Paul Jones (07-13-2016)
I have been trying to get the perfect shape for the F cab windshield and I made a pattern for a mold. The shape has been scaled from the full size to 1:32 and is made with the seal. I loaded the program on my Anilam controller and had to delete all of my other programs just to get this file on my machine, about 4000 steps. Here is the beginning of the operation. Bob.
Here is what I have been doing in the last few days. I made a mold of the heavyweight doors so that they will open and be a split door. *I am still trying to make the perfect E and F series windshields. *I am trying to make the windshields, so that I may retro fit them into any one gauge E or F series loco. *I am designing them so that when installed in the loco, there will be no glass to make it easier for painting and then there will be a ring in the shape of the windshield, to be installed from the inside to hold the glass in. *I am using .020 Lexan for the glass, also making the side windows for the loco, and here are some pictures of the patterns and molds. Bob.
*Well here are the glass panels. *I cut them with a tool that I made, a vinyl cutter. *This tool was made to cut just .005 material, but I ran it through twice and it scored the .020 Lexan enough so that it broke away clean. They came out just like I wanted them to. *I have to draw just one more part to complete the assy. then I will attempt to install them in an MTH cab and the other cab that I made the mold for. Here are some pictures. Bob.
I should have described the cutting tool a little better. The blade in the cutter rotates 360 degrees and protrudes about .005 in. The blade is mounted with a spring loaded pad and moves about .250 in. for uneven surfaces. The blade was purchased at a vinyl cutting supply store and adapted to my tool. Thanks Paul. Bob.
Post your reply!
Join 42,532 of us and get 500+ tool plans, tool eBooks, build guides, and much more.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)