table | CTM Projects

‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table-small_workshop_lift_table_1.jpg

On the Blog or Twitter (@MetalDesigner) you can also view and/or request mechanical drawings for free in PDF (Adobe Acrobat Reader) format for the smaller scissor lift workshop table that raises and lowers with the use of the Cordless Drill turning a Nut welded to ACME leadscrew thread on CTM Projects blog at: Small Workshop Lift-Table | CTM Projects

‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table-small_workshop_lift_table_5.jpg

CHEERS!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; Dec 4, 2013 at 05:35 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetalDesigner For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Apr 30, 2016), bobs409 (Feb 7, 2020), DIYer (Dec 5, 2013), kbalch (Dec 5, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanks MetalDesigner! I've added your Over-The-Jeep Lift Table to our Metalworking and Jacks and Lifts categories, as well as to your builder page: MetalDesigner's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Now this is something that I am going to have to consider. The only difference is I need to fit it over the hood of my 65 MGB.
    Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    It would work great over your 65 MGB ~ The table height with MGB under it would be much lower than my Jeep to the point you may never have to lower or raise the tabletop.

The Extension Arm has been one of the most helpful items on it ... Use it all the time to lift items on and off the table over 50 pounds and under 250 pounds.
    https://ctmprojectsblog.wordpress.co...extension-arm/

I sent Ken all the Plans for the Gantry Table (Over the Jeep Table ) to HomemadeTool.net to give away as FREE examples of their Marketplace drawings ... Maybe if you contact them they will send you the plans and images or provide you with a link ... If not now, possibly soon.

plans@homemadetools.net

Very detailed dimensional drawings & high-res images ... Spent a lot of time on them so would like people like yourself to be able to view them.

‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table-table-render-07.jpg

‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table-example-plans-1.jpg

‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table-example-plans-2.jpg

‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table-example-plans-3.jpg

CHEERS!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetalDesigner For This Useful Post:

Captn Roy (Sep 6, 2021), PJs (May 7, 2016)

Thanks
    Excellent design Metal Designer. You mentioned being able to lift your lathe, and milling machine, and place them on their respective stands. Your design is perfect for the shop, and I am certain it will see a lot of use.
    I have been trying to think of something I could use to move, and or, lift some heavy items. This is it, and thank you again.

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hal698 View Post
    Excellent design Metal Designer. You mentioned being able to lift your lathe, and milling machine, and place them on their respective stands. Your design is perfect for the shop, and I am certain it will see a lot of use.
    I have been trying to think of something I could use to move, and or, lift some heavy items. This is it, and thank you again.
    It has been a very helpful addition to my Small Workshop Area
    https://ctmprojectsblog.wordpress.co...-welding-area/

‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table-compact-welding-area.jpg

The additional 4ft x 8ft tabletop area is a lot of extra space even if it is in the high position over the Jeep's hood.

When need to use it as just the Gantry Frame to lift items like the Lathe, the Gantry & Chain Hoist actually works to lift off the tabletop and it tilt it a bit and then turn it and set it on the floor.

However, I have found it is just easier to use my little scissor jack table to lift the big tabletop up a little and roll it off.
    https://ctmprojectsblog.wordpress.co...op-lift-table/

‘Over the Jeep’ Workshop Lift-Table-lifting-tabletop-small-scissor-lift.jpg

I'm sure they are still very busy setting up the Marketplace, so if they don't post those Free Download Drawings I made showing how to make this 'Gantry Workshop Table' by the time you are ready to build your unit, please feel free to send me a PM and I will get the drawings I made to you.
    https://ctmprojectsblog.wordpress.co...op-lift-table/

CHEERS!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; May 2, 2016 at 01:44 PM.

Thread Information